Trunk Divider

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Ok, rookie question here...

I've installed the trunk divider and now have the jute/insulation to put in.

Does the jute go on the side that faces the back seat or the side that faces the trunk?

My guess is that it goes on the side facing the back seat, so you can't see it when you look into the trunk. Pics below...

Thanks for the help.

0228202253.jpg
0228202253b.jpg

Hi John,
I was going to put the Jute in my car and a wise restoration guy cautioned me about attracting rodents.
Apparently mice Love to eat, sleep and nest in the Jute, it contains natural fibers, like the old hemp ropes. (I was shocked to hear this).
It would have been hard for me to guarantee a rodent free winterization, so I threw my $12 Jute food source in the garbage. Use Dynamat, or something like that instead, especially if you can't see it.
Good luck,
Joe

Last edited:
Lots of cars didn't get anything else but the divider. I'll second what Joey said. If you garage is rodent free, not an issue.

I agree with the rodent issue. I have seen this on cars with rear window defogger motors. Not sure the year. I would say to keep the noise down or insulation. I never used it. usually they were falling apart. They were glued to the cardboard . What side? I don't remember. I would put it on your creeper when its cold out.

Hi John,
I was going to put the Jute in my car and a wise restoration guy cautioned me about attracting rodents.
Apparently mice Love to eat, sleep and nest in the Jute, it contains natural fibers, like the old hemp ropes. (I was shocked to hear this).
It would have been hard for me to guarantee a rodent free winterization, so I threw my $12 Jute food source in the garbage. Use Dynamat, or something like that instead, especially if you can't see it.
Good luck,
Joe

Oh, wow. Ok good to know. I'll stick with Dynamat. Thanks for the info.

You can also fill a couple old socks with moth balls. Pitch one in the trunk, and one under the hood. Then roll the windows up tight. Rodents do not like that camphor smell.

We used to winterize our travel trailer we left parked on site year round at the Jersey shore this way. Never got any rodents. Our neighbors ended up having them ruin theirs. In the springtime they found them nested in their silverware drawers using the curtains and seat cushion fabric to make nests. Easy clean up in the spring since mothballs dissolve over time. Just pick up the tied off socks when dewinterizing in the spring, and roll the windows down.

If worried about rodents, I would do that anyways even if you dont use jute, since they will use the burlap under your seats, hollow out the seat foam, and chew on wiring harnesses. Them little fuckers can find the damndest places to build nests too.

Upon taking my sons car apart for a reskinning I found nests inside ALL the framerails, packed inside the C pillar structure on both sides, and packed inside both rocker panels. I had to shove a shop vac tube inside from the back all the way up to the front on each rocker to pull out old seat stuffing, and pecan shells.

Last edited:
-
Back