Turn signal switch help

-
$9.00 in the help section at Oreillys. And it will fix it.

I got mine off ebay for about 10 bucks, and it has a new spring, clips and wire.

Just an FYI

You can buy them through Napa too. Yes, if your turn signals do not shut off automatically after making a turn, then a new cancel cam should fix it.

My big question is will that part fit a 66. The later more common setup was different in the cancel cams. The early models did not have a lane change detent and later models did. I don't remember the years that interchange. I just know that slantsixdan had a batch of oem quality turn signal switches made a couple years back and they are much superior in quality to parts store turn signal switches. So if you do replace the entire switch contact member slantsixdan.

You should only have to replace the plastic "cancel cam". Yours is the "SM9" as I recall. I recall ~$15 on ebay. Later years (~68+) added 2 wires to the cam (different PN maybe SM17, but I think they interchange fine, just don't use the wires. In your car, it is easy to get at the switch if you get a cheap steering wheel puller ($10 HF). If your lights don't work right afterward, it is because the spring contacts popped out when you were rushing and you put them back wrong. There is a post with good photos showing exactly how to orient them.

If you do replace the whole switch (maybe $90 new), don't cut the wires like most fools do. Use a small screwdriver to release the pins from the connector housing. Then you have to "fish" the new wires thru the column with a puller wire. And disconnect BATT- first so your horn doesn't scare the bejesus out of you and bother the neighbors.

-
Back