Truck noise

-

Csommers

Reaction score
so please forgive me for owning something other than a Mopar lol. I have a 94 Toyota pickup with a SBC 400 mated to the Toyota 5 speed. This thing has been a champ. I haven't been driving it due to work so I started it up today, last time I started it was in like October. Fired right up with a good battery. Now excuse the messy wires but there seems to be a tick coming from the left side of the engine. I believe it's in the valvetrain area. It's does accelerate with throttle but I only here it on one side of the engine on top of the head. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks!

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

You didn't say, but if it's a hydraulic lifter setup it may very well go away on it's own with a little run time.

That video is horrible in the sound department, but I think I heard it right at the end of it.

You didn't say, but if it's a hydraulic lifter setup it may very well go away on it's own with a little run time.

That video is horrible in the sound department, but I think I heard it right at the end of it.

Good ol iPhone. I believe the factory cam was hydraulic. This has been running and driving around the block for 30-45 minutes and it was at the same pitch/ noise level. Thanks!

Good ol iPhone. I believe the factory cam was hydraulic. This has been running and driving around the block for 30-45 minutes and it was at the same pitch/ noise level. Thanks!

Sometimes it will be gone the next time you fire it up after it sits (sometimes an hour later, and sometimes a day) :D
My 318 used to do that.
One day I'd fire it up and tick until I ran it for awhile, and the next day no tick at all.

-
Back