trying to find a replacement heater core that FITS!

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Trying to replace the heater core in my 67 Dart (no ac). Tried a readi air and one tube hit the top of the slot through the heater box, tried tweeking the tubes slightly and broke the solder joints at the heater core. Ordered a Spectrum Premium from Rock Auto and am having the same problem. The readi air looked like it had crappy solder joints to begin with, the spectrum is aluminum but looks like it has better solder joints. Any tips or comments?
Thanks
Aaron
The heater core had a small leak. The stock heater core that I am replacing drops in and sits perfect

Put a Spectrum piece in Jake's 65 and had the same problem... We did manage to tweak the tube juuuuust enough with no damage to the rest of it.....

I have a Vintage Heater in my 64 Signet, made by Vintage Air and I could not be happier. Its small, has 3 speeds and 2 defroster ducts. The unit is easily installed under the dash and the heater duct opens and closes automatically. This heater works fantastic and I hardly ever need it on high. Check out the size of it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-506101

I have a Vintage Heater in my 64 Signet, made by Vintage Air and I could not be happier. Its small, has 3 speeds and 2 defroster ducts. The unit is easily installed under the dash and the heater duct opens and closes automatically. This heater works fantastic and I hardly ever need it on high. Check out the size of it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-506101

COOL! PLease, if ya can, post some pics of your install, and where you ran your heater hoses, as I assume this still has a mini heater core? Gets rid of the blower motor stickin out of the firewall. :)

I'll take a photo sometime today and yes, there is nothing sticking out of the firewall except for two hoses going to the engine. The whole unit is very compact and completely self sufficient.. BTW, my Signet is insulated well under the carpet and the carpet extends from under dash near the windshield to the trunk. Its just the way I needed it to be with the engine and road noise. The heater unit is under the dash off center towards the passenger side and the hoses run through the firewall in front of the glove compartment. Along time ago I removed the original heater along with the original vent boxes on each side because they were troublesome as I am sure you know what I mean with those doors. I than installed a Vintage Air and heat system which I discarded two years ago and installed this heater. Even though my car is black on black, I just could see needing AC for one month of the year. I'll try for photos within the hour...

Could take it to a radiator shop and have them re solder it. Measure what you need and have them redo it.

Could take it to a radiator shop and have them re solder it. Measure what you need and have them redo it.

Yes you will likely have to do this. I tried three different cores and finally had to have it modified. None of them even came close to fitting the heater box. One was so ridiculous that I didn't even leave the store with it to compare. It has to be pretty exact to fit correctly.

Four years ago I got a replacement heater core from Napa for the 67 Dart non AC heater box, it fit perfectly.

i know this thread is old. i just wanted to mention that when needing to tweek the heater core so it will fit, try and find a large spring that will just fit inside the hard line. that will help keep the line from kinking and give you enough control to bend it without breaking the solder joint. the last one i did from Quest Auto needed to have one line moved almost and inch and a half.

POS :protest:

-
Back