Twistex's 74 Duster log.

-

Twistex

Reaction score
"Sunset lights the sky, and there's a shadow over me..
Black clouds in the east
And there's a twister underneath.."

I've done something rather silly.

I've bought another car.

Now, my friends and relatives wouldn't define that as silly, but when my friends and relatives think of buying cars, they think of a few things. Going to the local dealer, finding a car you like, working out payment plans, haggling with the dealer, and then driving off in your shiny new car. Sometimes, just new-ish. Not "Yegods, that thing is 10 years older than you are!" You have shiny metal, not patina and rust. The question is never asked "What kind of fuel does it take?"..

Unless you're buying a classic. Which I have done.

I like the car, hence why I bought it. It's still not quite the car you show off to the folks, though. Especially if your folks have told you several times "No buying a project car, it's a stupid idea." So, I blame them. They told me not to.. so I did it.

I've been looking for a project car for some time now. I've always had a fondness for classic rolling iron. The delicious burble and healthy rumble of a V8 warms the cold, dead places of my heart. The sloping backs, meaty sides, and healthy appetites of these old machines make all my happy places tingle in just the right way. My attraction has only grown stronger over the years, as my lust for a classic car became something of a feasible idea. However, the more that time passes, the more things came up, the fewer good deals there were, and seemingly, the less money I had.

I remember when I was 15, and I wanted to buy my first car. I had my eyes and heart set on a 1972 Mercury Montego. It was in great shape, a little cosmetic damage, but overall solid. They wanted $1000, and that was pretty much all I had saved up. I talked with the owners. I chuckled with absent delight at the ignition in the center of the dash. I fondly prodded the 8-track player. It was huge, white, and packed a 351ci Windsor v8 under the hood. Bench seats big enough to sleep on, and more ashtrays than a cigar club. I was smitten, to say the least.

The parentals, of course, were less than thrilled. Well, we'll refine that. My father thought the idea was hilarious. He grew up in California, drag racing with his brother in various clubs. They used to spend the weekends destroying slicks in his brother's Pontiac GTO, or blazing down the ventura freeway in a blueprinted, dropped, fully-kitted Volvo p1800, or laughing at the rookies who challenged the local 440 Charger that had more getup and go under the hood than a saturn 5 rocket. His biggest concern was how much money I would wheedle from him for gas. He even tried to defend my choice to my mother; "Well, if he gets in an accident, he'll always be at least 16 feet from the point of impact!"

My mother, however, was less than thrilled. Adamantly opposed. Indignantly against. Deviously, underhandledly, schemingly against. She bought a 1987 Toyota Tercel for $400 off some family friends, and shut the door on my classic car lust. I decided to one-up her, and just buy another project car. When wind of this reached her, it came down with furious anger, and swift repirmanding. No car older than I was would "disgrace" her doorstep. My dreams of classic iron would wither on the vine until I was old enough to move out. Of course, I should have realized this all many years previously, when my father had attempted to buy a 57 Belair to restore, and she took the checkbook away. Downside of your wife being an accountant by trade, and in control of all the money.

Years passed, I grew older, learned technology, moved out, went through a series of apartments, and harbored a secret dream, filled with carbuerators and steel.

Oh, and the Toyota? I never even drove it. My sister wrecked her new Mazda after owning it for three months, and the parentals gave her the car. So, my father and I snuck off and bought me a 1980 Ford Granada the next year. Well, at least it was a big white boat... of some sort.

The granada gave way to a Neon, which in turn, helped finance a Mustang. The Mustang has only served to reignite the once blazing lust, and I started browsing craigslist with renewed interest.

Last year being the year of the president randomly throwing money at the population in order to shut them up, it became possible again. I began setting up a budget for the project, and looking at possible purchases. However, it was much too soon, and I didn't have the money. Then, I had half the money, and it was still too soon. So, I made a list of requirements for my project car, to waste some time until I had more cash, and the market was a bit larger. When people unload their projects to get some winter money in. The requirements were as follows.

#1: Nothing from 1960 or earlier. It'll just be a that much harder to find parts, and the car will need a hell of a lot more work if it's much older. Colorado is not classic-car friendly when it comes to rust.

#2: I have to *really* like the car. If you like the car, but it's not the one you always wanted or whatever, then it becomes harder and harder to invest time and money into it.

#3: It has to be running. That way, it can work as a rolling restoration, and a backup car if needs be. I can also use it as a runabout for parts and etc. All in the name of saving my empty wallet from further abuse.

#4: It has to be less than $1000, but I'll push up to 1.1k if it's something fantastic.

#5: Nothing extremely rare, or foreign. It just makes it harder and harder to find parts, and shops who can do work on the car that I'm incapable of doing.

#6: Nothing awful. By this, I didn't just mean condition, I meant.. the car itself cannot suck. No VW Bugs. No Corvairs. No fox body mustangs. No 4 cylinder anything. It has to exude cool. Or, at least.. potential for high quality style and cool.

etc, etc.

I mean, it's all just a waiting game, right? Right?

So, I set these rules, and the next week, I promptly broke them. Luckily, only one; number three. A big one, high up on the list.. but I'm an idiot, and can therefore be excused from the rational thought process when it comes to things I really like.

A 1974 duster.

Here it is, in all of it's rusty, speed-hole filled, "what the **** color is that?" glory.

Carpictures002-1.jpg

I love Dusters.

Another story, bear with me here...

Back about.. 10 years ago, I was involved in a rampant fight with a family member. The kind where doors are slammed, harsh words said, and later regretted. I had stormed out, taking a long walk around several short blocks. My mind boiling and festering with black clouds of upset and anger. I was barely noticing where I was going, but a Gold Duster in somone's driveway parted the clouds. All thought of anger and frustration vanished. I just stood and stared at this car. My mind was clear of all thoughts but one, "Damn.. That's a nice car... I want one." I must have stood there for 15 minutes, examining every detail, walking around it, peering inside, wishing I could pop the hood. It finally dawned on me, "Hey, this is somone's driveway. Let's not get arrested." I quickly scampered off. The car stuck with me. The color, the lines, the small whirlwind logo on the rear. Especially the name.

I've always been a very general car-fan. I never really gave thought to preference of Mopar vs. Chevy vs. Ford, etc. I've oggled classic Mustangs and Camaros.. But deep in the pits of my gasoline-fueled heart, the top spots of favor and unbridled lust have always gravitated to the 69 Chargers 440's, Hemi Cudas, 340 Dusters, Dart Swingers...

So when it came time to hunt for a project, what's the first thing I searched for? Yep. A bankruptcy attourney. ;) Nah. Dusters, of course!

So, storytime done with, here's the log of my restoration. This entry is actually about 10 months old, and I've been putting in as much weekend time as I can muster, so more updates to come, along with a hell of a lot of questions. As I've said elsewhere on here, I have a good bit of general knowledge but am sadly lacking in hands on experience. So, bear with me as I fumble with my carbs, and drop my headers, and punch holes in my sheet metal, and completely screw it up until I get it done right.

Heya Tom, it’s Bob from the office down the hall.."Good to see you buddy, how’ve you been?
Thing have been OK for me except that I’m a zombie now;
I really wish you’d let us in..."

So, when we last heard from the Duster, it was quietly rotting in a driveway. Tools in hand, I proudly cracked it open, and saw a bit of a mess. I did more research, and found out that it's basically been neglected for years. No battery, unsure of the last time it ran, rusted quarters, etc.

Being full of everlasting hope and complete optimism, I grabbed a wrench and... wait, no.. That's not me. No, being full of bile and bottomless pessimism, I grabbed a hammer and proceeded to work on the car.

First things first, I wanted to see how deep of a hole I had just liberally thrown my stupid butt into. I learned the vital stats, got some good info, and started planning on what to do.

So, vital stats on the duster..

Engine - 225 /6, hasn't been fired in about 9 years or so. Oh, and a three speed auto on the column. Single-barrel carb. Stock exhaust.. That is, if it had anything past the headers. It's just header, rusty pipe.. nothing. Crazily enough, everything else seems to be in good shape, other than being covered with an inch of grease, oil and dirt. Underneath the assorted filth of years the head cover is actually a pale blue.

Carpictures001-1.jpg

Suspension - Really basic here. No power steering. He-Man manual all the way. And, joy of joys! Sponge-soft drum brakes all around. Got to love drum brakes, because it's all sponge, sponge, sponge "Oh hai, I'm not stopping." push harder, more of the same, smash the pedal into the floor.. and promptly lock your tires and careen into a ditch. My first car had all drum brakes, so I'm used to this fantastic blend of not stopping followed by a healthy mix of death. Add cobblestone roads and you've got sideways death. It's a veritable tasty cocktail of "I'm going to hit you, or that tree. I haven't quite decided yet."

Carpictures009-1.jpg

Interior - Well, as you can see, it has big, shredded bench seats with springs that poke you in places you'd rather not have a spring poke you. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing, in which case, you'd *love* my seats. It has a kenwood CD player. With no face. So, it has a kenwood lump of plastic and wires that serves me no good goddamned purpose. Which is also exacerbated by the fact that it has no speakers, either. So, even if I could pop in a disc, it'd sound eerily like silence. The dashpad looks like it tried to mate with a lawn mower. So do the seats. The carpet is nasty yellow. Hell, the whole interior is nasty yellow.

Exterior - Fantastic 70's styling aside, you've seen the pictures of the speed holes. The trunk is cavernous. I lie to you not, it echoes when you talk into it. The hood is mismatched and warped. It has no passenger side mirror, but luckily for me, there are holes where there *used* to be one. Joy.

It even has a trailer hitch. That's gotta go.
Carpictures003.jpg

So, at the bottom of this hole I think to myself.. "Well, this is a deep hole." Better start digging up, stupid.

Well, it needed a battery. So, off to checker I strolled, and came back with a battery. Dropped that into a battery tray that was made more of air and hope than of actual metal. Hooked up the wires, and turned the key in the ignition. Yegods, it actually turned over, it didn't start, but it cranks. This filth-encrusted iron lump of an engine actually freaking moved. Spray a little "Starting fluid" (Basically, sweet, tasty ethanol in a can) into the carb, and try again. Crank, crank, crank, sputter. Again! Crank, crank, crank, sputter, cough, bang, sputter crank, sputter VROOOOOOOM. Sputter. Jeesum crow, it started. I actually got it to start, run, and idle for 5 minutes. I almost peed. It sounds like an angry pig with a migraine.

Check the elctricals afterwards, dome light works, headlights work.. yegods, even the turn signal works. Horn works. Whoops, sorry people under the hood. *snicker* Hell, the cigarette lighter works. This franken-car will live!

So, I started trying to clean up some of the rust, and primer the damn thing before it rusted out from under me during the oncoming winter. Life, however, had plans of its own. Plans that involved screwing me. Quite upsettingly badly.

Around September of 08', I lost my job (I'd give more details, but it's a long, stupid story. Cheap and easy like your mother version - New management wanted me to force customers to pay for stuff they didn't need. I thought this amounted to little more than robbery. They chose to ignore my +90% problem resolve rate, my +90% customer satisfaction rate, and politely "lay me off" because I wasn't bilking enough people out of money. They even told me when they let me go "You're a brilliant technician, you just aren't a good salesman. Yes, I know.. that's why I applied to this TECH SUPPORT JOB YOU IDIOTIC TWATS. Ahem, excuse me.) This, to me, marks a wonderful turning point. I lost my job, and the economy promptly takes a nosedive shortly therafter. A month after I lose my job, there's backroom whisperings of impending economic doom. I'm only beginning to wonder why Craigslist is so devoid of opportunities. Why Monster.com is trying to get me to be a sewer inspector.

You all should pretty much be able to guess what happened from here. I went broke, couldn't get a job, watched a hell of a lot of people I know lose their jobs, watched the job market evaporate, went on a few interviews, cheered over the new administration, went into debt, still couldn't find a job, etc. Finally, in January, I got lucky, and got a new job. Joy of joys, income! So, now we're working 9-5, getting paid occasionally, and trying to climb my way out of debt.

Up here, over a mile in the air, winter is finally slumping off to let spring and warmer temperatures come in. Which means, happily, that I can get back to work on my cars.

I made some progress this weekend. I finally got some nice weather, and a chance to turn a few wrenches on the car. I'd picked up some new sparkplugs for the Duster way back when, and they sat in the trunk until last weekend. On sunday, I got a chance to pop 5 of them in (The sixth was missing the bolt cap, I was pissed). I tend to hope for the best, but always expect the worst to actually happen. Doesn't mean I prepare for the worst, I just expect to get screwed in one way or another pretty much all the time. Life has taught me that this is a correct assumption.

Changing sparkplugs should be an easy affair. Take off wire, unscrew plug, grease up new plug, insert, plug wires back in, done. Except.. no. 4 were pretty easy, the fifth was a pain, the sixth was behind the damn alternator and took me 20 minutes to wiggle out, ripping my hand to shreds in the process. Only to discover my broken new plug, so.. I just had to put the least-destroyed 20 year old plug back in. Hopped into the car, turned the key... Nothing. Turned it back, then tried again, little bit of gas... onyl to be greeted by "ticktickticktick" of a starter spinning away with almost no juice.

So, I'm going through a checklist in my head. "new starter.. hmm 80-120$, new alternator.. maybe 150, probably more? New ignition.. crapcrapcrap.." Then, I realized I had done something stupid. I had left the battery hooked up since LAST SUMMER. It was damn lucky it even had enough of a charge to turn the starter once! So, laughing at my idiocy, I grab the jumper cables, and hook it up to the mustang. Wait a few minutes, then hop back in. Little bit of gas, turn the key, INSTANT VROOM! I was so shocked I yanked my hand away from the ignition and pulled my foot off the gas.. and it promptly died. "Hah, they was funny. Must have been a fluke." Turned the key again, and once more, it instantly started right up. I had hoped my starting issues would be fixed by a simple spark plug change, but I had never actually expected it to work!

So, now it starts like a champ, but the idle is still rough, and it sputters a fair bit. Most of that is due to the fact that the gas tank is basically empty. I only dropped a gallon in, last summer when I was trying to get it started. An oil change and putting it back in tune, and it'll run strong. I hope.

"I think I speak for all of us when I say I understand
Why you folks might hesitate to submit to our demands,
But here’s an FYI: you’re all gonna die screaming"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlznuyPOeM&feature=related

"You're On the list at every door,
You don't bowl or race fast cars.
Composition, competition, you drive."

(Warning! This entry is image-heavy! 56kers.. sorry!)

Well, another weekend of turning wrenches done with. Didn't get tons done, but it felt productive, so we'll rest upon the feeling of satisfaction.

First things first, I picked up a 6th spark plug, and quickly swapped that in. Then, I planned to do an oil change. However, cold oil doesn't drain as well, so I needed to warm up the engine a bit. Hop in, turn the key.. Sputter, clickclickclickclick. Arg. The damn battery is nearly dead.. again. I even left it unhooked this time! Guess I didn't charge it enough. Once again, pop the mustang into the driveway, run the cables, let it charge idle for a minute or two, and then.. *turn key* vrooom! Sweet. Step out of the car, sputter, sputter die. Damnit. Needs more gas. So, I dump another gallon and a half in. Then, start, run, sputter die? What the hell? Try it again, listening very carefully.. Start, vroom.. try to idle, choke, cough die. Oh. Damn. My idle is really off.

So, once again, under the hood and fiddling with knobs and switches. No, not actually. Fiddling with one screw. I love old cars. Carburetors are so easy to work on. Just use a screwdriver and adjust my idle mixture, and *poof*, the Duster is idling away just fine.

Videos!

Yes, that's the remains of my exhaust pipe.

It sounds like several large, angry pigs.

Once there's a muffler on it, it'll sound less amusing, which is sad. it will be street-legal however, which is happy.

So, so far.. to get an engine, that's been sitting in a field for nearly a decade, running.. It's required 6 spark plugs, a new battery, some replacement fuel lines, and a screwdriver. I hope the rest of the work is this easy!

So, the carb is mostly dialed in. It's running a bit rich, but otherwise fine. I let it idle for a while. Occasionally playing with the throttle and listening to the pigs roar. Smoke starts to billow from the engine compartment. Swearing a blue streak, I rush up and start looking for signs of death and fire. The people around me are getting worried that my project is about to explode in flames. Then, I start laughing. Why? because last time I was working on it, I sprayed a good coat of degreaser all over the block and head, to break up the accumulated filth of years.

Eww. Anyways, a nice coat of degreaser had pooled into some places on the block and exhaust header, and was burning off. No death by fire for my car!
After it ran for a while, I shut it down and crawled underneathwith a drip pan and my gloves on. The oil pan drain was easy as pie to find and release. I'm also very glad I had my gloves on. The initial glut of oil all over my hand was very warm and very messy. Without too much of a mess later, I had the pan drained, and the old filter pulled.

Mmm.. 10 year old oil..

Carpictures005-1.jpg

4qts drained, oil filter swapped, new oil in..
Pretty good progress, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not just working on the car on weekends, either. During the week I'm getting my gearhead groove on by dreaming up what I want to turn this junker into. Some time with google image seearch and photoshop..
So without further ado.. I introduce you to..
Project Duster.

ProjectDusterSM.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have a looker on my hands when all is done.

The wheel/rim combo on the image is a bit much, though. I'll most likely leave the stocks with the dog dishes on until I decide what I want it to roll on. I'll also have to figure out if I'm going to to a disc swap on it, or just try and rebuild the drums. That'll be a learning experience!

Twistex,
see--- the Captain and I are not the only ones with stories to tell.
I do find it interesting that you are going to leave the /6 in rather than put in an 8.
Looking foward to reading more tales, and seeing the transformation. Remember "If you don't qiut, you win"
Andrew
Hey I just noticed, the car you bought is a '74, but your artwork is '71-'72, What's up?

Great read for this morning Twistex Thanks for sharing
build yourself a nice 225/ :thumleft:

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

DOMINOS 030.jpg

Twistex,
see--- the Captain and I are not the only ones with stories to tell.
I do find it interesting that you are going to leave the /6 in rather than put in an 8.
Looking foward to reading more tales, and seeing the transformation. Remember "If you don't qiut, you win"
Andrew
Hey I just noticed, the car you bought is a '74, but your artwork is '71-'72, What's up?

Well, we've all got stories. Most of mine aren't really mopar-related, though. There's quite a bit of playing dodge the fuzz in a Maverick, drag racing coworkers on night shift, hassling IBM security, snow drifitng, etc. etc. I'll leave the storytelling to The Captain, though. The only things I've ever had published are a few poems in school, a couple of journalism articles, and a hell of a lot of tech support knowledgebase entries.

I'm leaving the /6 in because I don't currently have the money or time for an 8 swap, not to mention my other project car. (A 1980 firebird with a built 400 somone recently gave to me.) Once the Firebird is done, I'll enjoy it for a while, then I'll probably sell it and put some money back into the duster. I might also be looking for a 68 dart when I have the money. :)

I snagged the image off of a google image search, then edited it to do a test image of how I wanted the stripes, callouts and paint to look. It's mostly just to give myself a frame of reference. I'm no great shakes as an artist, but I can cobble together an image or two, so when I can't actually work on the car, I tend to fiddle with stuff like that.

Suggestion:
Scale down the photo size. The post is interesting read, but the side to side necessary to read it all makes one sea-sick.

Suggestion:
Scale down the photo size. The post is interesting read, but the side to side necessary to read it all makes one sea-sick.

Aye, it wouldn't let me edit the post, so I edited the image. It should be smaller now.

No phone, no pool, no pets.
I ain't got no cigarettes..

After much delay, work on Project Duster resumes.
As with most people these days, job sucks, finances suck, and things look generally grim and gray and crap in the world. So, for months now, I've been collecting bits and bobs and parts for the interior of the car, and a few weeks ago, I started doing the only sane thing to do with the car this moment.. Gutting it like a big, rusty fish.

stuffs005-1.jpg

The seats were a might tricky to pull. The bench seat bolts were found *under* the car, and the rear bench was an absolute bear to unhook from a very badly-designed retention system. However, as you see above, they all got pulled and dumped uncerimoniously onto the ground. This left me with a clean floor to work from. And by clean, I mean..

stuffs004-1.jpg

"OH dear god, it's like something died in here."

Mmm.. 30 year old black rubber mats and padding and fiberfill. Joy. So, that all had to be ripped out. The deconstruction was actually kind of fun. Grabbing handfulls of flooring and just tearing it out with wild aplomb. What a way to vent frustrations. Feeling pent up? Go tear up some carpet. ;) (For those who get that joke, shame on you, for making that joke, shame on me. But I digress.)

After that I was left with, well, a hollow car.
stuffs003-1.jpg

However, at that point, it began to rain, and I was forced to load it all back into the car (Just toss it in, not re-bolt it or anything), and wait for more suitable weather.

Well, because this deranged mountan state has the equivalent of a constantly binging drunk weather-god, it's basically rained every day for 5 months. Which keeps somone from painting, or working on fabrics and porous things when outdoors, which is where I have to work. (This lack of a garage is really starting to bug me. I want a hosue at this point, not because I want a house, but I actually just want a garage.)

So, weeks went by as I stared out the window, watching it rain. Madness and depression set in. I began to eat live chickens, and put on puppet shows for the amusement of my Geek memorobilia. I played far more Fallout 3 than is reasonably healthy.

Then, the sky broke, and the clouds.. remained exactly where they were. I just got sick of waiting and decided to try and sneak some painting and more interior destruction work in this weekend.

First, I went to continue removing the interior trim. I removed a single piece of interior trim when my world was beset by foul spawn from hell.

WIP005.jpg

WASPS

Yes, that is a wasp nest in my driver-side doorjamb.

WIP004.jpg

And what's this? Is it another wasp nest in my passenger-side doorjamb? Why, yes, it is! Awww, and I didn't get you anything, Satan. How sweet.

So, after committing wasp genocide with large amounts of insect killer, and some running around, screaming "They're in my hair, they're in my hair!", the vile beasts were dead.. Mostly. A few wandered round and attempted to trap me inside the car. They soon learned the penalty for crossing me.

That penalty being.. I sprayed bug killer randomly at them while running away and squealing like a little girl.

I really don't like wasps.

Anyways, I was finally able to get the interior pulled.. again..
WIP007.jpg

Quite thoroughly pulled.

WIP003.jpg

I found two wiper blades in there. Apaprently, an empty speaker hole = "Storage".

Once all the trim was yanked out with wild and reckless abandon, each piece was carefully washed, dried and set aside on convienently placed newspapers and tarps. Then, coated with rich, decadent, single-shot coats of spray on Vinyl stain from a rattlecan. I spare no expense in being cheap.

It actually worked pretty well.

WIP001.jpg

And more trim being painted.
WIP002.jpg

It looked really good when dry, actually. However, by then, it was getting late, and threatening rain again. So, it all went into the trunk for another weekend. Hopefully, this next weekend, when I can tackle the dash, steering column/wheel, door panels, and headliner. No more grungy, ugly, faded, 70's yellow!

Oh, and while tearing apart the seats, I found TWO buildsheets. Which is awesome.

stuffs006-1.jpg

One is worse for wear, and the other is damn near immaculate. I'll get some better pictures of those later.

Now, let's hope the weather doesn't completely suck next weekend, so I can do it all again.

(And yes, I checked the firebird for wasps, too. Apparently, these are MOPAR wasps, and will have nothing to do with GM products.)

I'm a Man of Means by no means,
...King of the Road.

-
Back