Tuning Caltrac Bars

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I just installed Caltracs and I noticed more cabin noise transmitted to the interior.I assume this is normal since there is metal contact to the springs. I also was wondering how much preload you need. I know the instructions state a quarter turn past contact. I was wondering how much more adjustment do people run.

Start out with an 1/8" air gap, if that doesn't work then go to no air gap, then to the 1/4 turn pre-load, then 1/2 turn pre-load.....if none of those work drop the bar to the bottom hole and try it in the same order I just posted. My duster with BFG drag radials like the bottom hole with zero air gap the best. Yes you will notice more squeaks and noises cause now you have a solid leaf spring bushing in there as well.

Thanks I forgot about the solid bushing. I have to run it with the lower hole as I have the Mopar offset spring hangers.

It's a trial an error process for sure. I found my car likes the shocks soft and the bars just touching the spring in the upper hole.

There also is another trick when you set up your Cal-Tracs that will see some street duty. They suggested putting a piece of rubber hose slipped over the bar for contact with the leaf spring. When I ran mine, it eliminated quite a bit of the "clank", with no after effects. A cheap solution from Travis at Calvert Racing.
Dale Snoke

Thats a good idea. Last week at a test and tune the best I could muster was 1.8 sixty foots, I was hoping for more. My combo is a mild 340, auto, 3400 stall, 4.56. 28-11.50-15 MT ET streets. 340 springs with caltracs KYB rear shocks and comp eng front drag shocks. My front end didnt seem to rise enough and then fell down fast. My goal is 1.6 with this combo but I not sure what to work with next.

Thats a good idea. Last week at a test and tune the best I could muster was 1.8 sixty foots, I was hoping for more. My combo is a mild 340, auto, 3400 stall, 4.56. 28-11.50-15 MT ET streets. 340 springs with caltracs KYB rear shocks and comp eng front drag shocks. My front end didnt seem to rise enough and then fell down fast. My goal is 1.6 with this combo but I not sure what to work with next.

-
Back