Trying to sqeeze more out of my 340

-
Alcohol will do it, i had a very similar combo on gas and a victor 340 with a 830 and it would run 11.40s i switched to methanol and tuned it and it went 10.90s i think it would be your cheapest easiest way to do it

hi, chassis and convertor is where ET is made. the 60 ', times need to be improved. launch rpm, convertor flash, affects the 60' times. If you're leaving at idle, maybe try raising rpm, to get car moving harder and faster. can install a trans brake, or use a two step on launch. its a poor mans trans brake. can leave at higher rpm then. gets motor up in power range.
with two step, can mat the gas at full throttle and hold brakes , car will launch hard! almost all stockers use two step and they launch very hard!! also, two steps are cheaper vs other things mentioned. just things to consider. my buddy has a 69 340 dart, flat tappet cam, 750 carb, 10.6 cr, iron heads, has ran 11.18, @ 117 mph, 60 ' is 1.49 to 1.52 usually. he uses a two step on foot brake, at 3000 rpm. leaves with tires up!!

^^^ Good advise there. Launching off the 2 step helped my car a ton. Mine is wired in with line locks front and back, leaves off the button like a trans brake.

I maybe wrong but I run in local Pro class and there is no electrics and I believe the two step as good as it is, is on the list of no no. So then I would have to run a brake only. Which in the past I considered.

However I could try it for just running the weekly bracket night. This way I could see how it worked with my car.

The same with Super Stocks and adjustable shock. I have not found the best setting. I mistakenly had the shocks on full soft and got the 1.58 1.59. Then read for a foot brake go full hard. That did nothing it seem to like the softer setting.

on THE RETURN ROAD HIT IT IN HIGH GEAR AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE WHEN THE CONVERTOR GRABS BY WATCHING YOUR TACH. MINE IS A 5000 PTC 8" IT COMES IN @ 4200. WOULD HELP MY 60FT IF I LOOSENED IT UP.

2 step should be legal in pro bracket class, but not in sportsman though. Talk to you tech guys.

Also on the suspension - EVERY car is unique because of the differences in location and engineering. Don't read, experiment with your car, on your track, and keep track of the results in a log book.

hi, the 340, with pistons down @ .054, 65 ccheads, .039 gasket = 9.23 cr. samespecs, with .028 gasket = 9.46 cr. nhra specs are 9.32 cr.

2 step should be legal in pro bracket class, but not in sportsman though. Talk to your tech guys.

^^^^ I agree, a 2-step is not considered "electronics"....if you can use a trans-brake in your Pro class, then you can use a 2-step, but talk to your tech guys to be sure.

I run in Pro, and I'm one of about 4-5 guys in the field that foot-brake....everybody else is on the T-brake.

Thanks I will check but I seem to remember they categorized 2 step electronics. I thank everyone for the ideas they are all great.

Open headers? Collector extensions. Big oil pan. Less windage. Taller front tires. More roll out. Pinion angle check. Make sure your brakes are not dragging. Its the little things.

I do believe line locks,front and rear, are illegal per NHRAs rules. Then again,who's looking?

Alcohol,that's a winner. Just be sure your entire fuel system is compatible and user friendly. Because you will be draining the entire system any time the car sits for more than a few days.

Your cam specs are a good match for the heads. Your rpm range is way past what they will flow efficiently. These heads will run out of air past 6300 6500 rpm. Above that your HP & TQ. will fall off. What header size do you have (1.75 in. here) and how tall a tire are you running? The 904 maybe a little quicker because of the size of the components but it is also has half the strength (life span). Did you install forged hubs in your racing TF? I'd go to a 4:56
I ran 11.3 comp, ported J-heads (243 cfm), mopar solid cam .528 lift, M-1 manifold, 750 dp, 3800 stall, 727, 4:56.. 11.33, 118+

Is the cam straight up or advanced?

size of fuel line and fuel pressure ?

the 904 would be a performance increase but would require a new converter and driveshaft....so dont know if that would be cost effective...for about a 2 tenths improvement....the 904 will last just fine behind a 340 @ 3000 lbs...

TTI step 1 3/4 I don't like them. Half in fuel lines I don't know what the cam is set at and don't know what the inside of the 727. I checked the flash on convertor supposed to be 5200 coan stopped at 4000 so im missing something there.

Also the tires are 29 inch funny thing it really pulls hard through the traps. I do have some 4.56 I could switch over to.

-
Back