turbine car

-
oh ya baby! its here in detroit right now I have seen it in person. SICK looking design I have pictures of that car somewhere If I lived in another state I would take the pilgrimage to the hills to see the chrysler museum

Got to see one of 'em run and drive years ago at the Mopar Nats when they were at Indy. Looks a lot like a T bird of the same era, and sound like a gigantic Kirby vacuum

Got to see one of 'em run and drive years ago at the Mopar Nats when they were at Indy. Looks a lot like a T bird of the same era, and sound like a gigantic Kirby vacuum

2x on the styling! and i bet it was cool to see it moving around! dosn't leno have one to??

What I wouldn't do to own one of those! That was the future of automobiles, there is a book out on the Turbine Car that I really want to read, lots of controversy surrounding it.

There was a story not to long ago of Chrysler condensing it's collection and giving one of the three cars they had to Jay Leno for his collection , there was even talk that his was the only remaining running car and that the other two where just shells

When I was a kid I saw one at a local dealership here in Winnipeg. The guy showing the car stood a nickle on edge on the engine and it didn't fall when the engine was started. I looked under the back end and remember seeing two wide rectangular exhaust pipes and got a whole lot of hot exhaust in the face. It was very futuristic as we would say back then.

Seen one at Monster Mopar Week end two years ago ran on kerosene it sucked the grass up and was a site to see for sure =P~ He drove it in and fired it up for us 8)8)

Attachments

• Picture%20068.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture%20062.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Picture%20063.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 165
Love the turbine car. Saw one running at the Mopar Nats the year the Nats were at the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea back in the 80's. Then saw one ( the only one that was privately owned) drive past me at Carlisle several years ago. That one was from the Harrah collection, and had been inoperable till Jay Leno helped the owner obtain a working motor from Chrysler. Love the sound of the turbine. Sounds like a jet ready for take off.
I wonder how many of the remaining Turbine cars I've actually seen. Besides those two, I saw one on display at the Walter P Chrysler Museum, and one at the Peterson Museum, one at the Henry Ford Museum, and one back in 1972 at the Transpo '72 Exposition at Dulles Airport outside Washington, DC. I believe that one was in the Smithsonian's collection, and if so, it might have been to only time it was ever shown. In various years a Chrysler Turbine has been on display at the Nationals and at Carlisle. If Chrysler had retained ownership of three of them, I wonder if they always displayed the same car, or if over the years I could have seen all three of the Chrysler owned turbines (one of which is now owned by Jay Leno).
I'm sure I haven't seen the one in the museum in St Louis.

Jay drives his around. He drove it into the last Spring Fling!!

Attachments

• FF09PicsDaveW47.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 98
  • FF09PicsDaveW48.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 99
-
Back