Tuff Wheel

-

skylane

Reaction score
I have a 70 Swinger, 340 4 sp manual steering - I'm trying to find info on steering wheel options that would have come on this car from the factory.

I really like the Tuff wheel in woodgrain and would like to add one to this car - however, before I do I would like to at least understand what "Would Have Been" correct.

I've read some of the forums here and the best I can tell, no Tuff wheels were offered for this car and the factory rimbow wheel was a 2 spoke with a pad.

Can someone tell me:
- What options were available for this car?
- Were there different diameters for PS or Non-PS? What were they?

Skylane, my other car

Thanks - Greg

Hamtramck Historicals is the neatest place to visit....
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/index.shtml

Look on the left side bar and click on LIBRARY.

Go to the 1970 model year and click on the DODGE DEALERSHIP DATA BOOKS

Click on DART.
This will be the copy of the brochure that was sitting in the showroom if you came in looking for a new Dart.

2nd row, far right has steering wheels and hub caps, wheel covers and rallye wheels.

If you click on the page again, it will blow it up so us older guys can see it better.

I can spend hours looking all thru the site.

I believe there were only 4 wheels available in a 70 Dart, the standard 3 spoke, the deluxe wheel with horn ring, and 2 types of rim blow ones, one was 3 spoke with woodgrain, the other had no woodgrain and a big center pad. Don't think the "Tuff" wheel came out till 1971.

Attachments

• wheel4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 240
  • wheel3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 238
  • wheel2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 227
  • wheel.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 233
I've got the first one on my car now - Standard, I believe. The 4th one with the pad I have on a parts car I own - I also thought the 3rd one was a Tuff wheel, just in wood grain - that's the one I'd like to install if I can find one to buy, I think that's a rimbow

Skylane - my other car

Thanks
Greg

Thought you could only get the tuff with PS as well, the smaller diameter didn't work so good with manual steering.
The second is the one that came with the deluxe interior is it not?

my 74 didnt come with a wood grain but that didnt stop me.................................................................. :glasses2::thumrigh::glasses2::thumrigh::thumrigh::glasses2::thumrigh::glasses2:

Attachments

• 100_0728.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_0729.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 200
Here is the "Tuff" wheel, it is smaller in diameter with a foam rubber grip. You must use the special adapter to use this wheel on your steering column, also need it for the 3-spoke rimblow wheel pictured in my other post. The adapter goes on the steering shaft while the wheel bolts to it using 3 nuts.

Attachments

• wheel2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 209
  • wheel.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for all the help folks - from all of this It looks like the 70 Dart did not come with a Tuff Wheel as they were not available until 71 and you needed PS to get one. The post with 4 pictures, based on the Hamtramck site the 3rd picture came on a 71 Cuda and that's the wheel I'm going to look for to put on the Dart

Thanks all

-
Back