Turbo question

-

Mopar70Dart

Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I am building a turbo 225 and was wondering if you guys that say your running a stock slant six with videos on youtube are changing to forged pistons and cranks? I know that wouldnt be stock then but was just curious if there were any changes at all to the motor?

I am building a turbo 225 and was wondering if you guys that say your running a stock slant six with videos on youtube are changing to forged pistons and cranks? I know that wouldnt be stock then but was just curious if there were any changes at all to the motor?

well u can change the pistons and rods to these
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/slant-six-6-performance-parts/wiseco-225-slant-6-six-pistons.php

but i have seen a guy with a stock slant bolt up a turbo and run 13's...

as for a crank i think somebody yrs ago had a run of billet cranks but i could be wrong

From what I understand, the stock bottom end is more than capable of handling boost well into the teens range. The stock pistons are like 1/2" thick and most stock 225's have about 8:1-8.4:1 compression.... almost built for boost... almost ;)
The biggest things are head gasket, and oiling. I think Matt Crammer did something like 23lbs and floated the head eventually, but the bottom end held. I don't plan on upgrading any of the hard parts, but I'll be topped out at 8-10lbs.
If you've got it all apart, that's a different story. Depending on how available the parts are and how much boost you plan on, it might be worth it.... might be... Let's see if Matt or some of the other guys that have done it will chime in.

My best pass with cast pistons was a 11.77 @ 116mph. 29psi of boost. Make sure the tune is right or you will melt it down. I finally did melt a piston even with the right tune.

I didn't lift the head - my mistake was running a too small turbo. (And then getting a little too ambitious with upgrades - it's been apart for a while...) Was running around 10-12 psi of boost.

You've already got a forged crank and rods. The stock pistons will stand up to fairly large power gains as well. Since turbos don't need adding RPM, the bottom end doesn't need to be built as much for a given horsepower level, compared to a naturally aspirated motor.

thanks for your responses guys. I appreciate it. Gonna plan on doing a 225 turbo with stand alone and fuel injection.

Sorry, I've read A LOT of turbo posts, must have gotten them mixed up. :read2: oh well glad you guys came to my rescue.
Mopar70Dart, Between Charlie, Matt and Shaker you've got 3 of the best minds in the turbo /6 world right here in one thread and great to chat with and bounce ideas off of..

Sorry, I've read A LOT of turbo posts, must have gotten them mixed up. :read2: oh well glad you guys came to my rescue.
Mopar70Dart, Between Charlie, Matt and Shaker you've got 3 of the best minds in the turbo /6 world right here in one thread and great to chat with and bounce ideas off of..

Not me, I am far from a turbo expert. Mine was done back in 1979, and is a "down & dirty" install. Very low tech.

As for the stock bottom end question. The crank and bearings have never been out of my turbo 225 since it was new in 1972. I did put new rod bolts and main studs in though and I run old TRW forged pistons on stock rods. This is with 27 psi boost. Later
Ryan

Figure I'll piggy back on this post since it's getting me interested in the idea. I have a 225 /6 with a 4bbl going on it. What would I need to do to my engine IF I were to do a turbo? It's otherwise bone stock, and I don't want to do anything crazy.

-
Back