turbo 360

-

carkindaguy

Reaction score
whos done it. i want to turbo a 360. what turbo, bov, waste gate did ya use. i dont know the first thing about how to pick a hair dryer. im a welder/fabricator so all the fab work is right up my alley.also lets see some picks if ya got some.

Well it's not a mopar but I do have a turbo on my mustang. I built all my own hotside piping as well. Wastgate 44mm and BOV 50mm are the best from Tial.
My turbo is a 55mm T4 & it's on the small side for my 302. 360 I will say you need at least a T76 T4. The cold side piping and intercooler I got all from Ebay. A universal piping kit will run ya around $150 and the intercooler about another $200.

I love it. Would turbo everything if I could. You have to be ready to dig into a big project. I debated turboing my Dart but held off at least for now. Lol

My mustang is completely stock besides the turbo, and intake motor wise. Before it laid down 195hp/235tq at the wheels. After 380hp/438tq at the wheels. And that's because I keep the boost at 9psi. The ford 302 is only capable of 500hp before splitting. I have a set of heads,cam to go on when ever I get around to affording a better block because if I were to put them on now it would live very long :)

If you are prepared for it do it you won't regret it.

mustang045small.jpg

Be advised, the Mustang is totally turbo ready with its EECIV ECU and EFI. The 360 is light years behind in EFI and engine management. If its a Magnum with the beer keg intake and EFI, then a Megasquirt may be useable for an ECU but I tell you, a EFI 302 and the EEC4 is almost a plug and play turbo motor compared to a Mopar 360.

im ready for more project. i built this whole car a couple times now. its all new painless wiring. dana rear, dennys nitrous ready driveshaft. tci 727.
motor is 360 .040
%100 cnc ported eddy head by hughes
10:5.1 comp
lunati cam solid flat
Lift .546"/.566" [email protected] 243/251 LSA/IAC 110/106
lunati lifters
hughes roller rockers
eddy rpm air gap intake
holley ultra 750 double pumper
eagle floating sir rods
kb flat top pistons
comp cams push rods
mallory billet dist.
msd plug wires

im gonna go lower compression and mabye cam swap. besides turbo,WG and bov what do ya need? how do ya set boost psi? would an msd box and boost controller do it? i know how to put a motor together but i dont know much about wiring and electronics.

Your in the Race Gas territory with the 10.5:1 Compression.....That is something to ponder. The cooler your IAT's are the better off you will be. Hot intake air will help it detonate quickly. Meth injection will help you also.

Question for you..... What are your power goals for this car? What is the use?

Sounds like your new to the idea of a turbo. The wastegate is what controls the boost settings. It's initially set by the spring inside the gate, a boost controller is an added benefit for more adjustability but is not needed. By simple changing a spring rate in the gate with raise or lower your boost. A ignition box would be good to prevent spark blow out, but is not need as well at lower boost. Fuel system will need updated. For one you'll need a blow through carb, boost reference regulator, and some way to supply the proper fuel. Boosted motor need a lot more fuel to make the same power of a bigger N/A motor. Lower compression and different cam would be good. The cam is a huge part that can make or destroy your combo. Head studs should be on the list as well. Rearend gear is a big factor as well, you don't mention what you have now but you would want to be in the ball park of 3:27 gear depending on your tire size. If you have too low of gear you'll never build boost which is a direct relation to engine load. A higher gear will make the motor work harder causing the turbo to spin sooner and faster in turn give you the added power of the turbo making your car faster. Much faster.

You should head over to http://www.theturboforums.com/forum.php and study up, and read all you can. Plenty of builds to see and a few mopers here and there as well.

Not sure how far you can bring the compression down, but maybe E85 is an option for you as well. That would require an even bigger fuel system over the gasoline system needed for the turbo. 30% more fuel for E85 over gas.

The turbo gig is a long drawn out process. Don't ask me how I know. You need to really chew on the idea before you pull the trigger.

Not sure how far you can bring the compression down, but maybe E85 is an option for you as well. That would require an even bigger fuel system over the gasoline system needed for the turbo. 30% more fuel for E85 over gas.

Easy to lower the compression. Buy new pistons and of course they will have to be custom. The Wiesco forged dish pistons in my TT engine have a 34.2cc dish as well as huge valve reliefs that will accept an almost .900" lift cam. The ring land is also thicker as the top ring is held down further from the piston top. So the piston will take more abuse without failure. My compression is right at 9:1 it's 410 CI....
The pistons were over $1300.00 with tool steel pins. Get out your Debit Card!

im apipe welder for a company that does turnarounds at refineries. some times the money is good and sometimes its really good. money will work itself out. i curently have 373 gears in the car. would those work? its a dana so i think the highest i can go is 355.

im apipe welder for a company that does turnarounds at refineries. some times the money is good and sometimes its really good. money will work itself out. i curently have 373 gears in the car. would those work? its a dana so i think the highest i can go is 355.

With a tall tire, The 3.55's may work. I am running 3.50's in a 9" with a 28" tall tire. Mines a stroker though so it will produce more exhaust flow at lower RPMs than a non stroked turbo app like yours. So I'm thinking your going to want closer to a 3.0 Gear. This is one reason I chose a Ford 9" over a Dana. There are WAY more gear selections and they are cheaper too.

Sounds like you need to do a lot of reading on this subject. Head on over to TTF I have spent over 2 years studying this stuff and I still only know enough to get myself into trouble.

If you have not read my TT build in my signature, you should look at it also.

-
Back