"tuff wheel" on a tilt column?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
anyone ever mount a factory " tuff wheel" with matching factory adapter on a tilt column?, this isn't a A body it's actually a wheel and adapter from a " lil red" express (79) going onto a 1980 1/2 ton Dodge, sorry I know this is a A body site and I did post this on the truck site associated with this site but c'mon you guy's are smart!, here is the problem...the splines are good but the hub behind the wheel dosnt seem to go down far enough to contact the horn plunger to make it work and also the old wheel had a "c" collar on the back of the wheel to cancel the signal and the tuff wheel adapter has a wire tab AND it also dos'nt go far enough down to contact the actuating plate for the signal I used this same set up from a Warlock and put it on my sons Duster no problem but the Duster didn't have tilt, thanks for the help

So did you ever get it figured out? It’s been 7 years surely an update is over due.:eek:

Holly crap! How did you ever find this post after 7 years? Funny, the short answer is it did go on, I can't remember all the details as this is my son's truck, he has his own house now and it stays there I seem to remember we just cleaned the splines really good, used some never seize and set it on, I THINK we removed the spring style collar from the one hub and swapped to the other, I know the tuff wheel has been on ever since and works well, that being said the tilt column is a royal PIA to work on!

Holly crap! How did you ever find this post after 7 years? Funny, the short answer is it did go on, I can't remember all the details as this is my son's truck, he has his own house now and it stays there I seem to remember we just cleaned the splines really good, used some never seize and set it on, I THINK we removed the spring style collar from the one hub and swapped to the other, I know the tuff wheel has been on ever since and works well, that being said the tilt column is a royal PIA to work on!
It was easy! Entered “Tuff wheel on tilt column”!
I’ve got a 78 D150 Adventurer with the original steering wheel on the tilt column and I know I’ve read somewhere about how to make the Tuff wheel fit and have the turn signals cancel etc. I know it’s the same deal whether car or truck. Still searching for where I actually read it.

Ok, I checked with my son his memory is way better than mine, it turns out he ended up using a different adapter, I'll try to post a picture below, the red can is slightly different it has the correct signal canceler and its deeper where the splines are, he thinks it may have been from a "c" body, this adapter allowed the tuff wheel to fit.

Screenshot_20211007-210202_Messages.jpg

-
Back