Trunk panel removal

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
Replacing the 3 pans in the trunk. Do I need to brace my truck before removing the floor panels in the trunk?

Great question, I'm going to use this info eventually as well. I don't need to change the outside light panel but was wondering about bracing the 2 quarter panels in position. I'm no where near this point yet, have you used the search button yet? So much good info here but I find alot of it gets buried deep into threads.

Great question, I'm going to use this info eventually as well. I don't need to change the outside light panel but was wondering about bracing the 2 quarter panels in position. I'm no where near this point yet, have you used the search button yet? So much good info here but I find alot of it gets buried deep into threads.
I just need to replace the floor panels. I been trying to look but havent seen an answer to kf

I just need to replace the floor panels. I been trying to look but havent seen an answer to kf
I typed" trunk panel removal" in search and a couple threads came up. " quarter panel salvenging tips" was one of them, if no one chimes in, I guess we'll have to use bits and pieces of info. Good luck!

Can't hurt but my gut says no as the frame rails, light panel and quaters will keep things in place.

I recall a number of GYC episodes over the years replacing trunk floors

I just searched in FABO for "trunk floor replacement" and there are a bunch

I was told to put jack stands under frame rails keep doors closed check gaps , before,durning,and while welding in new pieces remove all unnessary weight , hope this helps

I’ve done quite a few in my welding shop.

You can put jack stands under the frame rails and even level the frame rails with a level. That keeps everything even because the springs after a few years are uneven.
But the floors and trunk are one of the few places on a uni-body it’s not as critical. But if you can level everything then you know for sure when your done your good.
Good luck.
Joe

I’ve done quite a few in my welding shop.

You can put jack stands under the frame rails and even level the frame rails with a level. That keeps everything even because the springs after a few years are uneven.
But the floors and trunk are one of the few places on a uni-body it’s not as critical. But if you can level everything then you know for sure when your done your good.
Good luck.
Joe
So get all 4 corners of the car up on stands or just the rear?when you level do you level it all for direction, or just left to right.

Level is level. Square the trunk up by laying a level across the spare tire or frame rail to frame rail. Side to side and front to back. You don’t have to put the whole car on 4 jack stands unless you want to.
You need to possibly shim the stands to get to level. Again- not needed but it will insure you get best results.

Remember unless your garage floor or driveway or concrete pad and is perfectly level the car still may not be. It’s just how we do it in our shop to insure the new trunk floor has no twists or issues.
Joe

Level is level. Square the trunk up by laying a level across the spare tire or frame rail to frame rail. Side to side and front to back. You don’t have to put the whole car on 4 jack stands unless you want to.
You need to possibly shim the stands to get to level. Again- not needed but it will insure you get best results.

Remember unless your garage floor or driveway or concrete pad and is perfectly level the car still may not be. It’s just how we do it in our shop to insure the new trunk floor has no twists or issues.
Joe
Thanks

-
Back