Turbo Action 17156 on a mild 340 street Duster?. Help

-

mostrood

Reaction score
Hi gang- so im confused and brand new to RMVB. Scrounging together a ratty Duster rebuilt 340, x heads, headers, whiplash cam, 750 cfm, rebuilt tf904, 2500 converter, 3.71 suregrip. Just want to do burnouts with my kids and try autostick out. I bought a Turbo Action 17156 rmvb without realizing it doesnt have low band apply. Do i just move forward and install it as is for a streetable car? Do I need a new sprague and billet accumulator?
Or do I cut bait, sell it and buy a RMVB with low band apply? Im a poor high school teacher so I need the most bang on low bucks. Also how do you break engine or trans without the low band apply?- ive driven neither, i just ASSumed it was plug n play manually shift gears. Longwinded sorry- thanks a ton

john cope says never ever buy a rmvb without lba. upgrading to a bolt in sprague would also be advisable. he has a youtube channel that explains a lot of stuff. someone on here put a link to his channel. look under the racing or auto trans heading here.

Thank you, if i could do it over again...
From what im reading as long as I dont burnout in 1st I shouldnt have problems. Or if I do burnout in 1st make sure I shift into 2nd before letting off acceleration. Some say if not using sticky meats on water to dry at the track your fine to burnout in first. Guess what im getting is, should get a lrb but in my mild street use be mindful if burning out.

Lba not lrb..oops
I was going to do the same thing in my 340 Duster,. But had the same question (s). And one question would bring another.... Then, lifeand things got in the way, and.... I never figured it out, even though it was explained several times! To the best of my limited knowledge on the subject, You Do NOT Want to be hooked up when hitting 2nd gear,. W/o a sprag......I still get corn- fused as to what the deal is, in all actuality... Sorry to interrupt without Pure facts!

Thanks ironracer, you made me feel less ignant and comforted that at least im not the only confused one out here in mopar valve body land. So did you ever do a rmvb?

2nd gear burnouts.
If they should start to spin in 1st due to being in rain ect. Bang 2nd

2nd gear burnouts.
If they should start to spin in 1st due to being in rain ect. Bang 2nd
Thanks 340six- solid. Do you drive one a these set ups? If so do you like with no band apply?

what transmission?

727or 904?

904 not a big deal.

With either if you happen to start a burnout in first go right to second when the tires start spinning.

First, i have two 440 powered cars with no low band apply, and have raced both. One uses a B&M ratchet, the other, the one I drove daily for about seven years, has a modified column shifter.
As long as you are familiar with what to do, and what NOT to do you'll be fine.
With no low band apply, if you back off in first gear, it will freewheel, no engine braking. If you downshift from second or third into first, it will freewheel. Dont do that above about 15 mph. DONT stand on it in first, back off, and then get on it again, in first! SHIFT!
DONT do a burnout in first. If you can't do a burnout starting in second, don't do any!
If you have a drivetrain let go in first, you MUST pull the trans and inspect.
If you are not prepared to follow the regimen required for a non LBA, buy a LBA.
The (very small) advantage to a non LBA is quicker cleaner shift, making a non very slightly quicker in a drag car. NOT a good reason to buy a non, in my opinion. I run the ones I have cause they are there, they work, and I'm obviously used to em. The one in my 62 max has been there since 1983.

Last edited:
The OPS first post says he has a 904 trans. As such, I don't think he should be worried about no LBA with his valve body. Perhaps a trans expert can confirm but that is typically what is stated as a difference between a 727 and a 904.

I have a CRT 727 in the avatar with a Griner rmvb that has LBA. I start the burnout in the water box in 1st with an almost immediate click to 2nd and then 3rd. Finish the burnout by letting off the throttle and line-loc at the same time allowing the car to move forward at much lower wheel speed and torque. The car could obviously start the burnout in 2nd but I risk the rear tires sliding the car forward with the front tires locked before the rears start spinning. I think this process covers the concern of the sprague breakage as the trans never sees load and immediate slowdown/torque pulse in 1st. Works for me!

I used the no low band valve body that you have in a 727. Warmed up 340 with the 508 cam and 10 to1 pistons and 5k turbo action 8 in converter. I got use to the no 1 gear coasting. I stayed in 2nd a lot to save on brake pads. Lol
Now I have an A & A lba in it but have not tried it out yet.
904 has a riveted sprag in it, 727 does not. If using the 727 put in a bolt in sprag.

The OPS first post says he has a 904 trans. As such, I don't think he should be worried about no LBA with his valve body. Perhaps a trans expert can confirm but that is typically what is stated as a difference between a 727 and a 904.

I have a CRT 727 in the avatar with a Griner rmvb that has LBA. I start the burnout in the water box in 1st with an almost immediate click to 2nd and then 3rd. Finish the burnout by letting off the throttle and line-loc at the same time allowing the car to move forward at much lower wheel speed and torque. The car could obviously start the burnout in 2nd but I risk the rear tires sliding the car forward with the front tires locked before the rears start spinning. I think this process covers the concern of the sprague breakage as the trans never sees load and immediate slowdown/torque pulse in 1st. Works for me!

Missed the 904 in first post.

727's can explode.

Unless you can spin a 904 to about 8500+, they aren't going to let go. Still try to stick with 2nd gear, regardless.

what transmission?

727or 904?

904 not a big deal.

With either if you happen to start a burnout in first go right to second when the tires start spinning.
Its a fresh rebuilt 904. Thanks, and thats with your foot still in it, no let up to shift?

Its a fresh rebuilt 904. Thanks, and thats with your foot still in it, no let up to shift?
Haha yaaano. My car wont be embarassing but its nothing crazy. Raising 3 small kids on a high school teacher budget- gotta keep things mild.

-
Back