TURNING A MAZDA INTO A MoPar

-

blue missile

Reaction score
OK I finally got the cable that allows me to download pics from my phone so here is the start.
Part of the plan for the car is to run an electronic 5 speed auto with a paddle shifter. The after market paddles are expensive and look bulky. My brother in law said he had a Mazda with a paddle shifter so thats what I went after.
I got a complete steering col from an RX8 and have made it one of ours.
First pic is of the 1/4" thick M shaped piece of 'Divinicell'
Then its a pic of it applied to the insert sitting in the wheel, and then one of it covered with leather.

Divinicell M.jpg

epoxied bag in wheel.jpg

leather covered bag.jpg

Why are you turning a Mazda into a Mopar? Just curious..... Interesting thread and please post pictures as you go about this.

Oh OK!!! Sorry I misunderstood. Looks cool with the logo. Almost wonder why Ma Mopar didn't put the "M" on the factory steering wheels, it looks pretty cool!!!!

Andrew, you continue to forge new ground. Nice work.

Nice work, as always great stuff!!! I wish Ma Mopar did do the M instead of the stupid sheep. lol

please oh please hook up the shifter paddles and acc. on the steering wheel, that was be so badass!

Yes to everyone,
The entire reason for getting the steering column was for all of the controls and the paddle shifters.
I wont have room in the dash for the headlight and wiper controls. Now they are transferred to the col where they belong.
This was one of those busy projects until I can get the AlterK and get the col in place. I will say the wiring harness will be intense!
Andrew

Very creative =P~, Good job on the wheel 8)8)

Man........No end to some of this great stuff........

Intriguing column conversion to say the least.............Love the leather work too. 8)

There is no SRS it was blown when I got the center piece.With the racing harness it wont be needed.
Andrew

thats great stuff!!!
I would like to know more about the tranny set up this will work with is it like a manual valvebody? Are you going to have to run this through an ECM? My knowledge level is a bit lacking :)

She Devil,
the current plan is to run a 545RFE and a control box for the paddle shifters all the rest of the controls may have to be shunted through relays. To use the paddle shifter you put the tranny in drive and up and down shift with the paddles.
Andrew

Wow, you have so many neat and different ideas :cheers: One thing I enjoy is every time I read your thread it is something that nobody else has done to their Mopar like you are doing. Keep up the great work and keep the pictures comming!!

-
Back