Trying to find any information on my car and 340 engine

-

AZ-Nick

Reaction score
I purchased this 69 Swinger 340 in the San Diego area 9 months ago and I was told that the owner passed away a year or two earlier. I was told that he had bought the Dart at a local S California car show of some sort, approximately 4 or 5 years ago and didn’t do much to the car, I am not sure if I was given the truth or total BS.
I have been working on the Dart whenever I can fixing numerous issues and garage restoring what I can do and I’m in my 70’s so I am not fast anymore.
What I would like to find anyone who may have any information about this car.
Originally from the factory it came with a white vinyl top and a white stripe.
I’m sure it was at the track sometime in its life because it has subframe connectors.
Trying to find out anything about the motor, what was done when it was rebuilt.
It is loaded with options including Auto, A/C, PB, PS and much much more.
If anyone has any information on this I will appreciate it.
Thanks

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

Based on what you have provided, I can tell you that your car is green right now.
Thanks for helping me, you must have remembered it from seeing it, Yep you’re right, it’s Green. Maybe someone else in California can recognize it

Thanks for helping me, you must have remembered it from seeing it, Yep you’re right, it’s Green. Maybe someone else in California can recognize it
i mean, is there any unique work or identifying items on it? stickers on the dash, interesting set up of valve covers/air cleaner, or anything of that nature?

i'm in SoCal and i've seen two green 69 darts today... so some kind of identifiers would help-- besides the not OG california black plate.

Yes, I remember seeing it in some photos in a forum thread by some guy named Nick or somethin. Other non visible details are hard to find because my crystal ball is not with me at this time.

Also, the car looks to be lowered.

Last edited:
Does the car have a certacard?

Sometimes you can find the family of the original owner.

It’s funny. We want the history of the car but honestly at this point in time…
Does it matter. Unless you take the engine apart and verify internals you have to assume the engine is stock.
The car is over 50 years old and you are not the original owner so assume it is completely modified until you verify everything vs going off the memory of people who wrote that car off years ago.
I wish you “good luck.” In your quest. But sadly, without knowing the car it’s entire life, you need to spend a lot of energy and possibly getting no where.
Syleng1

Yes, I remember seeing it in some photos in a forum thread by some guy named Nick or somethin. Other non visible details are hard to find because my crystal ball is not with me at this time.

Aslo, the car looks to be lowered.
Aslo? His name is Nick not Aslo :lol:

Department of Motor vehicles vehicle identification records might give you the information of who owned the car at the time it was sold at the car show.

It’s funny. We want the history of the car but honestly at this point in time…
Does it matter. Unless you take the engine apart and verify internals you have to assume the engine is stock.
The car is over 50 years old and you are not the original owner so assume it is completely modified until you verify everything vs going off the memory of people who wrote that car off years ago.
I wish you “good luck.” In your quest. But sadly, without knowing the car it’s entire life, you need to spend a lot of energy and possibly getting no where.
Syleng1
Just trying to get lucky finding someone who may know the car and any history of it. To me it would be easier this way than tearing it down.

Also, the car looks to be lowered.
Lowered! That’s interesting, I need to look into that.

i mean, is there any unique work or identifying items on it? stickers on the dash, interesting set up of valve covers/air cleaner, or anything of that nature?

i'm in SoCal and i've seen two green 69 darts today... so some kind of identifiers would help-- besides the not OG california black plate.
Only two unique things.

1. Vinyl top is not the typical Mopar texture, see picture.

2. 340 pie tin on a non mopar air cleaner

3. Loaded with options, but A/C has been removed.

As I said earlier, originally it came with White top and white stripe.

IMG_5195.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpeg

It's a beautiful car, no matter what has been done to it in its lifetime! Me personally, I like the black top and stripe better than I would white, if it were mine. You can get it up on jack stands in your garage and check the engine and transmission to see if the VIN on the dash matches what is stamped on the engine and transmission. The VIN pad on the engine is on the passenger side on the oil pan rail, just above the top edge of the pan where it is bolted to the block. It is near the drain plug you will see in the side of the block. The VIN pad on the 727 is also on the passenger side, so you will only have to crawl under it once! I'm 67, so I can appreciate stuff like that...lol. Look for a raised pad on the passenger side of the bellhousing of the transmission, kind of behind where the dipstick tube enters the transmission. Maybe you will get lucky and the numbers stamped into those pads will match the VIN on the dash. It could be the last 8 numbers of VIN, or it could be the entire number in a 1969 vehicle. Also (not Aslo), I wouldn't fret the frame connectors being there....they only help! Congrats on finding such a nice Dart.

:thumbsup:

Maybe because of tire size, 215/70R???
Not much of a height difference compared to the 195/75R14 on my car. As long you are not out of downward travel or badly bottoming out during normal driving then leave the ride height alone if you like the look. It's a sweet looking car and if everything is put together well then it shoudl be good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
The Block is a 70 with a different vin.
The heads are 69 and other items are dated 69.
The trans is correct vin number for the car.
Fender tag is there and I have decoded it, has many options but someone removed the A/C parts.

Not much of a height difference compared to the 195/75R14 on my car. As long you are not out of downward travel or badly bottoming out during normal driving then leave the ride height alone if you like the look. It's a sweet looking car and if everything is put together well then it shoul be good.
I think it drives great and no bottoming out.

Thanks for the reply.
The Block is a 70 with a different vin.
The heads are 69 and other items are dated 69.
The trans is correct vin number for the car.
Fender tag is there and I have decoded it, has many options but someone removed the A/C parts.
That breather cap is wrong for a 340 valve cover

-
Back