tuning baseline

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Warm weather coming. I need to go back and reestablish tuning base. I haven't had this running long. But timing going to start at 18 and 36 and i want that all in at 2500rpm right? Idle circuits I want the highest vacuum at idle correct? Setting idle at 900-1000RPM? mild 440 9.5 to 1 comp. stock iron heads mild port, tunnel ram 2x600 holleys. Just trying to get some advice as to where to start i think im close though.

That's a good starting point. It should be really close. I wouldn't want it coming in any quicker than that.

18 is a decent spot to start from.

I'd turn as much initial timing in that the starter can handle. IIRC you have a pretty decent sized cam in the engine. 20-24 initial might be a range that works better.

MSD, I have some bushings that would help u your initial number. Find the point it kicks back or drags the starter hard when hot, that's you topside initial limit.

You know I believe it does that now! As in after hot it kinda slowly,rolls over like,the battery is dead. Thinking that's what your talking about. I have a Mallory unilite distribution but it's an old YL series can't find anyone with key and spring kit. Which has the key and springs. I feel like I need to go back get some hard starting numbers and adjust from,there.

I feel like I need to go back get some hard starting numbers and adjust from,there.

Yep.

Don't need the keys, use drill bit shanks, do the same thing. The degrees and sizing are out there. I think I have it somewhere in an excel file.

The springs are a different ball game. There may be other springs that will work without having to drop 30+ on a tuning kit.

I forget the cam in it.

If the car starts hard at 18* then curve the rest to be in around 2500 and you should be good.

How are the ground cables on your engine? Battery in trunk?

If it will start OK between 20-24, you're better off.

Rest of the curve in by 2500 and see how it runs. Pay attention to pinging. Go drive it hard and pull plugs. Look for speckling/peppering, that's detonation. Take timing out to the total number.

Ok ill go back to 20 and start there. still keeping the 36 total for 16 advance. I cant remember if its 24 or 22 inital lol. But when warm it did drag the starter. I got the kit ordered. I think while i wait i need better finish out exhaust. Right now its kind of make shift and id bet that plays a role as well.

Yeah I'm aware of such critter but I get lost enough as is with out more components lol but something to look into

Yeah I'm aware of such critter but I get lost enough as is with out more components lol but something to look into

If you don't already have a good MSD or MSD style ignition now would be the time to upgrade.

Nothing confusing about using it. It works automatically.

I have an mad street fire box, Mallory unilite distributor now and blaster coil

The MSD 8987 would fix your problem.

If I were you I would upgrade to a box that has the retard built right in though. Depends on what you want to spend....

The 8987 is about 142$. A digital 6 is about 342$.

-------
Edit..
Actually on 2nd thought. Save your coin and just get the 8987. Spend the rest on a MSD Pro billet Dizzy.

Good suggestions thank you. But I better see if itit's good to go with what I have before throwing. Money at it

Good suggestions thank you. But I better see if itit's good to go with what I have before throwing. Money at it

If it wants more timing and it kicks back on the starter when you set the timing there you'll need the start retard or a stronger starter.

Good luck. at least you know what you options are .

ok so today i went out and set timing to 20 initial and 36 total. I also set carbs with gauge i was way off. Ended up with 13lb cold and about 11 warm. But it does seem to idle better. after running for awhile and driving I have a hard start issue. Where it just wont fire. Almost like the battery is low. But if i let it sit for awhile it goes away. I believe i need to jet down the secondaries because i noticed when i get into it i had a backfire through the exhaust. But it does run better! oh AND NOW i get a 500 rpm drop when i put it in gear and it wants to die

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9RPo96R9aQ"]Tune #1 - YouTube[/ame]

Rpm drop seems fixed. I bumped each mixture screw up about 1/4 to 1/2 tturn after that I experienced maybe a 100rpm drop going into gear. Still had several back fires through,the exhaust. Timing still set I'm unsure where to make my changes.

ok so today i went out and set timing to 20 initial and 36 total. After running for awhile and driving I have a hard start issue. Where it just wont fire. Almost like the battery is low. But if i let it sit for awhile it goes away.

A start retard will take that right away. Retards the timing 20 degrees until engine breaks 600rpm.

You might be right hell you probably are right. What all parts should I,have on hand to tune 2 600 vacuum secondary carbs? I wanna give it one more shot before I swap put,the tunnel ram

You might be right hell you probably are right. What all parts should I,have on hand to tune 2 600 vacuum secondary carbs? I wanna give it one more shot before I swap put,the tunnel ram

MSD 8987 if you want to add on to your ignition otherwise ay ignition that offers it built in such as the MSD digital 6.

-
Back