turn signal question

-

whatadish

Reaction score
still trying to get my turn signals to work on my 64 Valiant convertible. I am trying to find the 12v feed to the turn signal switch. I have the wiring diagrams for the car but I dont have a schematic of the actual turn signal switch. I have repaired my instrument cluster with the lm7805 12v regulator(works great) and have metered all grounds at the front and rear lamps. New headlight switch, new turn signal switch, new 1157's, new flasher. I have 12v @ both sides of the flasher, I assume the turn signal switch provides the 12v feed to the lamps, or does it supply the ground. I have also metered the connector at the kick panel. Brake lights ok, when I turn on the right turn signal with the brake pedal depressed the right rear lamp goes out, nothing on the left side when I use the left turn signal. Pigtailed new gounds at the sockets are soldered to the base and gounded very well. If I had the actual turn signal switch schematic I could test the input and output of the switch. The electrical system is completely un-molested and free from cheap scotch locks and crappy splices, yep metered the firewall connectors as well...all fusible links intact as well as fuses and fuse holders. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

The feed comes FROM the flasher and TO the switch

Using the "MyMopar" diagrams:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64ValiantA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64ValiantB.jpg

On the "A" diagram, find the flasher at the far right, and follow the red over to the left to the switch

That should be hot with key in "run"

If I understand your description of the brake lights they sound normal, IE

switch centered both brake lights work
switch in left turn, left brake goes out
switch in right turn, right brake goes out

I'm guessing your car does not have a 4 way flasher.

If you have power on both sides of the flasher, and not at the red at the switch, the trouble has to be BEFORE the switch.

thanks all for the quick response...after all the work i had done i mistakenly put the old flasher back in so that was easy...I will caution anyone that uses the wiring diagrams you posted. The wiring on the printed circuit connector is wrong. If you hook it up the way it shows you will have the instrument lamps from the headlight switch rheostat (dimmer) hooked to your turn signal indicator and your turn signal indicator from the turn signal switch will be hooked to the instument lamps and flash with the flasher. I had to look at the traces on the circuit board to figure that misprint out. I did the lm7805 ss voltage regulator mod and all is well in the electrical dept now.

Are you sure you are not just low on fluid?
blinkerfluid.jpg

-
Back