Truck timing cover mod

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided to do this cause I have seen these mods done by company's and they want your kidney as payment. This mod is done so the truck engine can use the car intake manifold or the 6.1 manifold. You will have to make 2 brackets to mount the alt. and a/c compressor but since tou put in the Hemi it shouldn't be an issue. Also you will need to get a longer belt. I can do this for ya on an exchange basis, and the cost is dirt cheap or you can do it yourself. Pics will be posted as I move along on this project, and I'm only doing this cause I want to help out, not trying to get rich, so if ya have any questions, post them here or send me a pm.

Looking forward to seeing more of what you've got going! Should be WELL worth it!

As you can see I made my alt. and a/c brackets and this is what you would have to do also. I'm sure that you could make some, and probably better than what I did. The pics are of whats on my car now and I'm using my spacers, this is just to give ya an idea of what you need to do.

Now for the hard part. I need a volunteer (sucker,lol) who wants to have the car or 6.1 intake on their truck motor to step up and help me out. What I will do is send you my cover, you send me yours, you put it and let me know if it needs anymore cutting, if not, it's yours and I keep the one you sent. This is for the 1st person that steps up (send pm) and the rest will be on an exchange basis.

Attachments

• 07172012 001.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 781
  • 07172012 010.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 723
  • 07172012 009.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 728
  • 07172012 008.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 07172012 007.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 738
  • 07172012 006.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 07172012 005.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 716
  • 07172012 004.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 743
  • 07172012 003.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 740
  • 07172012 002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 749
A few more! Sorry about the last pic, my 3 yr daughter got crazy.

Attachments

• 07172012 015.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 705
  • 07172012 014.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 732
  • 07172012 013.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 683
  • 07172012 012.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 701
  • 07172012 011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 711
  • 07172012 010.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 711
That's impressive work! If I didn't already have the car cover, I'd be VERY interested.

Thanks for the comments fella's. Yep, there are tons of the truck covers out there. I did this for the guy(s) that want to use the car or 6.1 intake....this just makes it alot easier to do. Modernmuscle wants alot of $$ for this, so even though that 2 brackets have to be made, you save tons of money, even if you do it yourself.

Making a couple of simple brackets isn't very difficult and is a huge cost savings compared to paying people large amounts of money for spacers or machining to the timing cover.

Good work for showing it can be done and hopefully inspiring some others.

oh and for those doing their own cutting a great place to get some supplies from:

www.heleta.com Best prices I have found.

I would be interested in sending you my truck cover. I won't be able to get to my car for at least 2 weeks. I keep it at a buddies house which is about 100 miles away. When I get up the next time. So if you are still looking for a cover I will pm you and rip mine off.

Aj

I'll jump in and offer up some help. Send me your brackets and I'll copy them on my CNC plasma and offer them to anyone for cost of steel used. Then all people will need is to make spacers.

Better yet, take them apart and post pics, with measurements and I can fab them. I have a truck cover here for mock up. To verify fit after cutting. I will gladly do it for anyone, but they will be raw steel and need paint done by the owner.

03ramit1, that is a good idea, but somebody may be using a different alt and compressor and the brackets would be different. I'm using the factory alt. and a sanden compressor and while the compressor bracket worked on the oem compressor, I had to make a new one cause the mounting space between the ears was a tad wider. Plus someone may not like what I did and have an idea of their own, drilled holes in the bracket for eye candy for instance, also they may not like the heim joint I used and want to make it different. If there is some interest in what brackets I use and people want to use that style, then I say we go for it.

All this may be true, and if it is true that yours are not what they want they can make their own.
Don't hold yourself back now because of maybe's down the road.

03ramit1, that is a good idea, but somebody may be using a different alt and compressor and the brackets would be different. I'm using the factory alt. and a sanden compressor and while the compressor bracket worked on the oem compressor, I had to make a new one cause the mounting space between the ears was a tad wider. Plus someone may not like what I did and have an idea of their own, drilled holes in the bracket for eye candy for instance, also they may not like the heim joint I used and want to make it different. If there is some interest in what brackets I use and people want to use that style, then I say we go for it.

TrailBeast, that is a good point. I guess it's just nerves talking cause my design would be out there and open to criticisum.

I still need to get some tubing and tabs. Then I can burn those in and the alt. bracket will be done. Here's a few pics...enjoy!

Attachments

• 7-25-2012 001.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 7-25-2012 002.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 7-25-2012 003.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 550
  • 7-25-2012 004.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 558
This is the space that I gained with my 1.5 inch spacers to clear the top of the truck timing cover. I also made the aluminum plate to help keep the heat off the bottom of the intake. With the timing cover shaved down there wont be a need for the spacers, but I'm looking into making some 1/2 inch spacers from delrin to keep the heat down further.

Attachments

• 01-25-11 276.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 583
I came up with an idea for the factory ac or sanden compressor, just need to finalize it.

Waiting on the tubing to get here to finish the alt. and compressor mount. Meanwhile, the delrin showed up and I got busy with that. I love working with this stuff. Since I will be doing heads and cam this winter, I setting up the delrin for the 6.1 manifold, pics will be posted soon. Also since I'm out on disability, I'm doing all the port work at home.....man I miss the cnc's, lol!!

Well I modified my timing cover while still on the engine, and it was a pain in the ***. It took me almost 4 hours using my makita grinder with flap disc, air saw, drill, dremel, and my shop vac. I suppose I could have pulled the timing cover off and did it that way, but I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and did not want to pull the radiator so I had more room to get a puller on the dampner. The 6.1 intake is back on along with the high temp 1/2 inch thick spacer/adapter. I'll shoot a cruise with it tomorrow and see how it does. Now I need to find a spot for the catch can looks good and not out of place.

Looks good! As soon as funds permit I will be contacting you again. This will save.me lots of $$$ instead if buying spacers, or car front ect.

Thanks, Aj

-
Back