Trouble installing new shocks.

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
So I just got 4 new Bilstein shocks and the front ones went on just fine. However, I am having trouble with the rubber on the rear 2. The rubber is making it hard to put the shocks onto the bolts attached to the car. They seem too tight to get on. I have tried grease and freezing the rubber, but it still won't go on all the way. How can I get these on? Thanks

I like using windex for stuff like that, but if grease doesn't even help...any chance there is a difference in size front to back an you got them swapped somehow?

if your sure its right, and it should fit, grab a socket and pound them on

Front and back are completely different, no chance to mix them up. They are a tight fit, usually what I do, is to push and twist and "walk" them on, if that makes any sense.

I've tried all of thone things, except "walking" on it, since I'm under the car when installing the shocks. The studs that the shocks attach to are a little too big, so I'm going to file down the rubber a little bit and see if that works

WD 40 on the rubber in the shock eye. Thats about the only thing wd40 does good is lube rubber and clean stuff.

When I had trouble with the gas tank seal, I put it on the filler tube and let it sit in the oven at 1050° F for about 15 - 20 minutes so the rubber could expand a little with the pin in the center...

Have you thought about putting the stud in the end of the shock, then let it sit in an oven at 150° for a while to let it "loosen up"... When the rubber is warm, the molecules can creep/relax and it may help expand the inner diameter if you have the stud in there while you heat it and let it soak in heat for a while... Most rubber can take up to 250° before melting, so 150° is pretty safe as long as the shock can withstand it, and it should since temps coming off some black top roads in summer can reach those temps...

Or if you are concerned about heating the shock up, is there a way to just do the end part? Maybe a heat gun or hair drier for a while with the stud in. Can you use the stud plate stud for it?

We've also used those "torpedo" heaters in the garage and let parts sit in front of them, but you have to watch the distance because those can be very hot. I feel the oven is a more controlled heating source to prevent overheating and damaging the rubber...

I actually just put an extended socket into the hole where the rubber is. I put one in that was a little toops big and then I used a mallet to push it through. Then, I boiled that end of the shock absorber and now I'm letting it cool. Ill post how it goes

I actually just put an extended socket into the hole where the rubber is. I put one in that was a little toops big and then I used a mallet to push it through. Then, I boiled that end of the shock absorber and now I'm letting it cool. Ill post how it goes

That's a good alternative... Let it cool with the socket in, so the rubber takes a set to the larger diameter...

So, what's for dinner??? Shock soup... - LOL! :D

It was still a small, so I just did the socket the size up from last time. I'm going to check the other sockets on the other shock now. If I don't post anything about it, that means it was still too small and I moved up a size again

It was still a small, so I just did the socket the size up from last time. I'm going to check the other sockets on the other shock now. If I don't post anything about it, that means it was still too small and I moved up a size again

Yes, keep stepping it up a size until you get it to fit... :thumbsup:

-
Back