TV car shows!!!

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I finally broke down and paid for Dish Velosity channel. Yep we are out in the sticks. So I watch them till my eyes are way wide open ALL the time. Overdosed!!!!!
So after a few weeks of seeing all this TV wonder , reality wonder that is, my brain is darn near fried.
I am like most of you guys, I enjoy watching a good mechanic, bodyman, fab man, actually see him DO work. See their techniques. I don't want to hear stupid drama, see them start something, and BOOM in the next frame it is DONE!! I want the cameraman to point is camera at the work, NOT the faces of the "actors"!!!! I enjoy trying to epand my knowledge and skills.
Then I tell the wife NOW I am so friggin tired of seeing rich people ( I have nothing against the rich folk) send their "dream" car to said shop, and spend how any tens of thousands of $$$$$$ on parts and a shop for how many months with how many workers!!??????????????????????????????????????????????? hahahahahahahahahahhahah

So I finally broke down and paid for Dish Velosity channel. Yep we are out in the sticks. So I watch them till my eyes are way wide open ALL the time. Overdosed!!!!!
So after a few weeks of seeing all this TV wonder , reality wonder that is, my brain is darn near fried.
I am like most of you guys, I enjoy watching a good mechanic, bodyman, fab man, actually see him DO work. See their techniques. I don't want to hear stupid drama, see them start something, and BOOM in the next frame it is DONE!! I want the cameraman to point is camera at the work, NOT the faces of the "actors"!!!! I enjoy trying to epand my knowledge and skills.
Then I tell the wife NOW I am so friggin tired of seeing rich people ( I have nothing against the rich folk) send their "dream" car to said shop, and spend how any tens of thousands of $$$$$$ on parts and a shop for how many months with how many workers!!??????????????????????????????????????????????? hahahahahahahahahahhahah
Yea, I know what you mean. People with a lot of money can have their cars done on TV. I like Grave Yard Cars, a lot
of people don't because of the antics of Mark Worman. That's just part of the show. They don't do a lot of A bodies,
as Mark says, not because we don't like them, there is just no money in them, compared to a B or E body. I talked to a guy at a car show one time, who as I remember had a 63 Coronet. The grille had hundreds of little areas painted black.
I asked the guy how long it took him to mask the grille and paint it. His response, Oh I don't know, they did it at the
shop.

I don't pay that much attention to the shop personnel, I watch for ideas to use in my cars. I've gotten some decent ideas, so far.

I still like Roadkill, Roadkill garage and Hot Rod garage the best. Mostly normal guy budget stuff and it makes me feel like I'm not the only one that occasionally screws something up.

I still like Roadkill, Roadkill garage and Hot Rod garage the best. Mostly normal guy budget stuff and it makes me feel like I'm not the only one that occasionally screws something up.
I like the free spirits of Roadkill. I love the one where they were getting a 68 Charger roller back on the road after sitting for 7 yrs. They had to pull a 440 out of motorhome, rob the rear out of their C body pats car, on and on. He admitted they thought it would be on the road in 3 days, BUT worked on it off and on for SIX months!!!! I relate!! lol
Everytime they break down side the road I learn some stuff!!!!!

I like Graveyard Carz.
They show a lot of ''how to do it'' stuff before, during, and after.
The fact that they do Mopars is a big plus too.
I like Worman, i think he is funny although a bit quirky.
Kinda like my sense of humor.............

I record Garage squad, Dave Kindig and Martin Brothers. They are family friendly and my wife will watch them with me. Kindig builds cars that are not part of my reality but I like his show and how clean it is.
I am impressed that they bought a 3-D Printer and are using it to build car parts. How long before they all have one? I like the way the producers are cleaning up the shows.
I record GC as well but the fake drama puts me off. I wouldn't even watch it but they to Mopars and I learn something every time I watch it.
I like the brits but don't record them. Their mechanic is very talented.

I used to get Gas Monkey Garage on another channel but it went away NO LOSS!!!!!! I hated Misfit Garage because in my opinion, they paid 3 times what a project was worth and sold it for 3 times its worth when they threw it together!! And the BS drama. Hollywood! lol
I agree with DesertRat, several shows he mentioned are very classy, but I admit I am just not into dropping, cutting, slicing, 20 inch wheels etc, but I still like their craftsmanship. I rather watch poor people like me that do their own work and drive their cars to all over!
Sorta like I just don't relate to someone giving $40,000 for a 2 nd gen. Charger RT 440 car! Or them giving $7-8000 for one that needs everything. BUT that is real world, not TV! lol

I like most of them that do every-man kind of builds. Garage Squad, Hot Rod, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealer, etc.. I can do without the guys that put airbags and 24's on everything or you don't see anything of the actual process. Love the vehicles on Graveyard cars but I'm sorry, Worman is an idiot and I don't think I'd let him touch my car. They really need to leave the fake BS out of it. Used to like watching Jesse James create stuff out of nothing using classic tools and techniques.

My vote is for Dan at Phantom Works. He tells it like it is and is not affair to build a hot rod.

If you want to see real people working on real cars, YouTube is great. You'll find a ton of very detailed walk through, tutorial, and how-to type videos. Just search for subject matter that interests you. Production quality varies widely of course. If you want something that is slickly produced, features a ton of Mopar content, and zero manufactured reality show drama, check out: Nick's Garage

I like the free spirits of Roadkill. I love the one where they were getting a 68 Charger roller back on the road after sitting for 7 yrs. They had to pull a 440 out of motorhome, rob the rear out of their C body pats car, on and on. He admitted they thought it would be on the road in 3 days, BUT worked on it off and on for SIX months!!!! I relate!! lol
Everytime they break down side the road I learn some stuff!!!!!
That was one of my favorite episodes. I also like when they built the Crop Duster, to me it's a relatable build. Some junkyard stuff, some parts you already have laying around, buy some stuff. Put it into a decent shell with the help of some friends and drive the wheels off of it. No massive chequebook builds and no made for TV drama.

Used to like watching Jesse James create stuff out of nothing using classic tools and techniques.

He still builds some great stuff, motorcycles, guns and cars. He also has the ability to attract some top notch talent to work for him.

If you want to see real people working on real cars, YouTube is great. You'll find a ton of very detailed walk through, tutorial, and how-to type videos. Just search for subject matter that interests you. Production quality varies widely of course. If you want something that is slickly produced, features a ton of Mopar content, and zero manufactured reality show drama, check out: Nick's Garage

I have to agree with you on the Youtube suggestion, as there is TONS of stuff on there.
Here lately there is a young guy on Youtube that does Chargers almost exclusively, but I can't remember the name of the show at the moment.

That was one of my favorite episodes. I also like when they built the Crop Duster, to me it's a relatable build. Some junkyard stuff, some parts you already have laying around, buy some stuff. Put it into a decent shell with the help of some friends and drive the wheels off of it. No massive chequebook builds and no made for TV drama.

And the Dirt fish episode where they took that same Charger after the motorhome 440 got put in.
I would LOVE to do that on that track and in that car.
That's how I drove when I was too young to get a license, as my Dad had friends that stored their dirt trackers on our property that I got to haul *** around in.

I like Full Custom Garage, been watching it for a few years on MAVTV, now it's on Velocity. He does awesome customs, without a lot of fancy tools, and there's not a whole lot of product placement.

I get all my car content from Youtube and Motortrend OnDemand (free - not paid). I like watching MightyCarMods, Bad Obsession Motorsports, Hoonigans, etc.

They all drive customers' cars like that...we just don't see it!!

I stopped by Dan's shop back before the show started (around 2011) to ask if he knew of any early Barracudas for sale. He was a great guy who took time to give me a tour of his shop. Proud man, for sure, but not cocky. I like the show because of very little drama.

If I took a car to him and he test drove it like he does, he would be paying for new tires.

I like Graveyard Carz.
They show a lot of ''how to do it'' stuff before, during, and after.
The fact that they do Mopars is a big plus too.
I like Worman, i think he is funny although a bit quirky.
Kinda like my sense of humor.............
So you are a bit 'Quirky'? Me too I guess, because I like Mark.

I second Nick’s Garage on youtube great show no bullshit drama. Also I think the other great show is called junkerup on youtube. He is a young talented guy that works almost exclusively on chargers out of his garage and is a fabricator for a race team. I don’t remember his name but he is pretty talented.

So you are a bit 'Quirky'? Me too I guess, because I like Mark.
Yes, i do have a dry sometimes sarcastic sense of humor.
You should see my brother, a few friends, (even a few guys at work) and I when we get on a roll............
Very similar with the emasculation stuff in the Worman camp!
However, when we need to be serious or technical, it's a different story.
A lot of people don't understand............

If I had a comfortable chair at the puter desk, I would watch more UTube!!!!

I agree. Full Custom Garage is very interesting. Very talented unassuming guy! Makes me want to chop a top too!!!! and buy some of those neat metal working tools! And a TIG welder!

Garage Squad recently did a charger for a couple whose son had been murdered touching episode i like that they started painting engine bays body color. Heather Storm being easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either.lol

-
Back