Troubleshoot or Just Pull It?

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
I have a rather odd dilemma. So I’ve been plagued with 2 bad thrust bearing failures. The last one was minor so I just changed the bearings with the crank-in and changed my torque converter. I suspected it was ballooning or the torque converter pressures were too high. I have the engine in and running but I have a dead cylinder. Intake valve seat took some damage. I dropped a washer in the intake during the bearing change and turned the crank over by hand and wrecked it just right.

So I haven’t had much run time on the engine but I was really wanting to check my transmission and converter pressures before I pull the intake and head. Is there any chance of further damaging anything else by running the engine with a load to do these transmission checks? I have MPFI so I can just drop fuel to the dead cylinder so it wont wash out rings. I really just need to run up the engine to 2500 in gear.

Well if the washer is not in there any more, then the only thing that could be a problem IMHO is if the vale is bent and somehow kisses a pistons due to that. But if it is running now, then it seems OK to go to 2500 RPM.

Washer was removed after realizing it interfered while turning over by hand when doing the bearings.

I borrowed a scope tonight and sure enough, a large burr is on the seat. Valve didn’t appear to be damaged. I don’t think it is bent either. I can spin the valve in the guide without interference. Cylinder leaked rate was 95%. :BangHead:

I’ll run it tomorrow and check transmission pressures.

A better ending than my missing bolt down the intake that hid behind a valve stem LOL

-
Back