Turn signals died

-

Brian

Reaction score
I have a 72 Charger and the turn signals just stopped working one day.
Here are the details:

Everything else works: hazzard lights, horn, brake lights, etc.
Replaced short, fat, two prong turn signal can (works with hazzard lights).
Checked contact on turn signal cam in stering column. OK

I found another can under the dash that is not as fat as the turn signal can. The guy at Pep Boys had no idea what it was and had nothing on the shelf that looked like it. It is a three prong can.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I would think that's your problem. One is your hazard flasher unit and the other for your turn signal unit. Someone should have one or just try matching at another auto parts place.

I found the buzzer. It is a rectangular steel can mounted directly on to the fuse box. It sounds like is is sick and dying.

But the unidentified can has three prongs and that is where no one seems to be able to match it.

Brian said:
I have a 72 Charger and the turn signals just stopped working one day.
Here are the details:

Everything else works: hazzard lights, horn, brake lights, etc.
Replaced short, fat, two prong turn signal can (works with hazzard lights).
Checked contact on turn signal cam in stering column. OK

I found another can under the dash that is not as fat as the turn signal can. The guy at Pep Boys had no idea what it was and had nothing on the shelf that looked like it. It is a three prong can.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I had the same exact issue on my Duster. After checking everything, I started checking grounds and cleaned the large ground on the steering column. After the large ground was freshened up, the signals began to function again, and actually better than before. I would have to bet that it is either a ground or a short somewhere, rather than a parts failure.

:thumbup:

OK. Here is the picture of both the hazzard flasher can and the "other" can. The hazzard flasher on the left is new. The old one is a three prong and has markings "SF3227813" and "7B01".

I checked all of the connections from the steering wheel to the plastic connectors under the dash. All seem to make contact when the turn signal lever is flipped.

SignalFlasher.jpg

Never seen anything like that one. Try looking under the dash for the other flasher,one of mine is by the clove box in my duster.
paul

Brian said:
OK. Here is the picture of both the hazzard flasher can and the "other" can. The hazzard flasher on the left is new. The old one is a three prong and has markings "SF3227813" and "7B01".

I checked all of the connections from the steering wheel to the plastic connectors under the dash. All seem to make contact when the turn signal lever is flipped.

Brain, what no longer works when you pull the three prong? I know some have dash pots for an ignition light ect.

what colors were the wires for that 2 prong flasher can? i think the turn signal has a red one in there and the hazard has a pink one....not sure though. but like signetv8 said you have 2.

btw, i have been wondering what that ? can is. i have seen them before but nver figured out what they were.

I would follow moparj's suggestion and check all the simple stuff, bulb sockets, grounds, and wiring. I had a similar issue and it was just corrosion around the bulb socket. You can also check Mymopar.com, If you have the wire colors they have wiring diagrams so you could match up the wires and location to the component.

Sinse you have two flasher units you will have two separate power supplies.
So that tells me that the flasher's will work with the ignition off.
And the turn signal circuit needs the switch on.could it be a circuit that leave's your ignition switch.
Are you checking for 12 volts or continuity?
I am shur you have checked for a fuse but is there a fussed link under your dash leaving the steering column.
Let me know if you have figured this out and I will look for a wire diagram this morning. :coffee2:

OK. I have more info:
DartLarry is on to something. The three prong can seems to control the ignition light. I don't have a seat belt light and the headlights work regardless of if the can is in or out. The ingition light bulb was bunt out, so I replaced it, but now it wont go out (probably why it was burnt out in the first place). It stays on all the time, even when I take the key out. When I unplug the three prong can, the light goes out. For now, I removed the light bulb.

Also, I found a second flasher can burried way up under the dash by the glove box. I repaced the can with a new one and the turn signals still don't work! @#%*! I think I'll be using the ol' hand signals for a while.

By the way... The schematics in the Haynes manual is the ablolute worst. Who writes this stuff? Impossible to follow!

try the column connector main plug. sounds as though the plug terminal has slipped.
that was the solution to the same problem with my 65 belvedere.

Ok Here It Goes. There Are Two Relays One For The Turn Signals, And One For The Flashers. You Cannot Interchange These Two Relays, (the Flasher Relay Will Not Work In The Turn Signal Plug ) You May Have The Flasher Relay In The Turn Signal Plug. Just Something To Check.

OK, I'm off to the parts store to see if they have a turn signal flasher and not a hazzard flasher. The turn signal flasher that was in there was slightly taller than the hazzard. The guy at the parts store said that they were the same, but obviously, he is mis-informed. I'll make sure to tell him the engine size so that he can find the correct flasher!

Brian said:
OK. I have more info:
DartLarry is on to something. The three prong can seems to control the ignition light. I don't have a seat belt light and the headlights work regardless of if the can is in or out. The ingition light bulb was bunt out, so I replaced it, but now it wont go out (probably why it was burnt out in the first place). It stays on all the time, even when I take the key out. When I unplug the three prong can, the light goes out. For now, I removed the light bulb.

Also, I found a second flasher can burried way up under the dash by the glove box. I repaced the can with a new one and the turn signals still don't work! @#%*! I think I'll be using the ol' hand signals for a while.

i brought up the time delay thingy and dart larry gets the credit :p

sounds like you might have a short or somethin

Sorry DragginMaster, your both correct. However, I did get a different flasher from the parts store and it still don't work. I give up for today.

DragginMAster said:
i brought up the time delay thingy and dart larry gets the credit :p

sounds like you might have a short or somethin

Time to brain storm!! :coffee2:

-
Back