Turn Signal Fail

-

pa karp

Reaction score
My turn signals were working fine on my 69 'Cuda until today. I have park lights, but no turn signals.

Once in awhile both indicator lights in the dash will light up. If i shut the key off they will go out.

Will a bad bulb cause this? If not, what should I be looking for?

Curt Rees

Turn and park are separate circuits.

First thing to do is try the brake lights and see if they both work. Make sure the signal switch is in the center position

Second thing to do is make sure the fuse is good and has power for "turn." Notice I said "had power." Do not just look at the fuse, probe it with a lamp or meter. With the key "on" you should have power at both ends of the fuse

Third thing to try is try the hazard flashers and see if they work

Fourth thing is to switch the flasher unit from hazard to turn and see if that makes the turn signals work.

Ok, I did what 67Dart273 sugested. Brake lights worked. All fuses had power, both sides in the fuse box. Power to both flashers,

Then I found I had no hazard lights. I replaced the hazard flasher, still nothing. I then swapped the flashers around, nothing. Then I replaced the turn signal flasher, WaLa, turn signals worked! But, still no flashers.

I read an old post last night on this same subject. In that post, some one stated that the turn signal had to be on, either left or right, for the hazard light to work. I did that, both left and right, and the hazards worked. They will not work with the turn signal lever centered. Now, the question is that normal?

I also found a hot positive wire next to the turn signal flasher. It is not hooked to anything and I could not find a connective wire for it. The heater motor, radio, and wiper motors all work. The cigarette lighter is connected. Any idea what this wire might be for?

Curt Rees:burnout:

I did that, both left and right, and the hazards worked. They will not work with the turn signal lever centered. Now, the question is that normal?:

No The turn signal switch itself may be going bad

I also found a hot positive wire next to the turn signal flasher. It is not hooked to anything and I could not find a connective wire for it. The heater motor, radio, and wiper motors all work. The cigarette lighter is connected. Any idea what this wire might be for?

Curt Rees:burnout:

Describe the end connector, and color of the wire?

The wire is red in color and is stripped back with no end. I looked again and can find nothing tor it to connect to.

Curt Rees

Attachments

• TSflash.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 94
My thought to on the radio. But, I had the radio rebuilt, and the power for that comes off the left side of the radio.

The red wire is hot when the key is on. I will study the manuals.

Curt Rees

There are only so many original red wires, LOL. If you can't find it post back

Can anyone tell me why on my 74 swinger when I turn the key back I get no radio power but for at start it powers

-
Back