turbo motorcycle

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i have always thought it would be sweet to turbo my bike its an 81 suziki gs450txz what size of turbo would i want? it redlines at 9 to 10 grand but dont really like taking it that high lol kinda scary. i was kinda thinking something from a 4 banger at the junk yard? or my buddy has a 1st talon i might be able to get his old turbo. then other then piping what would i need? make my carbs blow thru probably. anything else? or anything im overlooking or didnt know thanks tyler

i think the car turbos will be to big for a bike sreach gpz 750 they were fac. in the 80/90 might give you a beter size. or pipes and pluming als

A really small car turbo would probably work.
You will need to address the mounting and supporting of the turbo, via brackets to the motor itself.
You will need to address oil feed and return, high pressure consistant oil feed to the turbo, and return of hot, "frothy" oil back to the crankcase.
You will need to address fuel system. Boost needs more fuel to avoid lean conditions. If it is carbureted, you will need some type of rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Fuel Pressure needs to rise 1 lb for every 1 lb of boost, as a baseline, and you will probably have to do some jetting in addition to the 1 to 1 regulator.

ok. would installing a electric fuel pump be enough? i know i would need a return line to but i think i could do that. i know how i would mount it and will have to dig deaper to find spots for oil lines but that shouldnt be to bad just find a port to feed the turbo and but a bung in the pan

how small of turbo? like a 50mm? thats like 2" so pretty small i have a garret to3 that i am pretty sure its limited to 12psi its either that or a vnt turbo that i dont really know much about i will have to pull it out and see

Here is where my cycle knowledge is weak. Do they have a pump? Are they gravity fed? What type of fuel pressure do they work with?

Whatever fuel pressure they have, you need the rising rate regulator to equal out the boost. For discussion, if they have 7 lbs of pressure at the needle and seat, and you run 7 lbs of boost, the 7 lbs of boost presses against the 7 lbs of fuel pressure = 0 net fuel flow. The rising rate regulator, raises the fuel pressure 1 pound for every pount of boost, so fuel pressure goes up to 14lbs and boost pushes 7 lbs, so net is 7 lbs.
Oil side, sounds good, pressured oil to the turbo, and return line to the tank, a "bulkead" fitting from Aeroquip would work well for the return to pan.
I am not able to recommed on the turbo sizing, but I would think a turbo off a Chevy sprint, or Suzuki Swift would work. The smaller the better, if you want quick boost. Larger will have more turbo lag, and make its pressure at the higher end of the rpm spectrum.

most run fuel inj, my gpz has a oil cooler that you could tap in to . yes some of the biger bikes have ele. pumps look for older gpz750 might have some of the things you need.you need to increse fuel presser with boost. more boost more fuel less timing.

Trust me, you don't want to tackle the project. A small, old and carbed bike would require a WHOLE lot of engineering, fabrication and large amounts of time, material and cubic dollars.
My Kaw turbo (factory) came with fuel injection, electronic ignition with a race mode and boost control.
Of course, it had issues. A piece of crap Hitachi HT-10 turbo with bushings instead of bearings, a restricted oil supply to the turbo (which wiped out the bushings) and a few other issues.

And my Honda CBR 1100 XX will smoke it.

Try KMS turbo...I know they do allot on quads...not sure of this is what you are lookin for

ok i like the responses keep explaining why you are thinking the way you do lol. i love fabricating and got the bike for free so i am thinking it might be realitivly cheap (till i get to fuel) and wouldnt have much to lose. im guessing i couldnt find a kit to make my carbs blow thru so what do those kits have? could i piece together a kit?

Why would you bother with a 450?

When you could upgrade to something with bigger cc
an it would be more reliable.. :S

Its like when people wanna turbocharge a 600 roadbike,
man,just get a 1000 :S
it will go like one,without a junk power curve or the reliability issues!

For the Kaw 750 turbo web site go here...

http://750turbo.com/home.htm

Just as a refresher, the 750 Kaw turbo was the 1st bike that ran 10 sec. 1/4 mile. 10.94 or somethimng like that in 1984.

Original 750 Turbo

bartstreet_small1.jpg

Mine with race body work and modern GSX/R suspension and brakes.

Kaw750Turbo.jpg

Stock turbo with Mazda Millenia intercooler, waste gate and adjustable blow off valve.
P8178105.jpg

P8158087.jpg

Stock Hitachi HT-10

P4091296.jpg

3 turbos for size comparison.

T3/T4 for 5.0 Mustang-- Nissan 280ZX--Hitachi HT-10
The Nissan one is now on the bike and the plumbing is almost complete.

P3289027.jpg

P3289028.jpg

The ultimate set-up..sequencial turbos.

TwinTurbo.jpg

Turbos are fun but expensive. It is a whole system, not just a bunch of parts thrown together in hopes that they will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNpPV7Au9o&feature=related

Ever raced yours dave?

If so,whats your best time!?

Looks like a beast ;)

With a turbo on there all you'll get is, maybe "750" size power, at best. But you'll spend enough to buy another bike doing it So why not just modernize to a 83'ish 750 or newer 600 or 750? The current 600's have power like the 750's of old and the current 750's are like the 1000/1100 were from same era. Shoot, burn the whole load and get a 1300 like I did and get it over with. Remember, with a 600 you'll survive and just be languishing along the side of the road. With the one liter and bigger... not so much. :D

Attachments

• XN85Turbo.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,648
I actually drove one of these, KZ1000 Z1R, back in 79 one day while I was waiting for my 1300 to get finished. Dam near killed my self, that thing was freaky fast and accelerated like a bullit especially when you shifted north of 12000 RPM. Trying to remember but I think they were factory bikes that were sent to a shop in California for all the goodies to be installed and tuned. After driving that bullit I'd never wrap my legs around another turbo'd bike and considering I used to 1/4 mile race 750 Triples that's saying something.:D:D

Attachments

• 1110296002.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,609
I actually drove one of these, KZ1000 Z1R, back in 79 one day while I was waiting for my 1300 to get finished. Dam near killed my self, that thing was freaky fast and accelerated like a bullit especially when you shifted north of 12000 RPM. Trying to remember but I think they were factory bikes that were sent to a shop in California for all the goodies to be installed and tuned. After driving that bullit I'd never wrap my legs around another turbo'd bike and considering I used to 1/4 mile race 750 Triples that's saying something.:D:D

That's the Z1R TC that was built by corporate Kawasaki and then sent out to Turbo Cycle for the turbo installation with the factory's blessing (think Hurst Olds or Shelby Mustang). They're a pretty rare beast these days. I've had a chance to swing a leg over one of these in the past and fast is an understatement. I think my old boss at Redline still has his.

Demon Seed,

Never ride another turbo bike ????

Try my buddy's (who I got the turbo Kaw From) 2 CBX turbo bikes..

TurboCBX.jpg

1047RR.jpg

sequential turbo setup is not a big power upgrade.

we will take the mitsubishi eclipse gsx (1995) as a base. with a gt40 bolted on with all supporting mods made 626 hp. the gt was pulled in favor of a sequential setup, and only netted 70h.p more, due to the first turbo was restricting the second one. people have tried to use a smaller one in front, for quicker spool, but it killed the 2nd turbo's effecincy.

let me find thedata and info on it so i can post it up. it looks great, but the work far outseeds the performance

On the CAT engines with the seq. turbos, the boost comes up almost instantly, which is what you need for hauling a load.

And 2150 ft/#s of torque is nothing to sneeze at.

BOOST.jpg

I remember back in the day (early 1980s), when the first factory Turbo Japanese bikes came on the marketplace...

The Honda CX500 Turbo and the Yamaha 650

1982 Honda Cx500 Turbo
82899.jpg

1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo
1983-yamaha-xj-650-seca-turbo-1.jpg

If I may make a suggestion =

IF yer really set on a mid-sizeTurbo Bike, then maybe the best way to go about it may be to get one of these two bikes....That way all the convoluted engineering necessary to make a project like this fly would be already done...

In all honesty, Both were sorta Dogs...

Those Turbo Bikes had a lame-assed "Turbo-Lag" off the line....

But I did then and still do now Really Like them Six-Spoke Honda "Turbo" rims...

Wish I could fit some on my '79 Moto Guzzi Le Mans:

CX100seat008.jpg

-

And, BTW, since I belong to the "Can't ever fuggin' leave well enough alone" Club...... I decided to retrofit a "Floating Rear Caliper Carrier / Torque Rod" system to my Guzzi; a project inspired during one boring Saturday Afternoon; copiously lubricated by Beer, and prompted by my having seen similar set-ups from the factory on Ducatis on the Interweebs...

1980Pantha.jpg

So the BEER sez to me: "Hey, If Ducati can do it, Fo' sho so can YOU..."

thumbnail.aspx

And so Here It Is (and it was a Fookken Royal Pain in the Azz to make, too... :banghead: ):

003-1.jpg

002.jpg

----

In my world there is only one: the 83 GS1100SD a.k.a. 83 Suzuki 1100 Katana.
Bad a$$ looks that only look better lowered with wheelie bars. I had a 750 (looks the same but not nearly as fast) and have always looked for a 1100. I finally gave up and bought a Hyabusa. Turbo not required.:glasses7:

Attachments

• mykat7.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,515
  • HyabusaLG.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,545
-
Back