Tune up questions

-

remytherat

Reaction score
Here are the specs:
5.9 magnum. cam: oregon regrind 214/221*, 480/482", 110LSA. hughes spring kit. airgap intake. holley 600VS.

Currently 12 base timing and 34 total. Mopar electronic ignition, old orange box.

Car runs alright when cold, but when hot it wants to stall in drive. It also does not want to go past 4000rpm, at which point it loses power and backfires through the exhaust.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Not a timing issue I do not believe.

Ignition failure issue or Vacuum Diaphragm linkage/
way wrong spring in it.

Perhaps a broken inner spring or two if you have dual springs.

I can tell you this: engine idling; if turn the dist CCW [ to advance the timing ] to about 28-30*, the engine will:
- idle faster [ making more hp ]
- idle smoother
- make more vacuum
- run cooler.

I would do this, re-adjust carb, see if it helps the stalling problem.

Backfiring could be many things: bad coil/ECU, fouled plugs, wiped lobes etc.

Here are the specs:
5.9 magnum. cam: oregon regrind 214/221*, 480/482", 110LSA. hughes spring kit. airgap intake. holley 600VS.

Currently 12 base timing and 34 total. Mopar electronic ignition, old orange box.

Car runs alright when cold, but when hot it wants to stall in drive. It also does not want to go past 4000rpm, at which point it loses power and backfires through the exhaust.

Ideas?

Just a FYI.
My Magnum is really close to the same build, and I run 18 degrees initial and 16 mechanical with ported vacuum adding 18 more.
I would say it runs perfect.

34 total seems high for a Magnum . Not that that has anything to do with your issue .

-
Back