TV car shows

-

rj72cda

Reaction score
I have read a couple of threads bashing down or building up the car builder/flipper shows. just makes me wonder how many people have truly worked in the "restoration or repair" industry. this idea that sometimes you don't have to hit a car hit a hammer after its painted to make it fit right or some grinding after its painted and assembled. most of us building our cars have time to walk away and leave the car alone for a week or months till we get ready to do it what we think is "right" any shop would have to make the best of the time they have. I just wonder if it were a show on heart surgery and the ribs were pried open and guts laying out would you nit pick the Doctor for doing it Wrong

None of those shows are meant to showcase anyones ability to restore cars, and by the quality of work being done on any one of them, not a single person on those shows knows a thing about "restoration". Those shows are meant to do one thing...generate ratings for their networks!! Yes, you can argue that they are keeping classic cars in the public eye, but they go about it without providing any factual information or real world techniques or procedures.

My one example is the "restoration" of the 65 Cuda on "Desert Car Kings". Anybody that would knowingly and grossly mis-represent the value of the rear window on an early Cuda is clearly going for a self serving ratings grab, and is of no help to us, the knowing public. JOKE!!!

Counting cars... LAME
Texas Car Wars... HACKS
Fast and Loud...IDIOTS

Chop, Cut, Rebuild and the shows like Trucks and the Hot Rod Power Hour are all at least trying to show step by step instructions within the confines of time, but they too lose out to high dollar donated parts and corporate budgets that donate parts that the common enthusiast has to save up for, maybe for years, just to buy!!

Still waiting on a show that shows "actual" facts and correct procedures for real world enthusiasts, although ratings would certainly kill the show, without a "character" like Chumlee for the "National Enquirer" crowd to love/hate!! JMO of course, Geof

I've been in the restoration industry for something like two decades. I'll pretty much stand with Geof on his post. The programs that actually show at least some of the how to, or at least work being done are more interesting to me.

Do manufacturers donate big money parts to the builds out there? Yep, mostly. Sometimes it's just a deep discount price. Try to keep in mind that somebody still has to pay the taxes on that stuff no matter how it got there. Considering that advertising in any national/global sort of way takes big money, getting your product on a TV car build can actually be a cheaper way to go. (Flip side of the coin would be everybody and their brother with a camcorder on their I phone hitting you up for product for their "new" show).

Whereas we would sit through a half hour show on how to rebuild your Torquflite, most of the world won't. Consider that most of America doesn't ride choppers, but can probably name the Tuttles. I don't like the style of bikes they build, but suddenly everyone was building a ridiculous bike like that. They got rich off of the show and merchandising. It's the formula that seams to prevail and will be copied until someone else gets an original idea that makes more money.

This is why no network would touch Graeyard Carz when he tried to sell it as a how to restore classic Mopars show. He had to sell the characters AKA Orang County Choppers to get it on TV. The intention is it gradually swing from the characters to the cars in the next season. There is some good information on this show but you have to sit through all the other stuff to get to it.

Now that dude and DVAP show both are the BOTTOM of the barrel to me just hate to see posters nit pick a guy doing something a little different as wrong. geez a section of 2X4 and a hammer is way cheaper than a porta power in a pinch

Oh and Barry White is a Clown...Super Muscle Cars my a**!

I was watchin' in awe where the guy in Texas Car Wars was havin' his man "Block" replace the floor section with this flimsy piece of tin foil to "Git-er-Dun" and sell it!! Just what I want to find later in a car that he sold me for $9K!!

Desert car kings chit out some of the most hacked painted over rust buckets I've ever seen. Then they ***** and moan that they didn't fetch a ton of money at their make shift auction. Hopefully the members talking smack are seasoned body men to be bashing others work. I've been doing restorations since the 80's with my dad and I've seen work and fixed work from shops who claim to be professionals. It's real easy to criticize folks but when that jacked up fender is in your face, what would you do?

I could have told that Fast and Loud guy he was overpaying for some of the cars he lost a bunch of money on. He paid something like $27,000 for a 32 Ford low boy that needed a complete rebuild. He didn't know to inspect the frame thoroughly before shelling out that kind of money? It's got to be driveable for that kind of money and in need of a lot less work than that car needed. He lost a ton of money on that car.

For that matter, the days of paying $10,000 for a shell are over, regardless of what it is. The market's just not there anymore. I remember seeing rusted out hulks that were once 69 Chargers being listed for five figures. And some of the sellers were getting it. But those days are gone. I'm seeing a good number of sellers who are more willing to negotiate now and you can find some reasonably priced projects if you look hard enough. You don't have to overpay.

I would sit down and watch "How to rebuild your Torquflite" set to the tone of Modern Marvels. With all the unfocused BS on TV that should be easy to make.

I veg out to them just to see cool old cars take them for what they are worth. If i want inspiration i go here and read peoples threads and then back at it.

I like all the car rebuild shows. Less so the high-dollar ones with donated after-market parts and installation team, where every car must be Foosified with a giant crate engine and custom wheels. My favorite is Wheeler Dealers, which seems the most genuine, tackles a wide variety of models, and interesting British accents and terminology.

Texas Car Wars is interesting for the different shop approaches. Big Frank hustles quick flips, the Jersey guy talks big but often has to call in engine experts or sell off unfinished projects, the blond girl is too fussy, and Rodriguez makes cool old cars with fantastic paint jobs. Sounds almost scripted.

All the shows convince me I could never make a living at it. They spend untold weeks or months on a car for $5K profit if lucky, which gets split 3+ ways, so <$20K/yr per person for long nights and high risk. I imagine the networks kick in a bit so their families don't starve.

I like all the car rebuild shows. Less so the high-dollar ones with donated after-market parts and installation team, where every car must be Foosified with a giant crate engine and custom wheels. My favorite is Wheeler Dealers, which seems the most genuine, tackles a wide variety of models, and interesting British accents and terminology.

Texas Car Wars is interesting for the different shop approaches. Big Frank hustles quick flips, the Jersey guy talks big but often has to call in engine experts or sell off unfinished projects, the blond girl is too fussy, and Rodriguez makes cool old cars with fantastic paint jobs. Sounds almost scripted.

All the shows convince me I could never make a living at it. They spend untold weeks or months on a car for $5K profit if lucky, which gets split 3+ ways, so <$20K/yr per person for long nights and high risk. I imagine the networks kick in a bit so their families don't starve.

I never miss Wheeler Dealers. The rest are kinda lame!

I too like Wheeler Dealer even thought few American cars are done..One thing this show does that they all do..When they tell you that Profit..None of them ever factor in LABOR..The highest cost of the job...
1971 - 914 Project $4000 for car...$1300 Parts...Sold for $8250
Said $2900+ Profit..What about those two weeks worth of labor including dropping the entire drive train that took to fix car ???????:finga:
:protest:

"My Classic Car" shows regular guys like me and you. I like when he has Leno on, too. Spike's "Horsepower" and "Muscle Car" are OK, too. The other aforementioned shows suck and fall more into the category of "reality" shows, like "Survivor."
The worst: Graveyard Carz and Desert Car Kings.

Graveyard Carz if my favorite and I talk to those guys a good bit on Facebook. They had the most original and most true idea to restore cars the right way and teach it but when it came time to get out there from the local media outlet they had well they had to add some drama but really they are like a family.

They all grew up together and its normal life to them but you do learn things from them as well. Also if you have a car and have questions and post on their facebook page you get an answer from Mark.

I do like Fast & Loud and Texas Car Wars. The guy that does all the hot rods sticks with what he knows and does well at it.

I also like Muscle Car TV on spike and Hot Rod TV at times. The ones on Speed Channel used to be good but I have not seen a new one in a long time.

With Graveyard Carz stay tunned for what is to come I hear more info and specs on the cars with a little drama and they will be doing the Phantasam cuda with the movie produce, writer himself on the show.

The guy who wrote and produced the movie Phantasam wrote the move around the Cuda.

TV has people doing and saying some weird things lately. At least once a week I'll have someone tell me how much my car is "worth" or some other BS that makes no sense. Just like how Sons of Anarchy has all these poser "MC CLubs" sprouting up. Down the hill from us is a Sports Bar that recently became an MC hangout. At 2am every night these A-holes sit in the parking lot revving their sh*t acting like clowns. Every other week a guy will spill his bike coming out of the parking lot trying to be a badass on his new bike he just learned to ride.

I never miss Wheeler Dealers. The rest are kinda lame!

I agree, it's the most "honest" show of this genre I've seen yet.

I believe the premise is the first guy puts up the money, and buys the parts, then the second guy does the work...and they split the "profit".

They seem to have a non-speaking laboroer, who is only around when a two person job is required. If it were me, the first guy would be doing that.

It looks like season 2 has them going abroad, and including the travel expenses, and getting into some higher dollar cars.

They are also doing more cars that are not just repairs, liek the Fiat 500 and the 944.

At first I had trouble getting into the European cars, but now I'm getting an education, and seeing more cars I recognize.

Goes to show that mostly factual, less dramatic show can make it.

...and 8K is STRONG money for a 914.

You know...I sure can find 'em...and my brother in law is a really good, well rounded mechanic/body guy...

I agree, it's the most "honest" show of this genre I've seen yet.

I believe the premise is the first guy puts up the money, and buys the parts, then the second guy does the work...and they split the "profit".

They seem to have a non-speaking laboroer, who is only around when a two person job is required. If it were me, the first guy would be doing that.

It looks like season 2 has them going abroad, and including the travel expenses, and getting into some higher dollar cars.

They are also doing more cars that are not just repairs, liek the Fiat 500 and the 944.

At first I had trouble getting into the European cars, but now I'm getting an education, and seeing more cars I recognize.

Goes to show that mostly factual, less dramatic show can make it.

...and 8K is STRONG money for a 914.

You know...I sure can find 'em...and my brother in law is a really good, well rounded mechanic/body guy...

I agree. Well stated!

I watch all of the car shows including wheeler dealers. That show is not geared toward restoring cars. They fix what's wrong and patch and cover the rest of the crap. Again I understand the premis of the show and its entertaining, but restoring a car correctly? It's not what the show is geared to. It would take a hell of a lot more episodes to do it thoroughly. I've expressed my feelings on graveyard cars in the past. That show could be awesome if they spent more time concentrating on the cars and waaay less time screwing around.

-
Back