turn signal trouble

-

Road/Rage

Reaction score
Hey guys Im having a time with my 65 dart blinkers. When I turn the key on and hit the blinker right and blinker left they work fine except the driver side is very dim. When I turn the head lights on its the same thing except the indicator. When I switch to right turn signals the column blinks left and when I switch to the left it blinks to the right. Anyone know what cause this. Again left blinker bulb works but is very dim and when I turn the headlights on the indicators are opposite on the column!

So what is dim? Are the actual signals dim, or the cluster indicators?

I would guess cluster grounding. They are "poorly" grounded through the mounting screws. Does yours have two PC boards in the cluster? I would remove it, go through and loosen/ tighten/ loosen tighten PC board mounting screws to "scrub" them clean, and then add a pigtail from a cluster ground point, and bolt that to the main dash or the column support. Also while you have it out, remove the bulbs/ sockets and clean around the PC board where they contact, and generally check for cleanliness and corrosion, etc

So what is dim? Are the actual signals dim, or the cluster indicators?

I would guess cluster grounding. They are "poorly" grounded through the mounting screws. Does yours have two PC boards in the cluster? I would remove it, go through and loosen/ tighten/ loosen tighten PC board mounting screws to "scrub" them clean, and then add a pigtail from a cluster ground point, and bolt that to the main dash or the column support. Also while you have it out, remove the bulbs/ sockets and clean around the PC board where they contact, and generally check for cleanliness and corrosion, etc
Ugh that what I didnt want to do. I replaced the blinker today and it solved the dim light issue. Plus now it makes the clicking sound. Still have the issue when lights are on the column blinks opposite of the position i have the lever in. Outside they work as they should. Im replacing the light switch next. I hope this ends it. I hate electrical issues!

Has someone been fiddling with the wiring that you know of? Are you sure it previously worked OK? The dash indicators are dead nuts simple. The tap off the front lamps feeds, probably either at the TS switch connector or at the bulkhead connector, and simply feed up to the cluster. I'd have to look I think they are tan and light green.

(Quick look at the manual shows they tap off right at the column TS switch connector, D9 is right front, tan, D10 is left front, light green).

Last edited:
-
Back