trouble with new plug wires and distributer

-
Try this. Remove #1 plug, stick your finger in the hole and have someone bump the engine over until you feel pressure trying to force it out (compression stroke). Bring the piston to TDC.

Remove the cap on the distributor and see where the rotor is pointing.

Report back.

Try this. Remove #1 plug, stick your finger in the hole and have someone bump the engine over until you feel pressure trying to force it out (compression stroke). Bring the piston to TDC.

Report back.

^^^^^Do This!^^^^^^^^

Report back.
I guess my post wasn't clear enough

Here's what mine looks like with the MP distributor.
Balancer on zero (compression stroke)
Cap off pointing to #1
Cap installed and numbered
Firing order
Your distributor may be indexed differently. Start where the "dizzy" points and make that #1 on your cap. Follow with the rest working around the cap one at a time.

Attachments

• TDCBalancer.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 231
  • CapRemoved.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 218
  • CapInstalled.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 219
  • FireOrd.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 216
Here's what mine looks like with the MP distributor.
Balancer on zero (compression stroke)
Cap off pointing to #1
Cap installed and numbered
Firing order
Your distributor may be indexed differently. Start where the "dizzy" points and make that #1 on your cap. Follow with the rest working around the cap one at a time.

Great job!

you do know that the pump drive has to be clocked to get the diz in correctly?

Factory "correctly" yes, but it'll run slapped in the there at any position as long as the firing order is correct and no1 plug wire is in the right place in relationship to the rotor.

Factory "correctly" yes, but it'll run slapped in the there at any position as long as the firing order is correct and no1 plug wire is in the right place in relationship to the rotor.

Very true, but I always wonder why folks just don't recommend learning the correct way. Not you specifically, but I see lot's of folks saying the same thing. To me, it's too easy to just clock it correctly and go from there.

With the STOCK distributor, that pump/distributor drive slot is straight forward and back to get the #1 pointing as the picture I posted.
There is in fact a procedure page 9-58 in the '69 Plymouth FSM to align the drive "correctly".

We all like "plug-n-play" these days? I learned of the clocking differences years ago with my purchase of a Mallory dual point. It was WTF then for me too, so I guess I wanted "plug-n-play" back then.

The issue I feel is with the aftermarket stuff not being the "same". I'd guess Chrysler doesn't hold a patent on the clocking position of a distributor. I can't figure out why aftermarket mfg. would change it. Maybe someone here knows y-in-da-el they make it different.

The issue I feel is with the aftermarket stuff not being the "same". I'd guess Chrysler doesn't hold a patent on the clocking position of a distributor. I can't figure out why aftermarket mfg. would change it. Maybe someone here knows y-in-da-el they make it different.

They make one basic distributor and modify it to fit different engines. And they know that "clocking" is basically nonsense.

Find #1 firing position as described several times above. Wherever the rotor is pointing is #1. That's where #1 plug wire goes, and the rest get connected in the F/O. Start it up, set the timing... that's it. The secret is to "Keep It Simple Stupid".

as all ways Dave did a great job. that info should get any one straight. but i will add a saying my dad came up with. back in the day when we didnt have the internet. Mopar dist cap wiring... vent
My dad made this saying about chrysler V8 small and big block dist cap wireing. To reduce wiring confuseion. “the small block has the dist in the wrong place, in the back of the engine. BUT the shaft rotates the right way clockwise. The big block has the dist in the right place, in the front of the engine BUT the shaft rotates the wrong direction counterclockwise. Both wire #5 and #7 on both ALL ways have #5 before #7 on the cap AND block. And most / some stock V8s have the fireing order cast in to the intake manifold. AND: DO plug the vent with JB-weld. Keeps the moursture out.

Found problem the accel wires were falling apart in th boot causing it not to spark or not spark at all. MSD wires fixed it.

-
Back