Turn signals light on when the brake pedal is pressed- 1969 Dodge Dart

-

Octavio Garcia

Reaction score
I’m having an issue with my 1969 Dodge Dart Custom/ 2 Door. Stock slant 6 225 3.7

My 4 front turn signals stay on. They don’t flash unless I use the turn signal.

Every time I press the brake pedal, the turn signals lights go off.

They don’t flash, they just stay lit when I turn on the car.

Any ideas will help! Thanks fam!

What have you done to the electrical system, lately? in the past?

Any body work?

Do you have an electrical diagram?

I replaced the flasher. I had the original rectangle one in there. I replaced it with a circle one since the rectangles were discontinued.

Same issue. I replaced the brake pedal switch. As soon as I connect the brake pedal switch. The turn signals automatically stay on

Instead of throwing parts at it, try to figure out what is going on.
This and the link to the Chrysler tech booklet explains how the turn signals work in general.
Turn signal fun
1967 Chrysler Imperial Electrical Accessory Circuit From the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 236 (this link works and explains the turn signals and hazzards)

Then look at your car and the wiring diagram to sketch out how the stuff actually connects in your car.
It might be just as shown in the examples, or some slight changes in how connections were made. pretty sure yours has the combined turn/brake/tail bulbs with two filiments.

Take each bulb out and look it. It could be something as minor as bulb noit properly seated or two wires touching that shouldn't.

Brake light switch gets power from one of the always hot fuses.
Hazzard lights. Same.
Turn signals get power at the fuse box from a fuse that's only connected when key is in Run or accessory positions.

Last edited:
For the best diagrams, use the ones in the back of the electrical section of the shop manual.
@1969383S has made pdf versions of those, with some of the circuits on different layers. Turning the a needed layers off makes it easier to follow the connections. print or redraw what you need. It will make more sense after you physically have to follow the paths.
1969 Plymouth Barracuda wiring diagram (not mine)

Thanks fam for your time. I think I found the issue. I might have crossed a wire when I replaceD my Turn signal switch. I bought it new from classic Industries.

I tried looking for the color coded paper that it came with but I can’t find it. Here is the part number below. Any ideas where I can get that aftermarket diagram?

MD2139 - 1967-71 Mopar Turn Signal Switch; without Tilt Wheel; 7 Wire Switch

Looks like the original wires came that On the turn signal switch from the wiring harness have 9 wires. The new TS I bought came With 8 wires. I’m scratching my head.

upload_2020-5-11_21-27-38.jpeg

upload_2020-5-11_21-28-4.jpeg

hopefully these pics help with colors. Keep in mind this is 68 Dart. brake light is pink and white. Reverse light purple purple or white purple. I do have new under dash harness though

View attachment 1715526440
View attachment 1715526441
hopefully these pics help with colors. Keep in mind this is 68 Dart. brake light is pink and white. Reverse light purple purple or white purple. I do have new under dash harness though

the hardware on your steering column support looks new. My plastic pieces broke.

Do you know where I can get them? or the exact name for them so I can look them up

-
Back