tti's wont fit 6 to sb

-

buckshotbishop

Old Soul
Reaction score
im at the point where im buttoning everything up on my slant 6 to 340 swap on my 69 valiant.

I cant get my driver side header to fit it's interfering with the torsion bar and column auto shift linkage and i can not raise it enough to start the exhaust bolts.

Im using mancini engine swap mounts and have tried mounting them to the front and rear of the ears on the engine. There currently mounted to the front but when on the rear of the ears the header hits the power steering box in 3 or 4 places. the engine was located per the tti instructions.

any suggestions.

have you change your K-frame to a V8 K-frame? if not, there´s your answer :)

I don't know about American valiants, but over here in Australia the slant six mounts are thicker (taller) than the V8 units.

sometimes they can be mixed and matched to gain clearance on one side specifically, though it probably isn't ideal.

often the answer is that tolerances are all over the map on these cars,they realy are horrible from a precision point of view.

how far away from being able to get the bolts in are the headers?

often the answer is that tolerances are all over the map on these cars,they realy are horrible from a precision point of view.

how far away from being able to get the bolts in are the headers?

its almost there i lifted the engine and moved it all around to get 2 blots in but know i cant get the mounts back in the k frame.

just read the directions on shumacker's site ( mancini uses the same mounts just no directions). ill try moving the mounts to the front of the ears again then shim the drivers side.

hope that works

wont be able to do it for a few days work and school getting in the way.

That isn't needed. You just need the right mounts as per the TTI web page.

Well. I had a Valiant 1969 Signet in my youth in witch I put an LA V8 in without changing the K-Frame. The Engine was not in the center of the bay like the one in my pals Dart GTS 69. These cars are identical in the bay except for the K-Frame...

These notes are directly from TTI:

Footnote #37
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/37.htm
Headers fit with Schumacher Creative Services engine mounts or equivalent (OEM).

Footnote #39
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/39.htm
Small Block, Big Block & Gen II Hemi Factory Engine Locations
K-members are not all identical and the dimensions must be checked to ensure proper fit. Check your engine location prior to installation of your TTi headers.

Well. I had a Valiant 1969 Signet in my youth in witch I put an LA V8 in without changing the K-Frame. The Engine was not in the center of the bay like the one in my pals Dart GTS 69. These cars are identical in the bay except for the K-Frame...

Engine is not supposed to be in the center of the enginebay. it sits offset to the passanger side.

This is not a mount issue, it's the member, itself.

The first thing you should do is move the column shift linkage off of the vehicle and out of the way. Nearly all headers require a cable conversion of that. The only car I was able to keep the linkage in, was a Charger that I did and I ended up making a custom U linkage to go around the header collector, to replace the side to side linkage that goes from the bushing at the frame, to the trans bushing.

its almost there i lifted the engine and moved it all around to get 2 blots in but know i cant get the mounts back in the k frame.

just read the directions on shumacker's site ( mancini uses the same mounts just no directions). ill try moving the mounts to the front of the ears again then shim the drivers side.

hope that works

wont be able to do it for a few days work and school getting in the way.

sounds like you are real close,hope shiming it fixes the isue,these cars realy are horrible when it comes to tolerances..

This is not a mount issue, it's the member, itself.

The first thing you should do is move the column shift linkage off of the vehicle and out of the way. Nearly all headers require a cable conversion of that. The only car I was able to keep the linkage in, was a Charger that I did and I ended up making a custom U linkage to go around the header collector, to replace the side to side linkage that goes from the bushing at the frame, to the trans bushing.

The $120 el-cheepo headers fit with factory column shift on an a-body.

You guys don't know how good you have it over there! :D

Here in Australia the steering box is on the tight side of the engine bay!

The tunnel is over. That is true. Damn, maybe I don't want a Chrysler Charger?

No...

No... I still want one.

-
Back