Trying to find the right wheel bearing

-

Grabmyhammer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm trying to find the right wheel bearings or wheel bearing kit for my 1972 plymouth duster. It's a drum brake car and I can't seem to find a for sure kit or wheel bearing for my car. It managed to grenade itself not far from leaving work so I had to limp it back as I didn't want it to turn into a 3 wheeler. I can't take the car apart to see the part numbers as I do have it at my work and I do need it to move under its own to shuttle the work trucks in and out of the shop. Plus we don't have room or Jack's as my coworker has his mustang ripped apart already. So any help in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Ordered a complete set from Cass at Dr Diiff for my 72 rear drum Duster. Timken bearings, braces, gaskets etc.

Front. I'm not sure on the diameter but ill check it out tomorrowto verify. It was originally a 318 car if that helps

1972 Duster 318, Rock Auto

Screenshot_20240131-225257_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240131-224624_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Most likely 10" drum with a 318.

Screenshot_20240131-205201.png

Screenshot_20240131-205005.png

These are what my disk brake and 10" drum brake cars take

Here are some American made bearings on ebay:

Screenshot_20240131-225729_Firefox.jpg

20240131_225859.jpg

Beware of any Chineseium made, as they are trouble.

☆☆☆☆☆

Chances are if the bearing is cooked, either spindle or hub or both are ruined too.

Well I managed to luck out on that. The spindle did manage to survive with no damage. Somehow only the outer bearing managed to get some Spalding and the race for the outer bearing isn't sitting in place. I can spin it by hand, I'm going to do both side with new inner, outer bearings and races with new drums aswell.

If the old cone spun in the hub you might need to get a new hub

@cudamark I ment i was able to spin the race one the drum while I had it off the car and not on the hub. I torn it all down to inspect for any damage. But I think I lucked out on the spindle as it has not serious wear or heat damage

The outer race is a press fit into the hub. If it just pushes in and/or spins in the hub, the hub is bad. The inner race is part of the cone assembly and is just a push fit on the spindle. There shouldn't be any slop on that fit, and any bluing or galling on the spindle and that should be replaced. The drum has nothing to do with the bearings. It's just attached to the hub with studs (which should be staked IMO).

Let's be sure we are all talking the same language...

The cone presses into the hub
The cage holds the rollers
The cup is the part that gets inserted and tightened with a nut to the spindle

The cup, rollers and cage typically comes as an assembly

View attachment 1716212075
I beg to differ on those definitions........at least what I and my fellows mechanics used as definitions over the past 50+ years. The race is what is pressed into the hub. The cone assembly is what consists of the rollers (or ball bearings on the older wheel bearings), cage (what holds the rollers in place), and the inner race.

According to Timkien...

None of us are right...

I deleted my post.

Screenshot_20240224-185425.png

Here is another option of terms

Screenshot_20240224-191109.png

Last edited:
-
Back