Turn signal switch...

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hello, there is a little problem thats bugging me...i put on a working turn signal switch on my car and everything works fine, except theres a little porblem i cant seem to fix, whenever I turn my steering wheel as much as where that pin on the inside end of the steering wheel touches that spring with a rolling metal wheel on the turn signal switch the horn beeps...whats wrong here! it annoys me and people around me haha

horn.JPG

The little wheel on the switch is finding a ground from the steering wheel when its being turned to just the right position. If I had to guess the wheel rim might be touching the steering column when it is being turned but it hard to diagnose a problem like that without being there.

is the purple wire high enough to touch horn wheel?
or is the insolation worn so it can get power from it to the horn ring.

I got the switch off a 74 dart so it must be for my car, the switch is exxactly the same as the one i had in before but with good wires...

any other guesses so that when i take the wheel off i know what to check? hehe

Do you have an after market steering wheel adapter? If so, that ground spring is not your problem. Like memike kinda said...and I have had the same problem. When you tighten down on your steering wheel bolt the spring compresses which is quite fine (it's suppose too), however you may have tighten the bolt so much that you have pushed the adapter of your steering wheel too far and now the back of the adaptor is grounding out on that purple wire or the turn signal "securing screw" making your horn go off. This could be your problem if you have noticed also that your turn signal lever seens tight in it's left or right movements. If so...I had to grind down the screw head a tad to clear the grounding out.

-
Back