Trying to buy a 360 , quick question

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys had a question , I've been thinking about buying a 360 for my dart , got a 318 in there now . I found a 360 that's from 85 dodge , some guy selling it in my area running , still in car . I was wondering if there is any difference in a 85 360 or like a 73 360 ? They both la blocks .

I figured it was the same , with minor things done to it like the compression and etc.. . I was just curious , didint wanna make a mistake buying it . Also it's 500$ for it nothing done to it besides a offenhouser intake Holley carb I think rebuilt not long ago but not sure . What do you guys think, should I get it , and is that a decent price ?

Thanks

Pass on it. You could go pull a magnum at pull n fart for $200-300 and be ahead of the game. These engines past 300k with a smile on their face.

If you decide to go magnum, better do a leakdown test on it first. Do a quick search on "cracked magnum heads" and youll see. Also, the earlier 308 heads are equally as bad about cracking too.

If you decide to go magnum, better do a leakdown test on it first. Do a quick search on "cracked magnum heads" and youll see. Also, the earlier 308 heads are equally as bad about cracking too.

True of all the induction hardened heads, so pretty much mid seventies on. Most of the run down the road just fine. And if you get heads without hardened seats, you have to have hardened seats installed. Always a trade off.

360's didn't start getting roller cams until '89, same with the 308 heads. Before that they're all about the same unless you're talking about the first few years, which supposedly have better castings.

Ok guys thanks for all the info , maybe I will go with the magnum 360 , seems like much easier when I could pull it out a junk yard , and not deal with sketchy people on Craigslist haha . That engine I was looking at was a complete scam . Thanks again

Keep in mind that 360s are externally balanced, you may need to change the TC or flywheel.

-
Back