Turquoise or Street hemi orange for my 340 in the 69 Swinger?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
340 is about ready to dump in the 69 Swinger. It is a 70 block now X headed 340 and was previously orange. The original 340 to my Swinger was turquoise. Should I just freshen up the orange, or change it to Turquoise. Not sure how the turquoise will cover the orange and may just peel and look crappy after a short time. this engine only had 3000 mi. on a rebuild and I spun # 5 rod bearing. Have since installed a new crank, #s 5 and 6 rods, has assembly rebalanced. Did oiling mods, added 7 qt pan. I am going for factory look w 69 valve cover, correct air breather, but a performer RPM intake. Would really like the original turquoise but orange will be much easier. Have a couple days to decide while Im waiting for the new centerforce clutch to get here.

Unless you're doing a show room resto, paint the block any color you want. That said I'd go orange (easier to find leaks).

Unless you're doing a show room resto, paint the block any color you want. That said I'd go orange (easier to find leaks).

I think ill just go orange, as its not the #s engine anyways. It still features its 70 timing cover and water pump w a 70 cross flow radiator, so #s matching is not an issue. Although I do have the #s block and radiator tucked away. Less hassle, and it was orange before anyways. I have the turquoise paint, but Im thinking if it starts to peel it will look like crap w orange under it.

the Turquoise or Street hemi orange debate has come up quite a bit on moparts... seems most came Turquoise but some orange did sneak out.. seems to me that maybe the earlier ones may have been Turquoise and the late ones maybe orange..

My 1969 340 was turquoise and it had a build date in may 69 so the late ones got painted turquoise too. I say paint it what ever color you want.

Paint it whatever color you want, but I always thought the '69 small blocks were red and the '69 383's were turquoise.In '70 the small blocks were orange.Personaly I would never paint my small block orange,because I would have to puck on the first chev guy that looked at it and called it "Chevy Orange".Also the Mopar Performance Catalog show's P4349218AB Engine Paint, Red, 1964- 69 273/ 1968- 69 340 and P4120752AB Engine Paint, Turquoise, 1962- 71 Big Block except High Performance, 1969- 71
383/440 Big Block.I put a '70 340 in my '68 Dart and painted it red.jmo

Pick a color that works well with your car color. The engines a focal point on every car, make it stand out!

I would go Turquoise, original to that year, plus if you paint it orange, any chips or peeling will show the old color through. What ever color you choose, don't but the engine paint from Mopar, it is all garbage.

I once read someplace that 69 models engine colors depended on what plant in which the car was built, but I'm not sure if thats true. I say paint it which ever color you like.

Did somebody say hemi orange? ......heres a few picture of the engine I built for my duster a couple of years ago if it helps you any with your decision making.

during putting it together
DSCI0711.jpg

The intake after I spiffed it up
DSCI0703.jpg

On the stand just after i built it
DSCI0793-1.jpg

After dunking it in
DSCI0343-2.jpg

Heres one of it completed after doing up custom air cleaner/valve covers and some odds and ends.
IMG_20110504_210359-1.jpg

hope that helps

Originally Turquoise. Cost the same as orange.

Just looks like it fits right.

Paint it what ever you want. I just changed mine to Hemi Orange it's going into a green Duster. Looks good to me.
KarlsEBay019.jpg

-
Back