Tuff Wheel Adapter

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installed the Tuff Wheel adapter on my 72 Demon ... I noticed there was a bigger gap on the bottom between the adapter and collar behind it. Definitely not the same gap all the way around.
Removed it and it almost looks like the shaft isn't quite centered through the collars. Is that possible..? Wasn't that long ago when I assembled everything but can't remember if there was a centering process.

I assume that you have a floor shift column, and the shaft is connected to the coupler and the steering box. Are you referring to it not being centered in the hollow tube that passes through the firewall? If so, the large flange on the firewall that the tube passes through has extra large holes for adjustment. There is a tool to center it, but it's easy to do without.

Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the large flange to the firewall, and the 2 bolts that hold the small flange to the big flange (lol) You'll see what I mean. Manually center the shaft in the tube from the outside and have a helper snug up the bolts from inside to keep it in position.

BTW......There is a foam ring that is supposed to be in the tube to keep engine bay fumes etc from migrating up the column into the drivers compartment.

Good luck. :)

Here are some pictures if it helps

DSCN1246.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1251.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

DSCN1253.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

DSCN1261.JPG

I assume that you have a floor shift column, and the shaft is connected to the coupler and the steering box. Are you referring to it not being centered in the hollow tube that passes through the firewall? If so, the large flange on the firewall that the tube passes through has extra large holes for adjustment. There is a tool to center it, but it's easy to do without.

Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the large flange to the firewall, and the 2 bolts that hold the small flange to the big flange (lol) You'll see what I mean. Manually center the shaft in the tube from the outside and have a helper snug up the bolts from inside to keep it in position.

BTW......There is a foam ring that is supposed to be in the tube to keep engine bay fumes etc from migrating up the column into the drivers compartment.

Good luck. :)
4 spd manual floor shift.
The shaft is centered in the tube, it just seems a bit off center in the collars, although the gap between them seem equal.
Thanks for the info about the foam ring. I certainly don't remember being a foam ring when I tore it down. Maybe it deteriorated and crumbled into nothing..?

Yes..! The pictures do help, as far as showing the foam ring.. I have the plastic retainer clip in place but no foam. I'll look to see if they're a repop item. I'll have to cut it to install though. The other pictures help as well...definitely shows that there's something off with mine when comparing to yours.
Just have to figure out what the hell it could be..

Yes..! The pictures do help, as far as showing the foam ring.. I have the plastic retainer clip in place but no foam. I'll look to see if they're a repop item. I'll have to cut it to install though. The other pictures help as well...definitely shows that there's something off with mine when comparing to yours.
Just have to figure out what the hell it could be..
Detroit muscle technologies have the foam ring. :thumbsup:

Looks like your missing the lower snap ring on the top bearing. It is the bearing and the snap rings that are responsible for the placement of the shaft. 2 snap rings and the bearing holder plate with three screws control the placement of the shaft.

-
Back