Truck 727 for my Dart.

-

Chopper 7

Reaction score
Hello, I'm putting a mild 360 in my 67 /6 Dart. Will the 767 TF that I have fit no problem? P3898866 5463 7274 I think its from a 76 small block truck. Also I appreciate the importance of a high quality converter in a high performance vehicle but this it a pretty luke warm 360. Any off the shelf converter recommendations would be appreciated. Engine is low comp, Comp XE268H-10 (.477 .488 @.050 224 230), performer intake and 650 carb. Going to be a cruiser. Thanks for any help.

If it's a light truck it'll fit but if your Dart has a floor shifter the trans may not have the needed lower shifter linkage mounting tabs.

A 268XE cam in a low compression 360 isn't the best match and may not have a bunch of low end torque. For that reason I would only use a converter built for it. Any off the shelf converter is a shot in the dark IMO.

BTW: I see you stated you already have the 727 but you might want to consider selling or swapping it for a 904. It'll be faster, more fuel efficient, and plenty reliable for what your doing. JMHO

My car is a floor shift console and I do have a 904 from a donor car I'm just not sure of its condition and thought I shouldn't put any money in it.

My car is a floor shift console and I do have a 904 from a donor car I'm just not sure of its condition and thought I shouldn't put any money in it.

Ok. If you want to use the 727 here's a picture I modified with an arrow pointing to the 2 bracket mounting tabs it has to have for a factory floor shift. A truck trans. can have them but most don't.

BTW: you realize your going to need a new driveshaft with the 727, right? Not positive but I think the shift linkage may be different also. The cooler lines will need modified also.

JMHO but if it were mine I'd rebuild the 904 before I went through all that work just to lose 30 HP and 2 mpg. Again that's just my opinion. You do what pleases you.

Attachments

• 727 Extension housing pic 2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 132
Wow didnt know about the 30hp difference! I always thought the performance gain was just less weight. My 904 was behind a 76 Scamp 318 it is complete w/ converter and linkage. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to go with the 727 just for a mild 360. Would the 318 converter stall higher behind the new 360? Thanks for the help Fishy.

Wow didnt know about the 30hp difference! I always thought the performance gain was just less weight. My 904 was behind a 76 Scamp 318 it is complete w/ converter and linkage. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to go with the 727 just for a mild 360. Would the 318 converter stall higher behind the new 360? Thanks for the help Fishy.

Sorry I meant to say 20 HP difference. I need to proof read things better. Still 20hp is a good amount and less weight helps too. Since the parts are quite a bit lighter there's less rotational mass and friction (albeit the friction is difference is very minor) to absorb power. Yes the converter should stall a little higher behind the 360 but to use it you'll either have to weld balance weights on it or run a B&M balance plate because the 360 is externally balances vs. the 318 being internally balanced. Here's a link to the flexplate you need on Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239/overview/make/dodge

Them little buggers sure have gone up since I bought one. Used to be about $60.

-
Back