Turning a 74 into a 72

-
Not to much to update I have some issues with the paint. Decided to wet sand it and spray it again. I still have a gallon of paint and a gallon of clear so it's not like I have to buy more paint.
I still have the hood to do to. I been waiting to get the old paint blasted off of the underside. Started doing that last week end but ran out of sand with about a 1/4 of it to do. I'll get the rest done tomorrow night then get it in primer. The top of the hood is already to go.
Did manage to get the doors back on tonight. Not to easy by yourself but I got it done.
Hoping for good weather on labor day to get it painted and cleared. Guess will see about that though.

74%20dart%20001.jpg

74%20dart%20002.jpg

74%20dart%20003.jpg

:cheers: Looking great greendart. But I think you need a new SN. Your car looks blue in the pics8)
Hope the weather holds out for ya.....

Coming out nice, keep up the good work.

Raining all day so I been playing with things out in the shop. I had a bezel from my old dart and thought I would try painting it black and seeing how it would look against the blue dash. What to you guys think. Black or wood grain?

74%20dart%20172.jpg

74%20dart%20173.jpg

I just read this thread tonight..........Great job and love the color!

I prefer the woodgrain trim, but that's just my opinion. Do what you like bud. :cheers:

Man , this thing is slick !
Does -- or did -- the '74 have the good disc brakes on it ? Or , was it stuck with either crappy drums , or that stupid small bolt pattern , 4 piston K-H "stickers" ?

imo , go with the wood grain dash bezel(s) . I've always wanted to make some out of real wood for my '72 , but never got around to it ... I think a wood grained steerin wheel would look great in there ,too .

Keep up the great work ! I hope that your dad's doing well .

Man , this thing is slick !
Does -- or did -- the '74 have the good disc brakes on it ? Or , was it stuck with either crappy drums , or that stupid small bolt pattern , 4 piston K-H "stickers" ?

imo , go with the wood grain dash bezel(s) . I've always wanted to make some out of real wood for my '72 , but never got around to it ... I think a wood grained steerin wheel would look great in there ,too .

Keep up the great work ! I hope that your dad's doing well .

Dads doing good, he's still looking at some back surgery but is getting around better now. Thanks for asking.
The 74 had BBP discs on the front it was in great shape. Was owned by one family. The original owner gave the car to his grandson who didn't think you had to check the oil and blew up the /6 in it.

For guys like my son and I who are just getting into rebuilding cars this post is priceless to see. Thanks for sharing the journey. Can't wait to see it done.

I like the contrast for the black. I think it goes better with the black pads under it.

Last week I bought a 71 manual steering floor shift column so today I took it apart cleaned it up. I installed the ignition out of the 74 and painted it. Also rebuilt the shaft coupler and put my steering wheel on it.

74%20dart%20003.jpg

Yesterday I put the dash back in.

74%20dart%20174.jpg

Smoked a batch of salmon today so now it's beer and smoked fish time!
On the 28th of this month I'll be driving my folks down to Yuma AZ. And I'll spend a few weeks there. Look out Cheryl Here I come!
Here's what I'll be driving.
Yuma%20002.jpg

Later time to drink!

Thanks DD, the motor home is a 40 footer with three slide outs, has a cummins diesel in it and gets about 11 miles to the gallon.

8) Great progress on the Dart Stan. Love the steering wheel....Carrera?

Your folks have a very sweet coach and hopefully will enjoy a mild winter again here in AZ :sunny:. If you make it to Phx, please feel free to contact!

Drive safe my friend.........:thumbup:

Looks really good. I'll be starting my 74 swap in the next week or so.

to bad u didn't use the 72 dart doors the metal upper trim looks way better than the plastic trim.wouldn't even tell it was a 74 if u use the 72 doors. nice color like the blue.

Thought about the 72 doors but decided I liked the looks of the doors with no wing windows better. That I was real tired of listening to the wing windows whistle.

Except 74 quarters are different than 72-73 quarters

I know the "quarter extensions" are different but they just bolt on and the marker lights are different on 70's but the "quarters" being different? Not to sure about What you mean that the quarters are different....

And keep up the good work, I'm starting the same project on saturday!

I know the "quarter extensions" are different but they just bolt on and the marker lights are different on 70's but the "quarters" being different? Not to sure about What you mean that the quarters are different....

And keep up the good work, I'm starting the same project on saturday!

You're right about the extensions. The 72-73 quarters and the 74-76 quarters have the same side markers but they are in different locations. 72-73 are in the same spot as the 70-71 but on the 74-76 they are higher and more to the front.

-
Back