Tubing passenger side oil galley

-

xring

Reaction score
I'm planning to use a mechanical flat-tappet cam in my 340/416 build. LA-style lubrication (not through the pushrods)

I've read every internet article, forum post, magazine article and book chapter I can get my hands on, but still a little hazy on the issue of tubing the block.

Specifically, I see it is usually discussed with roller mechanical cams/lifters; but what about flat-tappet cams? Should the driver's side galley also be tubed or just a plug inserted in the passage from the #1 main up to the galley?

Once the tubing is done, how do the tappets get lubricated?

Thanks!

Never plug a oil galley, or otherwise restrict oil flow.
Do not drill/ream and tube the oil galley for a Hyd. or solid cam, only a roller of older designs.

if you tube the passenger side you must drive thru the tube from crank area...

solid lifters will get oil from splashing oil...

you can tube the block....but today with new roller lifter that have full bodies it is not entirely necessary...but if a lifter is kicked out of the bore the engine will maintain oil pressure...

i have been dragging racing small blocks for 30 years with solid lifters and have never tubed a block...

When I said older designs of roller cam, I should make a mention to a thread here about the new lifter body design that did not "Retro fit" like they said it would and bleed oil , oil pressure down.

It can be done if the lifter bores are large from wear, but as said. That's rare. I think the next flat tappet "big idea" will be the mass use of the EDM lifters that will feed pressureized oil to the lobes. Several companies make them now. Tubing is old schol, and only solves some of the problems. Lifter bore bushings are the way to really get everything in control.

It can be done if the lifter bores are large from wear, but as said. That's rare. I think the next flat tappet "big idea" will be the mass use of the EDM lifters that will feed pressureized oil to the lobes. Several companies make them now. Tubing is old schol, and only solves some of the problems. Lifter bore bushings are the way to really get everything in control.

The lifter bores I checked are in spec. The block is a standard-bore 340, and it isn't even worn badly, so I think it is a relatively low-mileage block.

If I had the money for lifter bore bushings, I'd probably be looking at roller cam and lifters anyway, but budget has nixed either one. I'm going to stick with the mechanical flat tappet cam and spend some money on ported heads.

Intended use is for a weekend driver/occasional 1/8 mile.

Definately the wiser choice IMO. I only do the bushings for roller cams too, and I won't run a roller without them. I haven't needed to repair any yet.

-
Back