trunnion

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 4-5 early a cars i'm piecing back together. in question is 65 273 cuda. I have a drive shaft that is shorter than the ones for the darts of course. I got the boot part way out and got a bunch of dirt and rust to fall out and it actually moves some now. took of the front cover. good grease on the " balls". my question is can I now soak this thing in rust pentrant, ( mixture of aft and acetone).?? or should I just attach and run some.
I have a 8 3/4 out of 65 b body I will eventually drop in.
I've been priecing this car ( 65 263 cuda) back together since last spring. got the engine/ tranny in and maybe in week or so it will be ready to start. ( I was faster when I was younger!???).....
a member on here is going to send the trunnion off his driveshaft he doesn't use. I have the need for several! LOL thanks

I looked them up. see nothing for trunnion joints. I have local shop that has made plenty of slip joint conversions, but $300 odd dollars isn't on my plate for the several cars i'm putting together! I want to at least use the trunnion for the slant cars. like to do the conversion joinjt for the the 273's. thanks

If you take the trunnion apart for service,, be REALLY aware of the small shims behind the balls,, and their location.. If you need to replace the boot,, I've found it easiest to press out the pin,, and remove the trunnion,, however I've read that some folks have been able to sneak the new boot thru the trunnion..

cheers..

there is a driveshaft shop in springfield I talked to. the guy has been there a long time. he said he has never been able to get one apart to rebuild it. just wondering if this is possible. maybe he just wants to build me a new conversion shaft???????

Just find someone with a press,, remove balls/end caps, be aware of the balls having needle brgs like a u-joint cap,, keep tiny shims in order,.. with a vernier caliper, measure pin exposure from shaft, (ie centering)..
hardest part is finding someone to hold up the other end of the shaft, as you press the pin out using suitable deep socket, etc..

clean it all up,, check pin for wear,, repack needle brgs/caps/, PUT ON BOOT, grease up and install trunnion,, assemby is reverse of above.. , if you can't exactly center the pin,, use the tiny selective shims to offset either side to make both sides equal length to the outside of the end-cap.. that's harder to read than do..lol

hope it helps..

thanks for the advice! I hope to find a shop to do it and NOT want to make a conversion joint!!! I do want to have the conversion joint made for the 273 cars, but the slant cars i'm piecing back together I want to use the old trunnions.
I don't have a press. have one at work ( will return there next april). the mechanic there can do anything, but has done too many dubbies in the past to trust his work!! LOL I will persevere!!!!!

a member on here is going to send the trunnion off his driveshaft he doesn't use. I have the need for several! LOL thanks

Do you still need a driveshaft with the B & T? I have at least 1 and maybe 2 or 3 - I'd have to look. Whatever I have you can have for the cost of shipping.

-
Back