TTI Ceramic Header Rust Question

-

DallasMan2000

Reaction score
Anybody know the best way to clean these up? I heard these are the best and are surprised they have rust spots.

IMG_7017.jpeg

You can clean them up, but nothing will stop it from returning. You know what I have had GREAT success with getting rust stains off? A product in the home cleaning area at the grocery store called Bar Keepers Friend. It will FLAT get rust stains off.

I have been using white diamond polish with excellent results, works great on all metals. Can be found at Walmart and Advance Auto.

TTI did have a short run of problems with the ceramic platter they were using a few years ago.

Those headers are in there so tight I think it would take dynamite to get them out. I bought the car from another member of this forum that bought them new (I think). Headed to Wally World later this morning to pick up some White Diamond, steel wool, and Barkeepers Friend. Will post some pics once I try to clean them up.

If that does not work then maybe the dynomite.

TTI has had rust issues since the 90's, (google it) near impossible to get warranty from Canada with cross border issues.
My customers that complained, I gave a few hundred$$$ back, others I just replaced with Doug's, and sold off the rusty ones cheap.
Haven't used TTI since,- Doug's only.

It's not just TTI with rust coming from under the coating. I had some headers coated at JetHot back in the day that were showing signs of rust. They said that if the car sits for long periods of time moisture could develop under the coating. If you drive it regularly no problems.

Got all the stuff as suggested and cleaned up the first pipe. Here are before and after pictures.

Nice improvement. The barkeepers friend worked nicely and the White Diamond took off a little more discoloration plus shined it up. The 000 steel wool also took the rust off.

Is there any touch up paint for black areas that remain?

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

Rub some Anti-Sieze on those black spot areas.

Can do the whole tube, then polish them up with a Terry Cloth towel.

Like waxing them out. Have used this on chrome headers to make them look nice again.

Screenshot_20240821-212034_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Cleaned up both sides. Sure would be nice if TTI had some high heat touch up paint that matched. Will try the lube. Here is both sides after clean-up.

IMG_7027.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

VHT high temp silver. Spray some in a cup and brush it on not too heavy.
Let dry. Start car and run for a minute.Cool. Apply second coat.Repeat one minute.
Allow to cool. Should hold up,not forever but easy to retouch when necessary.

i've had a couple sets of coated headers get rusty over the years. DGM coated one set and jet hot coated the other.. both suppoed be a couple of the best places to have them done at the time... i will not pay for that garbage abymore.. give me bare and i'll coat them with eastwood or POR15 coatings so i can easily touch them up if need be.

Okay, I am happy now. Bought the VHT high temp silver and it worked great. Couple of after pics shown below. I am okay with retouching them up from time to time.

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_7047.jpeg

IMG_7048.jpeg

-
Back