Tubular Steering arms HELP!!!!

-

dale_brennon

Reaction score
I picked up a set of Dillinger chassis steering arms from a member on here, I'm running into an issue with connecting them to the center link. The bolt that came with them is a 9/16" outside diameter, an I missing something becahse that's to big to fit in the hole. Does anyone know if I am suppossed to drill it out, or is there a difference between a /6 and v8 center links other then the bend in them?

The center links should be the same. The only difference between a slant six k frame and v8 is the motor mount position. So the same goes for the center link. Mine was bent so I got another from a slant six car. No problems.

I picked up a set of Dillinger chassis steering arms from a member on here, I'm running into an issue with connecting them to the center link. The bolt that came with them is a 9/16" outside diameter, an I missing something becahse that's to big to fit in the hole. Does anyone know if I am suppossed to drill it out, or is there a difference between a /6 and v8 center links other then the bend in them?

you have to drill the center line as the tie rod ends are not tapered......

The center links should be the same. The only difference between a slant six k frame and v8 is the motor mount position. So the same goes for the center link. Mine was bent so I got another from a slant six car. No problems.

Wrong, I've got both a Slant 6 center link and a V8 center link sitting here, at least for the 73 model year, the center links are different, the V8 has a different bend.

Huh, then I have no idea how the one I picked up is working flawlessly. Maybe possible that it got swapped with a v8 center link at one point? I'm going to look into this further.

I also have both, and theyre different.
And yeah, good luck fitting a bolt in that tapered hole. Now, if it had fit, and you had bolted it up, think a minute what might have happened. That bolt would have had no side support. It would have worked loose in no time.And what might have been the outcome of that?
Thanks for visiting FABO. You may have just averted a major catastrophe. Or at the very,very, least; aggravation.

The bolts have Teflon lock nuts, we use them on our helicopters, I'm sure it will work on the car. You make it sounds as if someone would just stick a bolt in it and drive the car with out a nut or anything.

Also, I know there is a difference between the two center link, I just wanted to make sure that the inside diameter of the tie-rod wasn't one of them.

Well you tried to just stick a bolt in it.
If you work on helicopters I should think you would be able to figure a lot of stuff out on your own. You guys have a great deal depending on that. Something as rudimentary as a round shanked bolt in a tapered hole, in a steering system, should send up red flags,big time.
Well at least the teflon nut would have prevented it from coming totally apart.I personally wouldnt use that nut. I would get a castellated nut and a cotterpin.But then I wouldnt drill that link out either. I would buy or build a split bushing.

I can sense you are fuming at me,and upon rereading my earlier post, I can sorta see why. So I apologize for pushing your buttons.
However, the post did what it set out to do. It made you think.

A good friend of mine installed those on his 68 Barracuda....since they are not tapered...HE HAD TO DRILL THE CENTERLINK

Thanks Cuda that's what I figured I would have to do I just wanted to make sure before I did it. I appreciate you actually contributing to solving my issue.

-
Back