True or false

-

pauly v.100

Reaction score
FABO posted a pic of my car on facebook and for the most part the response has been good, except one guy insists that all mopars came with matte black finish on the radiator support except for black and dark blue colored cars.
I disagree, so who is correct? thanks- pauly

From what I understand. Yes. They did that so you could not see the body color through the grill. Now some had that area painted more or less depending on where it was built and who did it. Some are most all black and others just a taste. Then there could have been a few that got out of there with out it done at all.

I'd bet it depends on the plant and who was running the pain gun that shift. They obviously didn't send much time in prep or masking, more like "spray and pray.

Yep;from the old workers that I have talked to in St Louis,they should have been flat black-unless the painter was on break/hungover/out of paint/didn't show up-etc.The main objective was to paint but it was an assembly line and not rocket science.

True. The supports should be painted black. tmm

True. I know the guys at Mopar Action always slam a car if the radiator yoke is'nt blacked out.
My opinion is it looks better blacked out.

Im bettin that every car, regardless of color, was painted black on the radiator support at the factory. They couldnt have given the paint guy a choice depending on what color car was in front of him at that time. "here's the paint gun", "there is the line", "paint until we tell you to stop"!:shock:

Who has that red Dart with the red radiator supports, and a very shiny grill? You can see that support like a black bra through a white knit sweater....a little distracting...the bra I mean...

True I have also seen some of the dark green cars painted black and some not painted black.

Hmmmm, I have some radiator supports in line right now for a Long Island customer. Time to send him an email .......

Thanks for this Pauly, and for all the responses. You guys might've helped another member gain a few trophies in the future without even knowing it. :-D

Yes this is true. All paint colors received the blackout unless the car paint was black or dark blue. There might be dark green cars that didn't get it, but in thirty plus years in the hobby, I have never seen one. By the way, no two are just alike as they were painted by people not robots. Done before wiring and hood latches. On dusters the the fenders and rest of body was painted. No bumper or grille in place. I also think it should be there no matter the level of restoration. See super nice cars at shows that you can see support through grille and it just does not look right. IMO....

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. I used to stand fast that all were blacked out until I looked at the front of my 73 Road Runner. I never thought to take pics directly, but if you look real close.....

Attachments

• sale day 1204 331.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 278
  • vaca cars dinga 154.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 271
can't we just say that this is what the factory wanted the guys on the line to do but things happen? like d5667 said, it was no where near as controled then, as now. car companies didn't get to building late 70's crap all at once, they spent years getting it right, urr wrong...
every time someone has a one-of-none, even if the build sheet and tag don't back it up, it's still possible they built it like that.

a friend of my dad's right out high school got a job at the van nuys GM plant in 56'. they had him installing instrument clusters on one of the body lines and half way throught the day the boss comes over yelling at him that they build stick cars and automatics "so quit putting the wrong ones in". he didn't know. no one told him. whether they fixed them or let go that way, who knows.

if your doing a show car restoration you better build it like everyone say's it should be or be able to back up how you did it.
personaly, i like the rad support blacked out...

edit: my 74' G2 Frosty Green Poly is not blacked out...guess it was beer-thirty when it went by that station

can't we just say that this is what the factory wanted the guys on the line to do but things happen? like d5667 said, it was no where near as controled then, as now. car companies didn't get to building late 70's crap all at once, they spent years getting it right, urr wrong...
every time someone has a one-of-none, even if the build sheet and tag don't back it up, it's still possible they built it like that.

a friend of my dad's right out high school got a job at the van nuys GM plant in 56'. they had him installing instrument clusters on one of the body lines and half way throught the day the boss comes over yelling at him that they build stick cars and automatics "so quit putting the wrong ones in". he didn't know. no one told him. whether they fixed them or let go that way, who knows.

if your doing a show car restoration you better build it like everyone say's it should be or be able to back up how you did it.
personaly, i like the rad support blacked out...

edit: my 74' G2 Frosty Green Poly is not blacked out...guess it was beer-thirty when it went by that station

This^^^^^

Ya should've seen the thread on this over on the B body site about a year ago or so.

I would never argue that there were cars that came down the pipeline that were missed. Never say never when it comes to the Mopar hobby, but that being said, were they to suppose to have the rad support painted black on cars unless they were very dark colors? Yes..

Attachments

• rear end 340 car 001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 246
  • rear end 340 car 003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 255
  • rear end 340 car 004.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 238
  • rear end 340 car 006.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 248
By the way , if you look in the third photo of this original paint car you will see that the bumper filler was in place during this painting procedure. You can still see the bumper filler tabs received some black paint.

FABO posted a pic of my car on facebook and for the most part the response has been good, except one guy insists that all mopars came with matte black finish on the radiator support except for black and dark blue colored cars.
I disagree, so who is correct? thanks- pauly

Yes :cheers: I seen your Car of the day :cheers: Outstanding MoPar for sure :thumbrig:

I was the one that designed that grill and wanted everyone to see it with
a black background :glasses2: A beautifully designed grill if I say so myself..
If I recall correctly :idea1: If most/many had a small fender bender in its younger life the repaired are most likely got painted just because
they did not know to put a matt of black back.. some of my best work was designing that one :eek:ccasion:

I will not claim this to be a true factful reply :D:evil3: Just a thought :toothy8:8-[
It sure was great seeing yours pauly

My 2 cents

They should be blacked out

It is to make the grill pop

Body color the grill is lost

Have seen many restored cars without the blackout, looks as tacky as a blacked out engine compartment on a MOPAR, JUST AINT RIGHT

Mine isn't blacked out, it is the same dark blue as all the exterior trim on my car, engine & stripe, but the grill is dark blue instead of black also

pleased to see you guys think like I do about body coloured support panles....it's a shame that many top cars in OZ don't have it done! most people here not only use body colour but they make sure it's as glossy as the rest of the paint.......gross!

-
Back