trouble with engine running when put in gear

-

timmy.1953

timmy.1953
Reaction score
hi guys ,just put on new carb and fuel pump ,car idles fine at 950 rpms then when put in drive it dies ,360v8 any help would be a blessing ,thanks tim

Have you checked for vacuum leaks around the intake runners and carb?

What carburetor did you put on it. I had to play with my idle control screw to get my car to idle the way I wanted it too. My car used to stall at lights and going around turns. Turned the idle up on it a bit and the issue was gone.

To choose or need,such a high idle, the cam would need to be pretty big. Even my old 292/509 would idle at 750.
So im gonna assume your tune is out to lunch.
In order to help you, we will need to know a few things. Approximate cam size, initial timing, carb model,PCV?, approximate TC stall or is it stock? Vacuum advance hooked up how; spark port or full-time manifold vacuum?

Lets say its an edelbrock 600 carb, 484 lift cam,and a 2500 stall converter.
Lets say you're running a PCV, and the V-can is hooked to the sparkport.
That cam will like 16* minimum initial timing. It will probably do well with 4 to 6 more.So disconnect the V-can, plug the port,crank 18* into it, pull the idle speed down,and reset the mixture screws. Put a vacuum gauge on the sparkport. If it reads more than 4inches, the butterflies are still too far open.Back out the idle speed screw. If idle speed falls below 750, or the engine wants to quit, crank some more timing into it. reset the mixture screws as may be required.Try to get the sparkport vacuum as close to 2inches or less, as possible, without cranking more than about 24* initial into it, and with having a nice stable idle of between 700 and 800. I know it can be done with the 292/509, so it should be easy with the 284/484. If you get to the point of thinking of cranking more than 24* of initial into it, shut the engine off, and immediately restart it. If the starter handles the 24* okay without kicking back, then yes, you can increase the idle timing.But really it shouldnt require more than 24*.
With the E600, you have to keep your eye on the step-up pistons. If the manifold vacuum falls too low, they may have a tendency to rise and start dumping fuel. If that happens you will need to swap out the springs under them, for softer ones.
That cam should idle at 11 inches or better when set like this.
Once you get the idle-timing squared away,and the idle quality stabilized,try putting it in gear. Have an assistant with eyes on the step-up pistons. If they pop-up,they will flood the engine, and possibly stall it. So if that happens, swap the springs out for softer ones.And retry. If the TC drags the idle speed down such that it becomes unstable, you may need to increase the idle speed a bit.
If it just doesnt seem to work, crank 2* more timing into it and start over.
After you get this bugged out, you will have to go back into the dizzy and re-engineer the advance cam to limit the power timing.Do not floor it until the power timing is reduced to 36* or so.
Then you can fine tune the rate of advance to suit the engine.
And finally, reconnect the vacuum advance can, and fine tune that baby.
I made a few assumptions in the beginning.Hope I was close.

many thanks to aj/forms this worked out great car is running fine ended up at 18* idlee at 750rpm in park and 550 in drive thanks again ,timmy.1953

IMO if you are seeing a 200+ rpm drop when put in gear you need a different convertor.

With the engine warmed up, I would try 20*. If the idle speed goes up, that would be a good thing. Reset it. Try 700/park. reset the mixture screws. Try in gear. See if the in gear idle will come up. What we're trying to do here is to get the engine to make a little more idle torque, so the TC wont drag it down.
Like Rocco said, the TC should not drag it down, 200+rpm,. And like I said in an earlier post; that TC seems a little tight.
Make sure the metering rods stay down. Check that he spark-port vacuum is down to under 4 inches; under 2 is better, 0 is best.

And dont forget to limit your power-timing to 34 to 36 degrees.Do not floor it until thats done.

bought a dial timing light motor is at 24* vacum is at 2 inches best i could get ,runniing at 700 in drive and 700 in gear ,thanks for all the help,tim

Yahoo!
Good job Timmy. Two inches on the sparkport will be ok. Now,Dont forget about limiting the power timing.
I gotta tell you something tho. I think your compression is down. That cam should not need 24*, unless the engine is lazy, or per roccodart: the TC is too tight. So I have to recommend a compression test.
Tell me something; What rear gears are back there? What does the TC flash stall to? And how hard does that engine launch?

took timing to 20* and vacum went to 5 inches didnt run as good ,i do have 355 gears and just do the small shows we dont race,just cruise

Timmy
I really think that there is something wrong in your tune. Since the compression test doesnt seem to be forthcoming, Can you tell me what the MANIFOLD vacuum is now, at 24* initial and 750 rpm in park or neutral.
And what size cam is in it, if you know.
Something is off.

ill take a compression test tomorow and let you know,car seems to run decent at 24* and 2 inches of vacum ,but im always willing to make it better,thanks timmy

If you actually have 2 inches of MANIFOLD vacuum at idle, you have a problem. Make sure you are not reading a ported vacuum signal. If carb has a pull off for the choke that is vacuum operated, that is a good place to check manifold vacuum.:burnout: MT

Not at all AJ. I was lurking and picked up on your response to timmy.

thanks again

aj compression on all 8 cylinder is 142 to 147,cam is 292 484 lift, paper work i got with car shows 2400 stall converter

And the MANIFOLD vacuum? And TC flash stall? And rear gear ratio?

That cam is pretty big for an A/T, but more so for the cylinder pressure you are running.Im surprised that you got it to idle down to 700rpm. In fact I think that might be a little low. But if you are not having any idle tip-in or hesitation problems, it might be ok. I still think 24* should not be required, but perhaps with the lower cylinder pressure, there may be that requirement.The 24* is probably compensating for the low idle speed.
I would certainly try to tune it at 20*, with the idle speed higher, perhaps 750 to 800ish. I dont like to idle too slow with flat tappet cams and todays oils.

I've never run pressure that low.But I'm beginning to suspect the cam-timing is off.
But as an occasional cruiser, I suppose it will be ok, if your TC is at least 2800.
I wouldnt want to run it though, at that pressure. It would be much happier at 165psi, and at 185 it will come alive.
I think it was roccodart who said he thought the TC was too tight, and Id have to agree, pending stall report.
If you find this combo a little sluggish off the line, and doesnt really wake up until much further on down the line, I would reassess the combo, starting with the cylinder pressure.

"i dont know how to fix this,tim" Post 17. What is this referring to?

-
Back