Turbo/supercharger

-

schmitt

Reaction score
Turbo or supercharger

Who are my best company's and which way should I go?

Looking to Add to my 10.5:1 383 motor if I can.

Thanks all

I really doubt you want to boost a motor with 10.5:1 scr.

Best? What do you want the engine/car to do?

Hey Schmitt,
I have been turning over the same idea for awhile. Lots of fabrication for the turbo. Seems more straightforward with a under the hood supercharger. I feel that from what I learned having EFI for forced induction is better just because a carb doesnt understand density the way an EFI system with O2 sensor can. I feel that your compression might be a little high. Lots of this info on the forced induction forum from people who have actually done it. Have you checked it out? If money wasnt a problem, personally I would go with a procharger/EFI/methanol situation and see how many MPG I could get out of a big block.......but money is a problem for me. But for you......maybe not. Got to be careful with the methanol though......corrosive?

May the forced induction be with you.

Hey Schmitt,
I have been turning over the same idea for awhile. Lots of fabrication for the turbo. Seems more straightforward with a under the hood supercharger. I feel that from what I learned having EFI for forced induction is better just because a carb doesnt understand density the way an EFI system with O2 sensor can. I feel that your compression might be a little high. Lots of this info on the forced induction forum from people who have actually done it. Have you checked it out? If money wasnt a problem, personally I would go with a procharger/EFI/methanol situation and see how many MPG I could get out of a big block.......but money is a problem for me. But for you......maybe not. Got to be careful with the methanol though......corrosive?

May the forced induction be with you.

I will check that forum out for sure! I'm thinking the under hood supercharger might be the way to go. I was reading about a bunch of different brands on here awhile back but can't seem to find it.
I have a lot of upgrades going on so I'm definitely watching cash

If I can't boost this motor I'm looking at maybe a 400 block with a 500 some inch stroker. But I think boost is fun lol

I'd look strongly at E85 at that compression level. Methanol is fine for racing only setup.

How have you established 10.5:1 compression? What's measured cranking compression? What heads, etc?

A procharger with a hat on something like an FITech throttle body running E85 should be quite good and fit under the hood on that Sweptline. S/F...Ken M

What's your elevation? That plays a factor in how much boost you can run.

I'd say go with a supercharger. 8-71. That way you can turn it slower and still make good boost, while keeping inlet temps down, so you can make more boost! Hoods are for suckas anyways lol.

Procharger supercharger setup would be the easiest. THe supercharger store has mopar kits. I'd be concerned about that CR though.

I'd look strongly at E85 at that compression level. Methanol is fine for racing only setup.

How have you established 10.5:1 compression? What's measured cranking compression? What heads, etc?

A procharger with a hat on something like an FITech throttle body running E85 should be quite good and fit under the hood on that Sweptline. S/F...Ken M

Thanks Fellas. Current setup bellow

Bore - 4.280

Stroke 3.38

Rod length 6.358

Gasket bore 4.40

Block deck height 9.960 (stock=9.980) Took .020 off

HG thickness - .039 (Felpro)

Piston to deck height - .000 to .005

Piston head volume - (-6) (KB400 .030 dome pistons)

Chamber size – 84cc (I'm using aluminum sidewinders from Mopartsracing.com *Todd*)

Total comp = 10.01:1

Comp Cam XE274H part number 21-224-4

Additional specs:

Weiand Action plus intake

Pro systems Holley pro series 4150 carb

Holley blue fuel pump (7psi)

440 source aluminum water pump (160 thermostat )

3500 stall

30” rear tires

Dana 60 3:55 gears (be going to 4:10

Elevation Sea level[/QUOTE]

• 11/32 stem
  • 2.14 intake/ 1.81 exhaust
  • 84 cc chambers
  • 210 cc intake runner volume
  • 70 cc exhaust runner volume
  • Bronze guides
  • Uses all stock type manifolds, valve covers, rockers, headers and gasket

Lift3.jpg

i always liked the look of a supercharger, and there is no turbo lag with one
there is more parasitic drag though, since your driving it off of the crank

the supercharger would be easier to install for sure, but as rocco mentioned, the procharger is even easier still (it is basically only the compressor section of a turbo, mounted to a pulley instead of an impeller shaft and runs off of the crank, like a conventional supercharger does, but without the need to swap intakes. the lack of intake does mean you need to route the charged intake air into the carb)

i always liked the look of a supercharger, and there is no turbo lag with one
there is more parasitic drag though, since your driving it off of the crank

the supercharger would be easier to install for sure, but as rocco mentioned, the procharger is even easier still (it is basically only the compressor section of a turbo, mounted to a pulley instead of an impeller shaft and runs off of the crank, like a conventional supercharger does, but without the need to swap intakes. the lack of intake does mean you need to route the charged intake air into the carb)

Yes the Super charger does look cool! I just talked with Dyers blowers and he figured I could run 5 psi with my current setup netting me a 30% gain. I could eventually go to 120 thousands head gasket, modified rods and crank to make more power at 8-10 psi. Price tag around$6200

-
Back