Turn signal trouble shooting

-

SoCal mopar

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
Alright guys i'm back. My Autometer gauges are in - ground gremlin after gremlin, no water or feeding after midnight, i did it!
Now for some reason, since tearing my dash apart, my turn signals aren't working.
Working with my dash wiring post I downloaded the chassis book (72 Plymouth) and have tried to do a lot of hunting before now.

72 dart swinger - /6

I believe the brakes are working,
Both L/H headlights work
parking lights work
hazards work
tail lights work until i use the turn signal than the related side turns off ?
rear side markers work

Replaced both hazard and turn signal flashers for upgrading regardless of troubleshooting.
No LED bulbs or flashers.

From top to bottom with key on..

White - stop lamp - pedal pressed = 0-11.2
Brown - Right rear - blinker on and off = 0
DGN - Left rear - blinker on and off = 0
R - Turn signal / flasher = 11.2
P - Hazzard flasher = 11.2
T - Right front - blinker on and off = 0
LGN - Left front- blinker on and off = 0
Black - Horn = 11.2

Turn signal flashers 11 in both leads

The w bulkhead wire in the engine bay has 11
Its supply or return wire Z had 0

There is a little play in the blinker arm .... because the blinker flasher has power and is supplying the column, i am leading to believe it is the turn signal switch in the column?
Hot goes in - horn, flashers, and stop lamp work, but not the turn signals?

Am i missing a ground somewhere? I know on my Cuda there was a ground issue causing the tail lights to get all wonky. The ground on the dash is tight and appears to be working as it should be.

I couldnt fine the wire that split off from W and went to the radio area.... But its sister wire turn signal flasher so i dont see how it would affect the turn signals.

I am not an electric guy but i am trying :BangHead:

Appreciate the input guys.

Enter the Matrix.....

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6668.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6670.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know where all you measured those voltages you posted, AKA are they at the rear lights, or at the left kick panel connector for the rear harness, or up at the TS connector.

I would start either at the TS connector or the left kick panel connector. Find those connectors on you shop manual draw them out and note the colors and function. Then measure them out. You can also check for brake light power there. With the turn lever centered, brake power should go to both rears. And you can check the LF and RF there as well. Depending on what you come up with, move to the rear. It almost sounds like a rear socket grounding problem. Do not negate a wrong bulb, defective bulb, or bulb jammed in a socket 1/2 turn off which can happen if the socket is rusted/ abused, or the lamp bayonet is not "sticky outey" very far

I was just reading your posts @ Turn signal troubles
about paths ....

I disconnected the pin connector under the dash and tested each pin.

Because neither front or rear are working I am thinking the path has to be earlier affected than front or rear.... Because power goes into the column, but no power comes from the column through the turn signal lights, i feel like the the turn signal cam is far enough into the path to be the problem. . .

Maybe the lights are like christmas lights - one goes out they all go out

:rofl:

Yeh if you don't have anything out of the column that is starting to sound line the TS switch When you have an integrated hazard flasher switch as yours does, that can kill the rear lights but the fronts should still work if the TS switch itself is OK. I would wiggle stuff good

Here again, I'd get your connector drawn out, wire colors, and functions, so you can quickly figure what is up.

Inputs: Key off, you should always have hazard flasher power. If any doubt, jumper the hazard flasher connector and that of course will give you full time power from that circuit This should feed to all 4 corners with flasher engaged

Brake switch power: Anytime pedal is down, you should have power on that line and with switch centered, to both rear lines.

If it won't do that and you for sure have power to the switch, then the switch has gone away

Thank you, flashers are good all the time and so it the brake light. I am just trying to make sure i dont miss anything. I am going to buy a switch but will keep hunting.

-
Back