Trunk Carpeting

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I am in the process of refinishing the trunk in my car. I.e. Mini tub, trunk mount battery.

I want to add side protectors/dividers and carpeting.

If any of you have pictures of a carpeted trunk and or a good source for carpeting i'd appreciate it

I used masonite ( that hard peg board stuff without holes ) to make some panels and glued carpet to them. I made them tight enough to be press fit. I also made a panel similar to the pass through panel that space Dusters had. The carpet on the floor of the trunk is just glued down while forming with a heat gun.
Now that it's getting redone, I'm doing it in black this time. This was my daily driver and it got dirty really quick.

Attachments

• IMG00010-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG00011-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 370
Here's same thing using masonite then covering in vinyl on the sides and carpet on the floor. It is held in place at the sides by press fit.

Attachments

• 100_3208.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_3203.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 355
momoparman, I've seen the pics of that before and it's gorgeous! I was just looking for the post to link it. I did mine just to cover the metal trunk for my driver.

PoisonDart74
Unfortunately no, these were taken a few years ago.
The inner fender wells are one piece, the floor is one piece and the filler tube is just wrapped with the seam on the bottom. I made cardboard templates for the sides and middle, cut so they fall into place, then when wrapped with carpet, they fit tight.

The funny thing about when I did that was that it only took a day and I had all of the stuff laying around the garage except for the masonite. I think this was a $20 project. Even if I had to buy the stuff it wouldn't have been more than about $50-$60 to do.

I've done the fold down seat swap and the new setup will be a complete overhaul.
I'll be adding subs in the quarter panels hidden by panels similar to the ones in the pics. I'm also thinking of doing a skinny aluminum spare so I'm able to have a flat trunk floor. I was also able to find the rear tail panel cover from a space duster. Everything will be black carpet this time around.
After it's all done it will look like it came that way from the factory, not over the top with leather, LED's, or amps, just nicely functional. After all this will be my daily driver as soon as it's done.
Oh, I'll be posting it up when complete... with behind the scenes pics so everyone can see how I did it. ;) It's pretty easy to do, but gets harder when you start thinking about adding fasteners to hold the panels in place and adding "features" like compartments and lights and such.

RoccoDart440, As you can see there's everything from a basic carpet job like mine to something like momoparman's to stuff that only belongs in a show queen with TV's and crap like that. Not saying that having a TV in the trunk isn't wicked cool, just not on my car :lol:

There is a guy on here that did the trunk with neoprene. Looks awesome. Maybe "young gun" I could be wrong.

Very nice indeed. Never would have thought to use neoprene. After reading thru the post, I was reminded of the "other" reason for the side panels. One corner taken too fast with anything in the trunk will leave little points in the quarter panel ( dents from the inside out ) :banghead:

Nice...

Either way you go it's not to expensive....like the man said if you do the labor yourself. I think I dropped $300.00 total on mine and half of that was on the vinyl I had to buy from Legendary. They're real proud of that stuff. My buddy sewed up the patterns I made for him and I did the rest.

I just wonder how slick the neoprene is. Then again with a trunk that nice i don't think I would ever put anything back there.

I found a local appholtery shop that sells 80/20 loop for 20$ a yeard. I am cutting it to size and then he'll bind and stich it for an additional charge. Should have my cutom carpet for under 100$ is all goes well.

I am a car audio guy so I have done some pretty eleborate trunks. Still, panels made out of 1/4 MDF, 1/2" MDF or even particle board or 1/4" ABS plastic is good if you have some embarrassing wetness in your trunk...hehe...

I did a '65 Malibu SS with pretty much 1/2" MDF, 1/4" inserts and high pile trunk carpet as well. I mixed in a bit of marine grade vinyl as well for depth.

Attachments

• trunksmall.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 208
Not into the big stereo stuff but that trunk looks great.

-
Back