Tuning a Mopar Computer

-

Revin Kevin

Kevin
Reaction score

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota RT 5.9 liter. I installed new Edel Brock RPM heads, new 1.7 adjustable roller rockers by Scorpian, Comp cam at 050 duration is 218/212, and a comps timing chain. Now I know that the computer doesn't recognize the cam. The truck runs decent, it runs warmer because the timing is off and I get a little pop once in awhile and it throws the engine light on. Has done this since I put the new cam in. Anybody out there that has help or information on guiding me as to what I need to do to tune this right and what I need to tune this with, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota RT 5.9 liter. I installed new Edel Brock RPM heads, new 1.7 adjustable roller rockers by Scorpian, Comp cam at 050 duration is 218/212, and a comps timing chain. Now I know that the computer doesn't recognize the cam. The truck runs decent, it runs warmer because the timing is off and I get a little pop once in awhile and it throws the engine light on. Has done this since I put the new cam in. Anybody out there that has help or information on guiding me as to what I need to do to tune this right and what I need to tune this with, I would greatly appreciate it.
You will need a tune, Hemi Fever did mine and I would recommend him.
Another thing to make sure is you have your fuel sync set. If you have not done this yet. You will need a drb or snap on scanner to set it. I have mine set around +4. The factory manual says i believe anywhere from -10 to 10 or something like that. People say set it as close to zero as you can, others say +4...mine seems to like +4

Thank you very much for your input. I have been in contact with Sean at Hemifever.com. I will follow through with what you told me. Thanks again.

You will need a tune, Hemi Fever did mine and I would recommend him.
Another thing to make sure is you have your fuel sync set. If you have not done this yet. You will need a drb or snap on scanner to set it. I have mine set around +4. The factory manual says i believe anywhere from -10 to 10 or something like that. People say set it as close to zero as you can, others say +4...mine seems to like +4

WTF is that? and what does it do? is that "mod" only for modded stuff?

WTF is that? and what does it do? is that "mod" only for modded stuff?
The fuel sync tells the computer when to fire the injector. From my understanding you want to set it as close to 0 as you can for a factory motor. Then depending on mods sometimes the vehicle performs better to have it fire before or after the piston is at its TDC. Its one of those items you set it at zero and try it out, depending on the size of the cam you may want it to be higher on the plus side. Most of the dakota guys with cams try theirs somewhere around +4.

The fuel sync tells the computer when to fire the injector. From my understanding you want to set it as close to 0 as you can for a factory motor. Then depending on mods sometimes the vehicle performs better to have it fire before or after the piston is at its TDC. Its one of those items you set it at zero and try it out, depending on the size of the cam you may want it to be higher on the plus side. Most of the dakota guys with cams try theirs somewhere around +4.

where is it stock? x-?

where is it stock? x-?
I believe mopar specs calls for anywheres from plus 10 to minus 10 on the DRB. Most of them are set near zero. It will run anywhere in that range, just may run like crude until you get it set right. With one of my old cams, i did not have it set right and every morning it would backfire once and then run fine for the rest of the day. After I had it set to near zero it ran great and did not backfire any more.

I believe mopar specs calls for anywheres from plus 10 to minus 10 on the DRB. Most of them are set near zero. It will run anywhere in that range, just may run like crude until you get it set right. With one of my old cams, i did not have it set right and every morning it would backfire once and then run fine for the rest of the day. After I had it set to near zero it ran great and did not backfire any more.

interesting... would you go in thru global or manufacture to set that on a snapon?

Where can a DRB be purchased from and do you have a part number of the item? Would you know around how much it would cost? Also, would you know the part number of the Snap On Scanner, could I purchase from Snap on directly, and approximate cost? Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

interesting... would you go in thru global or manufacture to set that on a snapon?

I do not know the snap on settings..sorry I know there are guys that have done it with a snap on, it takes a certain scanner. I believe its the top of the line one and maybe even a different module.

Where can a DRB be purchased from and do you have a part number of the item? Would you know around how much it would cost? Also, would you know the part number of the Snap On Scanner, could I purchase from Snap on directly, and approximate cost? Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

The DRB is the mopar hand held checker that the dealerships have. I would try Ebay or someplace like that. The snap on scanner I believe you purchase them directly from snap on..I sorry I do not know much about them...I have friends that have a DRB so I borrow it when I need to make the setting, I guess thats one good think about living in the detroit area.

-
Back