Trying to get 400hp from a 360

-

PWN

Reaction score
I'm trying to get around 400 horse power out of a 360 that will be a daily driver and use pump gas. I have a complete 360 that is going to be pulled apart for the block and then built up to (hopefully) the 400 horse power I want. Open to any and all proven combos. Looking to keep it around $5k and I hope that doesnt hinder this build.

As a side note, I've tried using the search function and came across a thread that was for 11 second combos...not too many were 360's but I'm thinking these would be different combos for a racer?

use KB107 pistons..
edelbrock air gap intake..

get a set of RHS/Indy heads from IMM...

holley 750 DP carb..

400HP out of a 360? piece of cake!
actually I think it would be harder not to get 400 horses out of a 360

use KB107 pistons..
edelbrock air gap intake..

get a set of RHS/Indy heads from IMM...

holley 750 DP carb..
And a 275HL comp cam, 1.6 rockers, and GOOD machine work.
I recommend the Scat I beam rods and a good balance job, but if that puts you over budget you can use stock rods with arp bolts.
Brian

Use what 70aarcuda and ou812 said, and you should get over 400 and stay under your budget. Remember, machining will probably cost somewhere around $1k with boring, honing, line bore/hone, decking, etc. Factor in you'll probably need a new converter with that cam if you have an auto.

IMO, you'll not need alot of cam to do this and most of your stock parts will be re-used.

From top to bottom;

750 cfm carb
RPM intake from Edelbrock
OE heads bowl ported w/bracket valve job w/2.02/1.60 valves
KB107 pistons. Comp ratio is pump gas freindly, not to exceed 10-1 but better than 9.0-1 This piston and head combo is probably good for a 9.8-1 ratio with a .040 head gasket. These pistons need not be at zero deck, but should NOT be a positive deck height at all. Slightly dwon in the hole is OK. Less the better.
New connecting rods can be purchased for cheaper than re-working OE rods.
A "Default 400 HP cam" would be a Comp Magnum cam @ 280 advertised, 230 @ 050 duration, .480 lift on a 110 centerline.
Headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust.
MP distributor and a high powered ignnition

tune this well and you'll have 400 hp.

Thanks all, I have a lot of parts to look up. This is a new hobby for me so I have a few questions of course about some of these combos...

Seems everyone agrees on the pistons and carb. The machine work stuff is way over my head at this point, but I 'd like to learn about it. Is this going to be a must for my horse power goal? What the most power you've seen a 360 pump out on pump gas? Maybe I undershot :)

Every part that can be aluminum or roller is what I should go for right?

Thanks again

Thanks all, I have a lot of parts to look up. This is a new hobby for me so I have a few questions of course about some of these combos...

Welcome to the hobby. Speed and power are like relgion, many ways to worship, many ways to achieve the goal.

Ask away!

Seems everyone agrees on the pistons and carb. The machine work stuff is way over my head at this point, but I 'd like to learn about it. Is this going to be a must for my horse power goal? What the most power you've seen a 360 pump out on pump gas? Maybe I undershot :)

Well, you'll need a decent compresion to get what you want. The piston mentioned over a few times is a low cost strong piston that makes a 9.5-1 to a 10-1+ ratio possible and easy.

Also, for performance comsiderations, a 750 is preety universal and just about perfect for most duties in and around the HP level mentioned. While a carb of more or less will deliver, this is the best all around choice.

Undershooting? I do not really get that, but I'll say this, pick a HP level or time to run in the 1/4 mile and the guys here can write you up a perscription.

Every part that can be aluminum or roller is what I should go for right?
NO! This is a illusion. While light weight and brand new have a certain sparkly thing to them, it is not allways needed. I suggested re-working your iron heads because they can and will deliver the good for less money for the goal you have set.

It may very well be easier and only slightly more expensive to purchase Edelbrock heads for this, but IMO, it is not needed. True, they have a higher ceiling of performance, again, it is not allways needed.

Things like a roller cam and roller rockers are excellent. They free up HP just by rolling instead of creating friction, a power robber. But there HP return on certain builds is a low power return for alot of money spent.

While your pocket may afford them and do so if you wish, a smart builder can look right passed this and still make good power, get excellent mileage or mow down the compotioon like a mower on a football feild.

Alot has to do with ethier the rules of the class or the budget (Wallet power)
If you got the money and want to spend it on a roller set up, by all means, do so. I know I will.

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Once last note, grab a few good books;

How to build and how to hot rod my small block Mopar as well as the factory engines book for your engine.
A chassis manual, factory repair manual for the body and electrical systems are very good to have.

I have a couple 360s and am considering building another motor for the fish so I don't blow up the 340. If I do it will probably be a 408 stroker. The guys who have done these building upon a used block and all other parts new spend on the order of $8K. But then again, that's a lot of moolah for a toy (I am not a racer, just a good weather daytime local driver).

Here is a thread on the topic:

http://www.mopar1.us/stroker.html

Basically a stock-port-headed 360 can make 400 hp if it's built well enough. If you use stock heads, to get the good work and parts, you will spend what a set of Brian's RHS heads go for, and the RHS head is better than a stock LA head. But, decide on heads before you order pistons. I would not use the flat tops with those heads. I'd use a forged dish and run a tight quench. Internally balance it, run a dual plane intake (Stealth, RPM, RPM air gap, .. whatever), a Street Avenger 670 carb, and a hydraulic cam around 230° @ .050 and you'll be there or more on pump swill.

Wow thanks for breaking that down Rumblefish. I chose 400 hp and $5k out of my arse really, no rhyme or reason. Money isn't an issue but I dont like wasting it. I have a lot of knowledge sources around me (family and friends) and to be honest I never even thought of looking for books.

This will not be a racer, just a daily driver as well Airwoofer. I have so many things to do and I'm so amped up to do them Im not getting anything done....I would love to do this entire project myself just for the experience of doing it, but I'm going to start buying some help.

Thanks again guys

just ask what chevy would do and you will get there
HUH? LOL
Wow thanks for breaking that down Rumblefish. I chose 400 hp and $5k out of my arse really, no rhyme or reason. Money isn't an issue but I dont like wasting it. I have a lot of knowledge sources around me (family and friends) and to be honest I never even thought of looking for books.

This will not be a racer, just a daily driver as well Airwoofer. I have so many things to do and I'm so amped up to do them Im not getting anything done....I would love to do this entire project myself just for the experience of doing it, but I'm going to start buying some help.

Thanks again guys

No problem. There are many ways to get the power your looking for. Some will yell out "Turbo or Super Charger" and while that isn't a bad idea, the engine has to be in good shape to start with.

Also, some do not like the idea of that and would prefur to build up a engine. Some will build up a very mild mill and wisper, "N02, use the ha ha gas!"

Many ways to make power, all with the same goal.

Grab some books and enjoy the read.

-
Back