TTI exhaust too loud

-
I didn`t realize you had cutouts on your system. It sounds like you`ve got a lot invested in it already but if you have cut outs then a 3 pass muffler would be a great way to go.

I don't have room for a 3-pass muffler system... too wide.

See attached pictures for the reason...

I am no longer strong enouh to be bench-presing these third members into the housin, so, I built myself a "helper" from a Harbor Freight transmission jack and some scrap metal I had lying around. Works great, BUT the third member is wide enough that it needs some room, laterally, that exceeds the space between the mufflers (Dyno-Max Super Turbos.) So, I trplced them with some muffles that are only 4"-wide (Pypes M-8-s) to give sufficient room to swap out the third member. These Pypes mufflers are only 4"-wide, and work great for the swap, but sound terrible...

That's why I thought some resonators in the back, by the bumper, might help.

If I hadn't put these smaller mufflers on, I'h have had to remove the mufflers every time I changed third members, and I'm not that ambitious...:profilel:

100_3343.jpg

I have 2 small block Challengers, Both with 2.5" TTI exhaust and Dynomax mufflers. One with the "H" pipe has the drone you are talking about around 2000 rpm. The "X" pipe system while a little quieter out the back at idle, has NONE of this drone. I guess something about the "X" eliminates it. I have also eliminated it on past cars with the round glasspacks installed next to the fuel tank.

When I bought my TTI system, they didn't sell an X-Pipe version, yet.

When I wrote and asked them if they were going to, they said, "No; the X-pipe thing is just a fad; we're not going to offer one."

True story...

Make sure what ever you get, its in the proper 18" can length. This was the original length for 340 A Bodies.

Straight through mufflers flow the best, and are actually pretty quiet IF they are used with the proper diameter pipe.

2.5" Exhaust is good for 500hp. Any more and all you are doing is making more noise.

I run Goerlich XCelerators in 18" 2.5 behind my stroker, and am pleased. Not silent, but good sounding. I had 16" 3" in/out Dynomax Superturbos and HATED them.

Also, try IMCO, which is what I believe Accurate sells.

Too loud?!?!? In the 60's and 70's they weren't loud enough, now it's come down to too loud? Don't get me started on neighbors complaining. I prefer to hear my car over a crying kid or obnoxious dog barking all day. :D

My Buddy has the TTI setup on his Dart with the Dynomax that came wiith the system and he is starting to complain more and more also about the resonance/drone effect at around 2000 - 2500 rpm range. His system is about 4 years old and it gets louder every year! He's now thinking of changing out his mufflers to something less noisy!

I have the TTI/Dynomax set up (2.5 inch) on my Dart Sport 340, and that's my reaction, too. This system is MUCH louder than the old Sonic Turbos and stock pipes I ran back in the day. Are the Accurate Exhaust mufflers that much quieter than the Dynomax? If so, I may have to investigate them.

I don't suppose you would have any sound btyes of your exhaust....
I am getting ready to order a tti setup myself

When I had the stock 340 in my car, hi-po manifolds, TTI 2 1/2 h-pipe, and dynomax muffler the drone around 2000 rpm was so bad it hurt my ears. I limited my vacuum advance to only add 10 degrees and the drone was gone.

TTI? Dynomax? I've had the same Sonic Turbo mufflers with a H pipe on my car since 1988! LOL
i had a set of those on my Ranger that I put a 302 in. they were behind the axle with short (18") tail pipes, thing sounded fantastic.....throaty but not loud

tti, H-pipe & Dynomax mufflers. Sounds better than all my Harleys. Kinda wish it were louder! In all seriousness, the only noise that wears on me is that cruising drone @ 2000-2200 RPM. Dissapears when I stick my foot into it a bit more.

I'm about to order some exhaust for my 408/TTI's, nice thread. I will say though, I just finished my interior, I put down roll on Herculiner bed liner, that thin foil insulite stuff, and carpet.

340 manifolds,Original 40 series Flowmasters,Radio Delete.
No sound deadener,dont need the weight.
Nice Loud Rumble ! Its a Muscle Car !!!!!!
Take yer skirt off !!! lol

i just put on a full 2.5 tti exhaust on my 70 Dart with manifolds and magnaflow super turbo's. The system went on very easy everything lined up no problems with fit no hacking no cutting. That was the good part the exhaust is very loud in the car. All kinds of strang harmonic sounds and vibrations. It sounds good at 1900 rpm but makes your head hurt around 2100 rpm and again around 3100. The car sounds good outside. You just can't drive it without all the new resinence Nothing hitting or rubbing and the old exhaust did not do this. Is there anything I can do or is this normal for a tti system. Has anybody had any luck with this system and another muffler?

Hey"

I've got Hooker Comps, TTi X, TTi muffler section, but I'm running dumps instead of tailpipes. I get a LOT of resonance in the car, and the exhaust itself is pretty darn loud. Granted my car also has the stock sound deadening (aka none).

I am thinking of trying the Dynomax Ultra Flow Welded mufflers. It doesn't make sense, but I've used them in the past and gotten less noise overall and lots less drone at 2000 ish. Magnaflows have worked for me also.

Steve

Great thread, but one question remains: What constitutes a "sleeper?" I have seen a Duster run 12's and you can barely hear it going down the track. Guy got the car on trade and had no idea what exhaust he was running. It looked like a basic dual set up, cheap headers and stock mufflers.
My Duster: Hooker headers, 2.5 pipes with Dynomax mufflers. TO LOUD LIKE EVERYONE ELSES here. Originally had Flowmasters, went to Magnaflows then the Dyno's and I did not notice a difference between the 3. It is draining/exhausting to drive. I dont have a trailer so I have to drive fair distances to small car meets or to the track. I have no idea how much Fatmat or Dynamat would affect the unbearable drone etc at highway speeds. It's ridiculous wearing ear plugs, so WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE A SLEEPER?

I had the same headache on my Dart also. Same setup with the TTI's. Had Flowmasters, Magnaflows and they both drove me deaf just cruising around not to mention getting on it and then it was over the top. Finally decided to go with Accurate Exhausts high flow factory style muffler and at least now I can enjoy driving the car and talk without yelling to the person sitting next to me. Yeah the new mufflers might not have as throaty of a tone as the others I've tried, but when I'm driving the car, I no longer have the urge to hurry up and drive it back home and park it so I can clear the resonance out of my head. I've also have the sound deadner under the carpet and into the rear seat area because I wanted to dampen down any road noise that was there, but I never had to worry about road noise because I couldn't hear anything over the mufflers until I swapped them out for the quieter ones. Guess I'm to old to appreciate loud mufflers anymore not to mention the roar inside the car.

Rants over!

Gee I have TTI headers, exhaust, h pipe, and dynomax super turbos and I feel mine is not loud enough!! Mind you I am gettin' kind of old and my hearing is not like it used to be. Lol!!

Hi All,
I have a full TTI exhaust on my '69 dart and boy is that thing loud driving down the road. Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks but anyone else's experience with this would be great. I'm thinking of throwing the dynomax mufflers in the scrap heap. They are WAY too loud. Any ideas?

Sissy! :bootysha:

My modified duster 360 stroker 426 w/ tti headers h-pipe and 3"pipes w/dynomax is quieter and does not drone like the stock 360 stock manifolds w/ tti 2.5" pipes did.

Had a 70 Swinger, I put walker hemi mufflers on it. Throaty, but quieter than Dyna super turbo on the Duster.

I have their complete exhaust on my 71 Demon.Not loud enough so I'm in the process of putting some electric exhaust cutouts on it.

-
Back